Opening Sun Room to Living Room
mdiscipio
September 18, 2012
I recently purchased a 1945 home on the ocean in Marblehead, MA. I have completed some temporary renovations as seen in the pics below, however I am considering opening up some walls to take advantage of the ocean views. Specifically between the living and sunroom I was considering removing the wall to creat a "great room" effect opening ocean views into sunroom and garden views into living room. I was thinking of a library effect against backwall with 3 sets of french doors going out to garden. Our baby grand piano would also be moved to this area. Do you agree in removing the wall completely or should we remove a portion to maintain a pass-thru feel?
miowie
I think I would take it out completely....I like wide open spaces
4 Likes    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 5:32PM
Karen Heffernan
Lucky you! Marblehead is gorgeous, and your home looks lovely. If I had a home with ocean views, I would definitely want maximize the views and open up as much as possible.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 5:32PM
hoppenrey
Open it up and let the view in! The window is far too distracting to be left as is.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 5:39PM
lindataylor01
yes..open it up to the sunroom.. I think it would create nice flow..
1 Like    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 5:43PM
Linda Hall
Definitely open it up completely!
lorisea03
Absolutely open it!
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 5:46PM
Vito Villa
The mini pane look is very 1942. I say open it all the way up. Make sure you get engineered beams for the spans and watch out for hidden electrical and plumbing in the walls.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 5:46PM
Susan Glenn
Open it up!!! I LOVE the look of a large space that has separate areas defined by furniture placement...that house is GORGEOUS!!! Ooh....I didn't realize that you have a heat register on that wall and the sunroom is probably NOT included in "livable space". The next thing to consider is to remove the PANES...a solid piece of glass is going to be FAR less intrusive than all those separate panes. That might (will) be a cheaper fix with decent impact before figuring how to remove that entire wall, open a formal area with a smooth ceiling into a space with a vaulted, unfinished ceiling that is paneled in what looks like T-111.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 5:55PM
Susan Glenn
Let me add: if it's feasible and you have the bucks....tear it out. You have an oceanfront house so you can have an ocean view...and if it's on that side of the house, you need to take advantage of it somehow!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 5:57PM
mdiscipio
My original thought was to tear it out completely - but then didnt know whether I should use beams or columns to define the separate areas. I think I am leaning more and more with the tear down of the wall ...
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:07PM
Carole MacInnis
Open it up, we just added a sun room to our home, we live in it!!! It is hard to leave it, very relaxing, restful. Check for the stability of the structure before you remove walls.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:09PM
seabeewyfe
Open it up! You won't be sorry!
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:18PM
reelgold
Perhaps mine is a contrarian view, but the idea of preserving your lovely 1940s architecture in style, if not in substance, is something to consider if you are going to tear down walls and take out windows. Plus, depending on how large the rooms are, you can wind up with a space that lacks focus: Is it a sunroom? Is it a living room? I totally understand about wanting to bring in the views, but having an architect or interior designer show you some options via sketches or ideas from other well-done renovations in your neighborhood might help.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:19PM
sedlock carpentry
How about leaving the side lights intact and opening the center and installing french doors? That way you have the option of both semi-open plan and separate rooms with views. Use matching doors to the garden to mirror the interior french doors.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:54PM
dmussori
partially
1 Like    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:58PM
roomi
How many of those small pane windows are there between the two rooms. It is one or two? If its two I think remove the one opposite the best view and put an opening with lintel support and open out totally the section of the outside wall with sympathetic fold away doors. I would keep the small pane window on the outside wall somewhere as if you take away everything and make it all glass its not really in keeping with the style of the home. I think the trick is finding small pane doors which vanish if you want them to.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:14PM
tanquin
please tell me where you purchased your couch or the brand name - i've been searching for one just like it
open up to the sunroom :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:26PM
HI --- YES ,YES, YES, take it out completely , I think it will look great !
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:33PM
Kathy Martz_Walsh
If you can afford it, go for it if you can see the ocean from the house
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 7:57PM
olderthebetter
I agree! Take it out. Sounds beautiful. Lucky you.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:04PM
Lynette C
I think if you have the money I would change the sloped ceiling of the verandah to the same height as the loungeroom, so the windows can be higher to allow you to see the sky and any trees. Or if money is an issue, I would at least have clear skylights to give height and space, that will match the space of the large room of the lounge room. either way how special to sit and have the choice of a quiet cosy garden, or mmmmm the ocean! Love to see pics of what you decide.
Instead of the shared window , you have some kind of folding doors or doors that slide internally into the walls, allows the rooms to be closed off for heating and cooling. I like sedlock carpentary's idea
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:08PM
mdiscipio
Couch was purchased from Mitchell Gold and pillows came from Jamieson Interiors
1 Like    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:16PM
Roots and Rafters
I know that I'm definitely in the minority here, but I really dislike open floorplans. They afford no privacy, they increase noise in the house, and they severely limit your decorating and furniture placement options -- just to name three objections.

That said, you can take advantage of your gorgeous views by partially removing the wall and either creating an archway or installing glass french doors to the sunroom. Something like the attached would be ideal!

Good luck with your remodel. I'm sure it will be lovely, whatever you decide.
4 Likes    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:46PM
jingstad
Because of the heat registers, and the size and format of the room...it looks like it might be a bit of a problem to completely move the wall. I would remove the window...make a shelf along the base of the window space...above the heat register. Then frame around the window with the same architectural framework that is around the built in bookcases. This will give you the view of the ocean, the open conversation betweent the two rooms and a nice serving area for the dining area.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 9:06PM
Cynthia Race
Take out as much (or all) of the wall as you can. Open spaces are fantastic. My ex and I knocked down two walls to make a great room, and put a french door between one room and another to open the flow in the home.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 9:40PM
Healing Spaces
The resolution is based on the depth of your pockets and dealing with a home improvement project (while living there?). Structurally if you want to put in a french door pair then position so they open into the sunroom where you have room for the swing. This will be costly: have to remove the heating radiator. New header over door area. The condition of the sun room/three season room: is it really a 4 season room with heat and insulation? If not, you will need the french doors to seal it off from the formal living room unless you insulate and heat it. You will have to deal with furniture placement as you have lots of furniture in the room. Will you put the sectional on the picture window side and the chairs where the sectional is now? Then will you omit the table between the chairs just to be able to open one of the doors to get through? Of all the ideas posted I really like the idea of taking the central section(s?) of the picture window out and then creating a wide ledge or bar either as part of the window sill, recreated or put in even below the window where you can set up a bar with bar stools (or not). The problem with paned windows or doors= they block views! So if you want a view to the ocean which I think you have, then open things up. Paint the trim of windows dark so they disappear and you see the view first. White trim stops the eye and doesn't allow for an easy view. Pick a Historic Color from the Benjamin Moore line and you can't go wrong! Do the same dark trim on the sun-room windows and the repeat of the same colors will tie the two rooms together. Good luck and update us!
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 3:49AM
We tore down a structural wall on the back of our house (replaced with a hidden steel beam) to open up the space and add a sunroom addition that is continuous with our kitchen. It was the best decision we ever made. I was worried about changing the feel of our 1920's house, but we made sure to match the details of the new room and windows to the rest of the house, so it blends beautifully. So if I were you I'd open up the space.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 4:32AM
bdarrow
There doesn't seem to be a way to open those windows. A cheap fix would be to have draw drapes over the "french windows" that would let the light through and block out the sun room. This would give you a cozy feel but you will sacrifice the view. I think the couch is wrong. It should face the fireplace...
Be sure and let us know what you end up doing.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 4:44AM
I agree with opening up the spaces to bring more light inside.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 5:23AM
Brush Park Studio
I love the window as an architectural feature, i disagree and believe the window should stay. Keeping the wall of glass creates interest of whats behind the wall, or I can't wait to get into that room. Also it allows you to create two very different spaces for more interest!
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 5:37AM
The Design House Interior Design
We had a client with the same dilemma. We designed an option where the sunroom was open to the rest of the house but to give it a little separation from the great room we designed large modern columns to divide the spaces. Our clients loved the result, take a look at the before and after pictures of their space.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 11:43AM
mostlyblackcats
To quote Scooby, "Absorutry!" I would take it all the way out and enjoy that space on a daily basis.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 11:47AM
cindyvelt
the room looks so cozy, i like the french door idea. Then you have the best of both worlds.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 4:28PM
Elizabeth Bishop
I love your room! It's so cozy! It does appear a little tight though, and could use some opening up. I like the idea of just taking out the window, because it creates more visual interest from one room to another to leave a partial wall. But, with that said, I see an issue of getting around the couch because it appears that it could block the opening. ... You have great taste in colors and furniture! Good luck.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 7:57PM
TKraft Art & Interiors
YES!!! Open up the wall between the two rooms by removing the entire wall, then add a set of good quality french doors on the outside wall. Also when time and money prevails change out that existing interior door in the sun room side to a solid panel door for more architectural detailing. You have great taste and impeccable style, I love the lighting in the sun room but once you remove the wall consider adding new LED rope light up on the top trim board (non-visible) running around the room for up-lighting and drama. Lucky you to have some ocean views in Marblehead, MA.
    Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 8:34AM
open plan or 2 rooms - kitchen and living / dining room
struggling if to do 2 rooms or open plan extension...
boylesamantha
Need ideas on how to open up the kitchen/dining-room/living room
Was thinking of tearing out the overhead cabinets or...
Justin Castleman
Color Help living room and sun room
This room has been re-arranged however I am having...
kimwilliams0919
Need curtain advise for Open Space Living Room/Dining Room/Kitchen
Hi, I am trying to decide what to do with the many...
mackayc
Black vinyl windows
I am looking for black windows - single hung. I want...
simplegrl
Last chance for curtains - yes/no?
Our house is very much a reno work in progress - please...
oleigh
Help needed with a 1970's bathroom
This 1970's bathroom needs a fresh coat of paint and...
veronc
Need help organizing my tiny (do-it-all) Entryway in my Kitchen!
I really need help organizing this space (if that's...
Cynthia B
Need ideas!
This is my "formal" living room. I would love some...
jodiezerega