Would using two different granites look good?
Claire RB
We are redoing our kitchen, and have chosen cherry shaker cabinets, using the same design and amber stain throughout (perimeter and island). I have chosen a very light and calm kashmir white slab for the counter tops, and am tempted to use absolute black granite on the island, which is 72 inches by 24 inches, with a curved overhang for eating. I like the idea of mixing it up, but am not sure if using both granites would work or just look incoherent. My pendants are wrought iron, my pulls are brushed nickel, my appliances are stainless, and my floor is natural finished oak. Thanks!
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Perhaps the different wood hues are enough variety and the granite could be consistent?
September 17, 2012 at 5:39PM   
Claire RB
Thanks, Insideout, but actually all the cabinets in the kitchen are the same amber stain. Or did you mean because cherry in and of itself has a lot of variation?
September 17, 2012 at 5:59PM   
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Hi, I was thinking of the cherry with amber stain being different than the natural oak floors. Albeit within the same yellow/gold family I would guess.
September 17, 2012 at 6:08PM   
Claire RB
Oh, I see your point now. The cabinets are darker and more reddish than the floor. Do you think using two granites would look too busy or somehow not make sense? I love how each of the granites looks with the cherry, and because they are both neutral, I thought the combo might work and look interesting -- but maybe it would look as if I just couldn't make up my mind! I've seen a kitchen that used both of these granites, but the cabinetry on the island was also different from that of the perimeter. Mine cabinetry, of course, is all the same. Thanks for your opinion!
September 17, 2012 at 6:24PM   
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
One more thought, if you decide upon using the same granite then you may want to ask yourself if you need the lights on often or if the sun shines brightly into the space. White or black would be better, respectively. Note also that if you get alot of sun, honing the granite would cut down on the blinding reflectiveness. I look forward to reading other designer's comments, Bon Appetit!
September 17, 2012 at 7:00PM   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think you can use the two together, although normally I do this with a different finish on the island. I like Insideout's idea of using honed granite, perhaps on the island, That way, it's not only a different colorway but a different finish. How big is your kitchen? If it's a large kitchen, I think it can take the change in finish. If it's small, I don't know that I would introduce another countertop finish.
As Insideout also noted, pay attention to the amount of light you get in the room, If it's dark anyway, you might want to think twice about introducing the Absolute Black, which will kind of suck the light.
September 17, 2012 at 8:30PM   
Claire RB
Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. The kitchen is roughly 14.5 x 19, but not a complete rectangle: the south wall runs 13 feet, then bumps in 3.5 feet (there's a closet in the adjoining hall) and then continues for 6. That creates the nook for our breakfast table. I hope that makes sense! We have a double casement on the west wall over the sink, and three windows on the north wall, so the room is neither dark nor super sunny. We have ceiling can lights, two 3-light pendants for over the island, a 6-light fixture over the table and under cabinet lighting. The paint is Ben. Moore Edgemont Gray.

I'd say I feel very committed to my particular slab of kashmir white, which is very pretty, so if I were to choose just one granite, I would use that all over. However, I do like the idea of contrast on the island, to add interest. Do you think it would work given the details I've laid out? Also, I was thinking I'd do polished all around; do you think honed on the island would look better? I haven't chosen the stain for the floor yet.; the man is coming today to create a few samples for me. We are refinishing the orignal floor, which is variable width oak. I was thinking of using a natural, which also would blend with the adjoining dining room. What do you think?
September 18, 2012 at 5:10AM   
Kathryn Peltier Design
First of all, I think you should try to blend your kitchen floor with the dining room floor, since it is the same material, so that decision is done :-) I - personally - like the idea of the honed black on the island, but if what attracts you to it is the polished look, then I think you can go with it. You already have the wrought iron fixtures, so you have black as a finish in the room already. The st.st. appliances and the nickel pulls work nicely with that, too (i.e. if you'd said your metals were oiled bronze, I don't think adding the black granite would work as well). Do you have samples of the granites? See if you can get several of each color so that you can lay them out and live with them for a few days. I think it will work, so try the colors out, and if you like them, do what makes you happy!
September 18, 2012 at 5:34AM   
Claire RB
That's exactly what I'll do. I just requested the counter guy to bring me a few different types of black granite samples, some honed, some polished, and I'll see how I like them with my kashmir white sample. And I have always loved honed granite and soapstone, so I'm excited that that might work. I really appreciate your help.
September 18, 2012 at 6:00AM   
Kathryn Peltier Design
You are welcome! I hope you'll post photos when you're done, or at least let us know how it turned out. Post again if you think we can be of any help :-)
September 18, 2012 at 6:18AM   
Claire RB
Thanks! I sure will.
September 18, 2012 at 6:24AM   
Pantry Moths - The WORST!
This morning I saw the tell tale flutter out of the...
1925 Dark Wood Trim: To Keep or Not to Keep?
So we are buying a home, and usually design comes very...
Please help me with my lighting!
I know, duplicate post, but forgot to add pics and...
Need help with my Kitchen layout
Hi all. My husband and I just recently bought our first...
Storybook Ranch needs facelift and curb appeal
Our first house together! And I'm stuck dealing with...