Any ideas??? Please!!!
ejinsa
My kitchen, which we did a 'facelift' on a few years ago, needs ?something?! It is open to our breakfast area/family room & I would love to be able to tie it all together. The kitchen is windowless and the bkfst/fam rm has south-facing windows that are heavily shaded. The current colors are SW Navajo Wht, SW Ivoire and BM Swiss coffee on trim around doors windows. I want to get away from yellow. I love the green that I have painted a sample of around the room, just don't necessarily like the green in the fam. rm. All furniture stays except the teal recliner. I intend to build a banquette bench with bookcase up the wall where the blue hutch is now. Maybe painting the inside of the shelves with this green (SW Hearts of Palm) would be enough??? Any help that is offered will be GREATLY appreciated - I'm losing my mind here!!!
I think your kitchen looks lovely! The problem, as I see it, is in the family room furniture arrangement and colors. As you've already realized, it is a bit haphazard. Some of this you are already planning to remedy by getting rid of the teal recliner and putting a banquette in the corner where the hutch is, yes? The colors of those two pieces of furniture don't look great against the green you have chosen, or your other furniture (though the hutch could work with a different wall color). But I also think you have your furniture arranged rather awkwardly, with everything turned away from your lovely fireplace. This should be the focal point of the room. I would either mount your TV over the fireplace or put it against the wall to the left of the fireplace so that you can rearrange the furniture to face both the fireplace and TV at the same time. I also think the style of your bar stools doesn't really connect with anything else in the room. I'd like to see some other wrought iron pieces (maybe floor lamps?) to tie them in better if you keep them.
September 18, 2012 at 12:27pm     
kmpwylie
My first reaction is that the dark beams are great and give a polished contrast to the white kitchen and bright walls. The wrought iron looking counter chairs tie into that dark accent. Where the look gets lost for me is in the lighter toned wood table and chairs, as well as the tv stand and coffee table. For a cohesive look, I would stain/paint the table darker to match the beams. You could paint the coffee table and tv stand white, grey, or to match the beams. I think the grey on the walls is ok, but might make it feel dreary without a punch of color somewhere...you could paint the table green, but that might feel too risky for your style! Could idea about updating the teal chair. It wouldn't work with your fun shade of green, and seems in conflict with the other chair shown in the photo. You could do grey walls, keep the teal chair, and ditch the other chair, but it looks like you have a brown couch, which would not be my first choice with grey walls, so my vote is for the green walls!
September 18, 2012 at 12:32pm     
kmpwylie
Also, an updated chandelier in a slightly more modern look will help the overall cohesiveness of the new design.
September 18, 2012 at 12:33pm     
kmpwylie
I keep thinking of things...once you decide on a color scheme, carry it through in decorative accents...couch pillows, mantle decorations, rugs, accessories on any shelves by the dining table. This will do wonders for pulling it all together. The zebra pillows might still work if you paint the furniture darker, but otherwise they don't seem tie in to anything right now. I hope these ideas help!
September 18, 2012 at 12:36pm     
Tracey Trado
Agree with Feeny. Arrangement of furniture makes it smaller then it is. TV over fireplace and arrange around the fireplace and TV. I like the grey on the walls better then the green. Use green as you suggested in the bookshelf and as accent colors in drapery or cushions in both rooms to tie it together and the light color sample you have on bookshelf since your lighting is not the greatest as you mentioned.
September 18, 2012 at 12:40pm     
I also agree about the lighter oak furniture looking a bit out of place with the dark beams, barstools, and terra cotta floors. It could either be stained darker to go with the wood beams, painted white to go with the white kitchen, or painted black to go with the wrought iron.
September 18, 2012 at 12:49pm     
michigammemom
Sorry, but I am going to be the naysayer regarding the green. It is fresh and bright near your kitchen cabinets, but does not compliment your gorgeous terra cotta floors, your blue/gray hutch, your green upholstered chair or your Oriental runners. I would suggest a creamy white on all of your walls to really play up your ceiling beams and tile floors...almost a Southwest look. I do totally agree that you are not taking advantage of your darling fireplace.
September 18, 2012 at 12:55pm     
Blue Star Carolina LLC
My husband and I rehab houses for a living and we've come across a color we adore with white cabinets and trim that gives a lovely airy feeling to rooms: Pelican (4007-1A) by Valspar (Lowe's brand). It's the palest of blues, but is wonderful in bedrooms, kitchens, and living spaces. We both agree that your living area walls would look wonderful in Pelican. I never thought I'd love blue as a paint color anywhere, but I'm a convert.

We would also run the wall color (Pelican) up the wall to the peak of the ceiling instead of leaving a triangle of white to the peak of the ceiling. We're doing a rehab on a house right now that has this exact same configuration with paneling on the walls, beams on the ceiling and drywall above the level of the paneling. We also think your fireplace should be white. Once you're done painting the walls and fireplace, re-evaluate the wood beams. They may look much better white, but no need to do that until you have finished everything else and really KNOW they don't work. I agree with the other comment that the focal point should be the fireplace and to re-orient your furniture to face it and make the tv work with that new orientation.

REALLY nice job on the kitchen. VERY nice! This is a great foundation.
September 18, 2012 at 12:57pm     
ejinsa
Thank you so much to all of you: feeny, kmpwylie, and Tracy Trado; I appreciate your quick (and kind) responses!!! Thank you also for addressing ALL of the issues in these rooms - there are many! The iron barstools are going into the 'front' room (aka formal dining room) as we intend to make that a wine bar/? entertaining area (not to be used as a formal dining area). All of the iron and other wine-related decor will go up there. I want to go brighter & more contemporary in the rooms you see in these pics. I want more color!!! So, I guess what I need to do is find a neutral color for ALL of the walls (don't like samples that are up: SW Accessible Beige, SW Tony Taupe, SW Hearts of Palm) and then accent w/color. Any suggestions for the neutral wall color? Also want to paint the fireplace a diff color from the walls??? Thanks again :-D!!!
September 18, 2012 at 1:01pm   
Blue Star Carolina LLC
Here's an example of Pelican.
September 18, 2012 at 1:06pm     
andreayoungc
Agre with feeny about furniture arrangement. Kitchen looks great as is. You have way too many styles going on with stools, dining table, runner rug, end tables, and pillows. I see quite a bit of country, some traditional and more. I think a color like deer path which is benjamin moore or pittsburg would look great in here. It is a gold/tan with greenish undertones. Add some cranberry and olive accents in pillows, your end table, and a new rug. or a light moss green would be nice too.The wrought iron suggestion of lamps, sconces picture frames would work well for any style you would go with. Good luck. You have a nice room to work with. Have fun playing.
September 18, 2012 at 1:23pm     
ejinsa
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! All of you!!! All of this furniture we've had for quite awhile & I prefer the idea of painting it rather than getting rid of it, so I do LOVE those ideas! The rugs are simply 'make-do' until we figure out the other stuff. I shd mention that we have dogs, so I will be purchasing dog-friendly rugs, etc. - nothing too precious. Just want a fun, laid-back room. We love to cook & have our friends over to help and since the kitchen is so small, it helps to have everything open. Will try diff arrangement of furniture & post more pics soon. Keep the ideas coming, please. My husband is going to be so happy that something is getting DONE around here! :-)
September 18, 2012 at 1:24pm   
Manon Floreat
I agree that a different furniture arrangement is in order. Maybe you could try something like the below where the fireplace is the focal point - as Feeny mentioned.

The spring green paint is quite nice. I would suggest keeping it in the kitchen and accenting with it through out the rest of the space - dining chair cushions, throw pillows, pottery, etc. The rest of the walls I would go with white. I think it's the the best color to offset your beams and to unify the space in a simple way. What is the paint color that is 2nd to the right in the last photo? Something like that is what I have in mind.
September 18, 2012 at 1:30pm     
bprince300
You have such nice spaces to work with - the beams and floor are beautiful - everything you have chosen looks warm - except for some of the paint samples. If you love the turquoise hues of the hutch and chair, embrace it - bring a much lighter shade of that hue into the kitchen to contrast the walls and cabinets, find a couple of area rugs with the terra cotta, turquoise, deep red in them and use them as your inspirational palette. There will be a couple of warm, neutral tones in them, such as latte, beiges or sand, etc. that could be used as a calming neutral background in your larger rooms if you dont want the pale blue there also - allowing furnishings and other elements to provide the 'activity' in the rooms. I agree that a slightly darker tone on the FP itself or the wall behind it is a nice idea to highlight it.
Limit/reduce the number of colors used for large furnishings. With three doors in the Liv room, the traffic pattern interrupts the view of TV at that end. Try a pair of chairs at the current TV end, 6' from the wall with space for traffic flow behind them, sofa parallel to the long wall and allow users to face the same direction for FP or TV. Much as I dislike big black plastic items, TV is a reality, hang it above the FP and get a large stretched canvas print to hang over it when you dont want to see it. or network it with your computer to show a beautiful digital image when TV is not in use. changeable art....
September 18, 2012 at 1:49pm     
anitajoyce
Looking at the floor color and brown wood ceiling beams, I see tan walls in the family room. The grey does nothing for the room. The placement of the furniture is throwing me off. de-clutter the space. The fireplace is invisible almost. Remove the zebra pillows. Too much is going on in the room. It needs calmness. Place the brown sofa by the fireplace on the door side facing the wall (to divide the dining and fam room space. place the rug in front of it. two arm chairs facing the sofa (sofa and chairs on either side of fireplace.
September 18, 2012 at 6:30pm     
Natalie
Nice home! Personally I think the green is too bright, does not work with the kitchen, nor the floor tile. Look at SW6156 Ramie, SW 6212 Quietude, SW 7016 Mindful Gray, and SW 6205 Comfort Gray for walls/ceilingfireplace.
September 18, 2012 at 9:47pm     
KAB
Look at SW 6078 Realist Beige for your walls. Nice neutral with a hint of gray.
September 18, 2012 at 10:22pm     
Please any ideas! 80' Ranch House update
I'am trying to decide on a new roof color& color scheme....
PLEASE any ideas how to hide this? in my basement....
Hi everyone.....i need help with this in my basement...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Home office
Is this desk home office friendly? Wot do u think of...
Best music to play while housekeeping?
I never get more cleaning done than when everyone else...