Curb Appeal Help
poorgirl
I have attached a picture of the front of the house that is desparate need of some help.
I am painting the front door/storm door gloss black. So we can see what it looks like before ordering a new door.
Could you please advise if I should paint the entire trim around the 2 side lights in black also or should I paint in in Sandalwood. What colour should I paint the small pieces of white side that are above the door and the window/garage.
We have ordered a new front window with 3 panes. 1/4 /1/2/ 1/4/ and the trim is in Sandalwood.
New soffits/eases will be in a colour lighter or darker than the sandalwood.
We can't afford to change out the garage door yet so I will also paint that in one of the above colours. Im hoping someone could tell me which colour to paint it.

The driveway will get a top coat to freshen it up.
We would like to change the walkway but we don't really know what to do there, we are open to removing the garden since I planted all shade plants and ended up needing sunny plants.
We had to take out a large maple tree due to disease and now the house it really open. We are in Ontario .

All your suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.
I Davidson
Hi - I was wondering if gloss black is not too severe. What about a deep charcoal grey?The window and door trims could be wider. Grey and cream would be nice choices. The garage doors could be blended more into the shade of brick. Also, I would bring the shrubs away from the house. A Mugo pine is ok for -40 and has a good width to it.
September 17, 2012 at 9:59AM   
HI -- poorgirl -- Yes, paint the whole door area in the black, You could add a decorative wide door trim on each side on top of the brick ,then that could be the sandalwood , then also do the sandalwood over and on the garage door and the trim on the front window. The roof edge can be done in the black , that will bring the look of the roof down a bit and I think that will look good with the door being black. If you don't want to do that then use the sandalwood there also. I hope this helps .
September 17, 2012 at 11:13AM     
A black and tan exterior color (with a touch of white) looks so pretty and sophisticated. I would also suggest a larger light sconce to give the entrance more importance. Check out this link to see how pretty black/tan looks. OH..i think semi-gloss for the door may look better than high gloss here. http://www.houzz.com/black-and-tan-exterior-house-color
September 17, 2012 at 11:30AM     
cyn222
I would have a picture I would like to send you with a very simple landscaping and door color.
cynkloeter@gmail.com
September 17, 2012 at 11:58AM   
poorgirl
Oh wow Cny222 I am going to send you and email right now. Thanks so much.

Also, I have included a picture of the door which I just painted.
Let me now what you guys all think. I like it, I think it looks better than before .
September 17, 2012 at 12:38PM   
poorgirl
Sorry, my picture didn't come up, here it is again.
Lefty47, do you think I should have black eavetroughs.? Or the Sandalwood or a 3rd colour.
I thought I was suppose to be working with 3 colours. I would like to paint the garage area next, should it be the Sandalwood?
I would like to do this this week if we have some good weather. Pretty iffy up here for weather so I have to paint while I can.

thanks so much
September 17, 2012 at 12:44PM   
poorgirl
Darzy, I think you might be right that the paint could be Semi-gloss, it's pretty glossy right now and I still have a touch up job to do.
Unfortunately I can't take the light back and I have one to go over the garage the same, right now the hole is not centered in garage door so my husband is going to fix that one we get the new siding for there.
Thanks everyone, your comments are greatly appreciated.
Since we cut the maple down the tree on the left has gone wild, we are debating weather to keep it and cut the top off or cut it out and put in a privacy panel and extend the walkway out to were the gared is. Our neighbours are always putting their garbage and junk on the side of their house which happens to be at our entrance.
September 17, 2012 at 12:53PM   
Decoration du Monde
I love the framed look created by the two pines. That is particularly attractive. It also helps to direct the eye away from the garage. ( Sorry world but garages are not attractive as an architectural interest.) I would trim the long needle pine to give it more interest. I would suggest looking at some Bonsai type shaping (note: do not make the tree smaller but trim it so it has a more graceful curvilinear shape to it.) I would also move the Mugo pines away from directly in front of the door push them off to the side. If you could create an meandering walk way from the curb to the front door that would help to direct the eye away from the garage and to the front door. Also in my opinion the white trim needs to be painted either a brick red to coordinate and blend with the brick or a deep forest green to give the dark roof something to rest on rather than looking like it is floating. A red door would add warmth to the exterior and be very inviting. It would be especially attractive with painting the trim a dark pine or forest green.

Bon chance, and I hope to see what you have done with the final decisions.
September 17, 2012 at 12:54PM   
It looks great! Makes me think the window might look good in black too, but its up to you.. Try some liriope to flank the drive. It will cover the uneven edge a bit. Maybe a good power washing will help and you won't have to resurface it. I'd remove the short green bushes across the front of your home and also the tall tree on the right of the window. Get a stump grinder to take the rest of that tree stump out in front. Since the ground rises there it might be a good spot for a focal point flower bed. When you get a bigger lantern, get bigger house numbers and put them to the right of your lantern vertically. I'm guessing there is a coat closet to the left in your entry so you may be able to tap into electric there and take it to the left side of the porch so you can install a second lantern.
September 17, 2012 at 12:55PM   
poorgirl
decoenthusiaste, thanks for jump on this so fast. Yes the stump will be coming out but it was such a massive tree we have treated the stump and will not be removing it until next spring. The roots are massive and I can't even dig 1 foot into the garden. My husband will kill me if I replace this lamp again. (then again I can take them to the cottage) OK what do you suggest for lights. I am begging him to put another light on the left. It's so wierd that every house on our street only has one light.
Yes the closet in on the left inside. No, it's time to coat the driveway anyway after powerwashing so it will be done. I will check what liriope is. I was thinking about bringing a walkway down to about 1/2 way down the driveway from the front door, or extending the gardens and putting a small 3 high retaining wall around the garden.
I like the sandalwood with the brick, the brink has alot of taupe and a pinky hue to it.

Decoration du Monde, yes I agree a walkway would make it more interesting. Im not good at pruning anything, the tree on the left was suppose to be all pruned into balls, now look at it. I have already tried a red/wine colour door and right now the door is Polo Blue (BM which is suppose to be almost black, we didn't like either of them. So far the black has looked the best. There is a burgandy in the brick not a real red.

Also I have 2 -3' planters that I thought I would put beside the door, the planters at in a v shape where they are larger up to and go smaller at the bottom. They are grey right now but they can be painted.
I haven't used them since I didn't know what colour to paint them.
I will post a pic of them beside the door.
September 17, 2012 at 1:09PM   
Custom Home Planning Center
Consider when you add a modern insulated steel or fiblerglass door the storm door is a unnessary and poor first impression. Look at the possible choices for a screen door with style and the added benifit of getting a nice breeze on temperate days. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=image+of+screen+doors&view=detail&id=1CC51D18A6CFD77861AFB891F356B3CFD1070A61&first=586
September 17, 2012 at 1:52PM   
poorgirl
Hi Custom, yes we have considered just the steel door, unfortunately there are days that I can't even get out my front door due to so much snow, we face south and always have drifting at the door, but the storm door that I would consider would be a full pane door.
September 17, 2012 at 1:55PM   
cyn222
Black looks nice on door. Maybe not being solid helps!
September 17, 2012 at 6:18PM   
nasmijati
I agree with the suggestions to paint the garage door the same as the brick color. (Sandalwood)

Feng Shui design places house numbers in the horizontal position only.
September 19, 2012 at 4:42PM   
modern11526
I think the landscaping is great already, but you could definitely use some flowers like a hydrangea
September 19, 2012 at 5:46PM   
Curb Appeal or should I say LACK OF Curb Appeal, HELP!!
Hi All, we are preparing the inside of our Pacific...
Need some help with curb appeal!!! HELP
We are putting new siding,windows and doors in our...
I need some help with curb appeal! PLEASE HELP!
The house is a yellow, with black shutters and grey...
NEED CURB APPEAL PAINT HELP...JUST HELP
This is our home. The first pic is an old pic – we...
Need help with curb appeal. Curved drive? Porch? Paint? Help!
Renovating. Already need a new roof, paint and gutters...
Should I paint?
This is the back of my house, My Ftint door is SW burnt...
2 different colors and styles of kitchen cabinets...
I was wondering if having 2 different colors and styles...
Need help on remodling my bathroom.
Okay, here we go. I have a small master bathroom....
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...