Need help with kitchen remodel
coolui
can anyone recommend using either 1 - 36" tall pantry or 1 each 15" and 21" tall pantry? both will have roll out drawers. the concern is if the 36" will be too difficult to pull out and/or the 15" and 21" we will loose a lot of storage space usage.

thx!
Custom Home Planning Center
The two will cost you more than the one and double kicks will look strange.
September 17, 2012 at 9:18pm   
coolui
thx..i lost sight of the costing. its 1 36" pantry!
September 17, 2012 at 9:23pm   
Will they have roll-out drawers, or roll-out shelves? I have roll-out shelves in both my pantries and I had to add baskets and clear plastic bins to keep the contents from finding the floor. So if yours are shelves, my advice is to make your selection based on what size "containers" will fit the best!
September 18, 2012 at 4:00am   
coolui
will be shelves...mostly for pantry usage, etc. we have enuf drawers for other things but thanks for bringing this up.
September 18, 2012 at 12:21pm   
bprince300
If you stick with the 36" width you can fit all kinds of organizational pieces inside. two 16" w. pull outs for instance in metal or wood, with 3" sides to contain the items, 34" lazy susans to access large items, lots more. Look at Rev-a-shelf.com Everything/anything you can think of or just ideas on how the space might be used.... (I dont work for them - just love their products)
September 18, 2012 at 12:45pm   
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi Coolui,

Because both options have roll-out shelves, the usable space is greater in the single 36" cabinet, as you're not losing room for the additional cabinet and shelf sides and the related hardware two cabinets would have.

Steve
September 18, 2012 at 1:53pm     
coolui
hi steve and bprince, thanks for your feedback!
September 18, 2012 at 2:55pm     
Wow Great Place
I agree with BobbiP's comment....a roll-out shelf has no side edges to keep things from toppling over.

When I have a pantry made for clients, we always do roll-out drawers (basically a drawer box with no drawer face on it, so you open the pantry door and pull out the drawer)

The higher sides keep everything in place as you pull the drawer back and forth to reach the stuff at the back.

Having no sides means things will fall off, and you'll end up with a jumble of "where'd it go" junk on the very bottom of the pantry!

And I also agree with the other posters (and my buddy Steve!), that a single 36" pantry will not only cost less, but will give you more usable space.

On a side note, I'm not a big fan of those giant all-in-one pull out units. You don't ever need to see everything in your pantry all at once, they can get loaded down with stuff that make them heavy to pull out, and if they break, hoo boy....
September 18, 2012 at 3:27pm     
Wow, I am stunned by the idea that there could be pull out pantry shelves without edges to keep things in. What possible use are they? We have a pull out pantry that is like the "giant all in one pull out units" but it is in two sections: Two tall shelves upper; two tall shelves lower. They pull out separately and have sides to them so nothing falls out. We adore them, and they fit everything including a double layer of big glass canisters with all of my dried beans, rice, etc. They are original to the house (1920), but probably had new runners put in at some point over the years. But we've been using them for almost 20 years with not a speck of trouble.
September 18, 2012 at 3:45pm     
Wow Great Place
Feeny, I have seen some great units out there, but I also see people get the massive ones, and load them up with a ton of canned goods, then they wonder why the thing keeps falling off the track!

And yes, if you have a cabinetmaker that is not so awesome, you can end up with pull out shelves that are really SHELVES, or that have sides that are so low, the slightest movement sends the stuff at the back falling over the edge!
September 18, 2012 at 3:49pm   
coolui
sorry all...embarassing as it may be, i have to clarify that there are pull out drawers albeit with a 3" depth. thx to everyone and i have my answer that 36" pantry is the best. love the callout re "giant all in one pull out units. they look so nice at the showroom but once they are filled up...we wont be young forever and could be an issue as we get older. HA!
September 18, 2012 at 3:57pm     
Wow Great Place
We're a picky lot about terminology here, aren't we? LOL
Glad you found your answers!! Enjoy your new kitchen!
September 18, 2012 at 3:59pm     
BeautifulRemodel.com
Lol, I did think you meant drawers and not shelves. Ive only ever seen or used flat shelves on an entertainment cabinet for components. They are perfect for those :)
September 18, 2012 at 4:52pm   
Need help with kitchen remodel and attaching great room remodel
Northwest rustic riverside cabin/house: now full time...
Kitchen remodel -- Need help updating small dark kitchen
Need help updating small U-shaped kitchen. We're willing...
Need help on Kitchen and Bathroom remodel HELP PLEASE
Please help me with my kitchen and bathroom. In the...
Help!!! We're remodeling and need help with living room/kitchen
We're on a budget :( Everything cost more than we planned...
Need help with my kitchen remodel
I am about to remodel this kitchen with my contractor....
saving money on painting work
We are considering remodeling a 1929 Tudor house and...
An odd place for an ugly door, how can I camouflage it?
This door in my master leads onto the hot tub deck,...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Have you ever had a laundry disaster?
You open the doors to the laundry machine and out falls...
Need reviews on faux wood vinyl planking designer image flooring
Any cons on using the designer image vinyl planking...