Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdiscipio

Opening Sun Room to Living Room

mdiscipio
11 years ago
I recently purchased a 1945 home on the ocean in Marblehead, MA. I have completed some temporary renovations as seen in the pics below, however I am considering opening up some walls to take advantage of the ocean views. Specifically between the living and sunroom I was considering removing the wall to creat a "great room" effect opening ocean views into sunroom and garden views into living room. I was thinking of a library effect against backwall with 3 sets of french doors going out to garden. Our baby grand piano would also be moved to this area. Do you agree in removing the wall completely or should we remove a portion to maintain a pass-thru feel?

Comments (36)

• Karen Heffernan
    11 years ago
    Lucky you! Marblehead is gorgeous, and your home looks lovely. If I had a home with ocean views, I would definitely want maximize the views and open up as much as possible.
  • hoppenrey
    11 years ago
    Open it up and let the view in! The window is far too distracting to be left as is.
  • lindataylor01
    11 years ago
    yes..open it up to the sunroom.. I think it would create nice flow..
  • Linda Hall
    11 years ago
    Definitely open it up completely!
  • lorisea03
    11 years ago
    Absolutely open it!
  • Vito Villa
    11 years ago
    The mini pane look is very 1942. I say open it all the way up. Make sure you get engineered beams for the spans and watch out for hidden electrical and plumbing in the walls.
  • Susan Glenn
    11 years ago
    Open it up!!! I LOVE the look of a large space that has separate areas defined by furniture placement...that house is GORGEOUS!!! Ooh....I didn't realize that you have a heat register on that wall and the sunroom is probably NOT included in "livable space". The next thing to consider is to remove the PANES...a solid piece of glass is going to be FAR less intrusive than all those separate panes. That might (will) be a cheaper fix with decent impact before figuring how to remove that entire wall, open a formal area with a smooth ceiling into a space with a vaulted, unfinished ceiling that is paneled in what looks like T-111.
  • Susan Glenn
    11 years ago
    Let me add: if it's feasible and you have the bucks....tear it out. You have an oceanfront house so you can have an ocean view...and if it's on that side of the house, you need to take advantage of it somehow!
  • PRO
    mdiscipio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    My original thought was to tear it out completely - but then didnt know whether I should use beams or columns to define the separate areas. I think I am leaning more and more with the tear down of the wall ...
  • Carole MacInnis
    11 years ago
    Open it up, we just added a sun room to our home, we live in it!!! It is hard to leave it, very relaxing, restful. Check for the stability of the structure before you remove walls.
  • seabeewyfe
    11 years ago
    Open it up! You won't be sorry!
  • reelgold
    11 years ago
    Perhaps mine is a contrarian view, but the idea of preserving your lovely 1940s architecture in style, if not in substance, is something to consider if you are going to tear down walls and take out windows. Plus, depending on how large the rooms are, you can wind up with a space that lacks focus: Is it a sunroom? Is it a living room? I totally understand about wanting to bring in the views, but having an architect or interior designer show you some options via sketches or ideas from other well-done renovations in your neighborhood might help.
  • sedlock carpentry
    11 years ago
    How about leaving the side lights intact and opening the center and installing french doors? That way you have the option of both semi-open plan and separate rooms with views. Use matching doors to the garden to mirror the interior french doors.
  • dmussori
    11 years ago
    partially
  • roomi
    11 years ago
    How many of those small pane windows are there between the two rooms. It is one or two? If its two I think remove the one opposite the best view and put an opening with lintel support and open out totally the section of the outside wall with sympathetic fold away doors. I would keep the small pane window on the outside wall somewhere as if you take away everything and make it all glass its not really in keeping with the style of the home. I think the trick is finding small pane doors which vanish if you want them to.
  • tanquin
    11 years ago
    please tell me where you purchased your couch or the brand name - i've been searching for one just like it
    open up to the sunroom :)
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI --- YES ,YES, YES, take it out completely , I think it will look great !
  • Kathy Martz_Walsh
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If you can afford it, go for it if you can see the ocean from the house
  • olderthebetter
    11 years ago
    I agree! Take it out. Sounds beautiful. Lucky you.
  • Lynette C
    11 years ago
    I think if you have the money I would change the sloped ceiling of the verandah to the same height as the loungeroom, so the windows can be higher to allow you to see the sky and any trees. Or if money is an issue, I would at least have clear skylights to give height and space, that will match the space of the large room of the lounge room. either way how special to sit and have the choice of a quiet cosy garden, or mmmmm the ocean! Love to see pics of what you decide.
    Instead of the shared window , you have some kind of folding doors or doors that slide internally into the walls, allows the rooms to be closed off for heating and cooling. I like sedlock carpentary's idea
  • PRO
    mdiscipio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Couch was purchased from Mitchell Gold and pillows came from Jamieson Interiors
  • PRO
    Roots and Rafters
    11 years ago
    I know that I'm definitely in the minority here, but I really dislike open floorplans. They afford no privacy, they increase noise in the house, and they severely limit your decorating and furniture placement options -- just to name three objections.

That said, you can take advantage of your gorgeous views by partially removing the wall and either creating an archway or installing glass french doors to the sunroom. Something like the attached would be ideal!

Good luck with your remodel. I'm sure it will be lovely, whatever you decide.
  • jingstad
    11 years ago
    Because of the heat registers, and the size and format of the room...it looks like it might be a bit of a problem to completely move the wall. I would remove the window...make a shelf along the base of the window space...above the heat register. Then frame around the window with the same architectural framework that is around the built in bookcases. This will give you the view of the ocean, the open conversation betweent the two rooms and a nice serving area for the dining area.
  • Cynthia Race
    11 years ago
    Take out as much (or all) of the wall as you can. Open spaces are fantastic. My ex and I knocked down two walls to make a great room, and put a french door between one room and another to open the flow in the home.
  • PRO
    Healing Spaces
    11 years ago
    The resolution is based on the depth of your pockets and dealing with a home improvement project (while living there?). Structurally if you want to put in a french door pair then position so they open into the sunroom where you have room for the swing. This will be costly: have to remove the heating radiator. New header over door area. The condition of the sun room/three season room: is it really a 4 season room with heat and insulation? If not, you will need the french doors to seal it off from the formal living room unless you insulate and heat it. You will have to deal with furniture placement as you have lots of furniture in the room. Will you put the sectional on the picture window side and the chairs where the sectional is now? Then will you omit the table between the chairs just to be able to open one of the doors to get through? Of all the ideas posted I really like the idea of taking the central section(s?) of the picture window out and then creating a wide ledge or bar either as part of the window sill, recreated or put in even below the window where you can set up a bar with bar stools (or not). The problem with paned windows or doors= they block views! So if you want a view to the ocean which I think you have, then open things up. Paint the trim of windows dark so they disappear and you see the view first. White trim stops the eye and doesn't allow for an easy view. Pick a Historic Color from the Benjamin Moore line and you can't go wrong! Do the same dark trim on the sun-room windows and the repeat of the same colors will tie the two rooms together. Good luck and update us!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    We tore down a structural wall on the back of our house (replaced with a hidden steel beam) to open up the space and add a sunroom addition that is continuous with our kitchen. It was the best decision we ever made. I was worried about changing the feel of our 1920's house, but we made sure to match the details of the new room and windows to the rest of the house, so it blends beautifully. So if I were you I'd open up the space.
  • bdarrow
    11 years ago
    There doesn't seem to be a way to open those windows. A cheap fix would be to have draw drapes over the "french windows" that would let the light through and block out the sun room. This would give you a cozy feel but you will sacrifice the view. I think the couch is wrong. It should face the fireplace...
    Be sure and let us know what you end up doing.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I agree with opening up the spaces to bring more light inside.

Porch to Den · More Info
  • PRO
    Brush Park Studio
    11 years ago
    I love the window as an architectural feature, i disagree and believe the window should stay. Keeping the wall of glass creates interest of whats behind the wall, or I can't wait to get into that room. Also it allows you to create two very different spaces for more interest!
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    We had a client with the same dilemma. We designed an option where the sunroom was open to the rest of the house but to give it a little separation from the great room we designed large modern columns to divide the spaces. Our clients loved the result, take a look at the before and after pictures of their space.
  • mostlyblackcats
    11 years ago
    To quote Scooby, "Absorutry!" I would take it all the way out and enjoy that space on a daily basis.
  • cindyvelt
    11 years ago
    the room looks so cozy, i like the french door idea. Then you have the best of both worlds.
  • Elizabeth Bishop
    11 years ago
    I love your room! It's so cozy! It does appear a little tight though, and could use some opening up. I like the idea of just taking out the window, because it creates more visual interest from one room to another to leave a partial wall. But, with that said, I see an issue of getting around the couch because it appears that it could block the opening. ... You have great taste in colors and furniture! Good luck.
  • PRO
    TKraft Art & Interiors
    11 years ago
    YES!!! Open up the wall between the two rooms by removing the entire wall, then add a set of good quality french doors on the outside wall. Also when time and money prevails change out that existing interior door in the sun room side to a solid panel door for more architectural detailing. You have great taste and impeccable style, I love the lighting in the sun room but once you remove the wall consider adding new LED rope light up on the top trim board (non-visible) running around the room for up-lighting and drama. Lucky you to have some ocean views in Marblehead, MA.
  • PRO
    mdiscipio
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update - finished product ... went with a partial opening - and vaulted ceilings - very happy with the new flow and open feel. Also like that we didn't sacrifice charm of the older style home.