Help with Awkward Living Room Layout!
stellaj1031
September 18, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Between the small space, windows & stairs location, and the front door opening directly into the room, I can't seem to get the layout to work. All furniture and wall decor can be replaced with the exception of the couch. Maybe adding chairs and bookcases will help? Also open to paint suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
One of my clients has the identical layout except she has a fireplace on your empty wall. In any case, our solution may work for you. Keep the sofa where it is but flank it with 2 larger end tables (don't have to match) that are a bit larger than the one I see in your pic - something a bit beefier in scale with your sofa. Across from the sofa, place 2 chairs on an angle into the room with a table and lamp between them. Lose the coffee table - you won't need it. This gives you more room and seating for a conversation area. On the blank wall, you could do a picture gallery or a large scale print or white bookcases, etc. Make this your focal point wall by painting it chocolate which would beautifully offset your sofa & rug (which I love). The other walls can be a warm neutral, in which case I would place a colorful throw on the back of the sofa so that it doesn't blend into the wall.
September 18, 2012 at 1:45pm     
Nancy Hehmann
I think when you get the wall art it will greatly help as suggested above. You might want to select your art or photography prior to selecting other colors so you can pull a dominant color from it for your accessories. And you so want to fall in love with what ever you pick. I would not get a mass produced piece of art like from Bed, Bath and Beyond etc. because you want it to have unmuted colors and stand out. Check out Etsy.com They have amazing craftsman and artisans on their. You can put your topic in their search engine. Such as Paris photography, coastal photography etc. They also have other types of wall hangings too.
September 18, 2012 at 1:55pm     
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Right on Carolina! Etsy is a really creative and affordable resource.
September 18, 2012 at 2:02pm   
hockey456
I really like the area rug. Fun.
I would float the couch creating an entry. Turn it facing the currently empty wall and perhap
September 18, 2012 at 11:52pm   
hockey456
Cont...perhaps put a console table behind it for dropping keys/mail in your newly created entry "hall".
September 18, 2012 at 11:56pm     
hockey456
Sorry...put large bookshelves on the large wall facing the couch. Put 2 reasonable sized chairs on the wall that currently has the mirror. A table between the chairs. That would be a nice layout.
September 19, 2012 at 12:02am   
hockey456
Sorry...put large bookshelves on the large wall facing the couch. Put 2 reasonable sized chairs on the wall that currently has the mirror. A table between the chairs. That would be a nice layout.
September 19, 2012 at 12:02am   
charleee
I think you definetly need something to separate the entryway from the living room. A low profile bookcase, about 4' high would work. If you can secure it to the wall it will be more stable. Put an attractive container on top to hold keys, maybe create an area that will handle a wet item such as an umbrella. A place to (temporarily!) hold mail, such as an in-box. Use the lower shelf for shoes and boots, if you live in a wet climate.
September 19, 2012 at 3:32am   
Kim D
My friend has same layout except a fire place on wall with chair. I love your sofa and rug, I think the placement is nice, are there plans to add a tv in the space. If so that could change everything any way I would get another chair to place next to the other one. Take the mirror down from over the sofa and get a beefy leaning mirror and place it against the wall behind the chairs. A small console table under the staircase nicely decorated so the mirror reflection is pleasing. Also I love you paint choice. and I think a dark color coffe table would be better than the white, maybe the color of the basket.
September 19, 2012 at 5:12am   
stellaj1031
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Looking forward to trying them out!
September 19, 2012 at 7:54am