Any DIY ideas for an uuuuugly kitchen?
seankaplan
A full kitchen re-model is still a couple of years out for me, but I'd love to find a way to make it a little more palatable in the meantime. Any (DIY/budget-friendly) suggestions to deal with these stunning peach/mauve laminate cabinets?
Stoneshop
If changing the cabinets is out of the question for now, I would suggest changing the hardware. It is a very easy DIY, wallet-friendly, & it can make a big impact. Of course, make sure that it is hardware that you will still like when the time comes for your big kitchen renovation so that you can keep it for your new space.
September 19, 2012 at 7:39AM     
seankaplan
Thanks! I can't figure out what on earth would look halfway decent with the faux-wood trim though :/
September 19, 2012 at 7:43AM   
Joy Horsman
I am assuming you are being sarcastic about the colour of the cabinets..lol. i agree to start with the cupboards. painting them is a time cinsuming job, but very easy to do. I think it would make a huge impact to start with. It would cost the price of a can of primer and paint..bought at walmart for probably less than 60-100 dollars. :) If you want to keep the cupboards maybe find a dark/bright colour for the walls/accesories (table cloth, seat covers, curtains? that would draw the eye from the cupboards. good luck :)
September 19, 2012 at 7:44AM     
Joy Horsman
just saw your last comment...stay away from wood and go for a chrome or ceramic knob it think.
September 19, 2012 at 7:45AM   
Stoneshop
For hardware, I would recommend going with either stainless or brushed nickel pulls or knobs. They are neutral & will, more than likely, coordinate with your future appliances.
September 19, 2012 at 7:49AM     
Vicki Williams Interior Design
You can also buy some of the new Primer-paints for a one coat job. Even if you kept the present hardware just changing the color would change your life. I used the Behr primer-paint for a job. Was very hard to apply, unbelievably thick. I think Sherman-Williams might be a better choice. You can buy a sample for $6.50 and try it. I must say the finished job with the Behr came out beautifully but it was hard to apply. I helped a friend redo her kitchen. We painted the cabinets grey, used brushed nickle hardware and painted the walls Melange green by Glidden. But the grey is very classy and you could put any color on the walls. On the cabinets you could paint over the wood also just all the same color. Good Luck!
September 19, 2012 at 8:01AM   
Joy Horsman
i have tried 2 different brands of the primer/colour in one paints. Once to paint over a wood surface and once over a darker colour. After 3 coats on the wood I took my reciept and a picture of my walls back to the store and got a refund...then started from scratch with primer and then paint. On the darker colour it was just one wall and did at least 5 coats..may have been more..i have blocked it out..lol. But was glad i had bought the bigger can. I just dont recomend them for the price unless you are willing to have it not work and have to deal with returning the paint (which they did not do without quite an ordeal, which included me going back home and taking pictures, bringing them back and speaking to 2 managers!) ) and starting over again.
September 19, 2012 at 8:23AM     
Vicki Williams Interior Design
I did some big old bookcases in a color to match a huge library full of new dark cherry shelves. It took two men, one rolled, the other came behind and spread the paint smooth. That was with the Behr. Which is why I bought a sample from Sherman-Williams, to try first. Dealer said they did not have those problems. However the coverage and look on these old varnished-50-60 year old bookcases was beautiful and took only one coat.
September 19, 2012 at 8:35AM     
seankaplan
Thanks for all the tips! I guess my biggest concern is whether or not the primer will adhere properly to the laminate on the cabinets. Have either of you had any experience priming a non-wood surface? I never thought I would wish I had bought a house with beat up old wood cabinets!! LOL
September 19, 2012 at 9:25AM     
Vicki Williams Interior Design
I think that is what the primer is for-odd surfaces. However our local big box store can tell you the answer to that. Or Google your question. Pretty sure it works.
September 19, 2012 at 9:27AM   
Sigrid
If you can't paint, you can take the doors off and have open shelves. If your shelves are likely to be neat. A few open shelves would certainly be a relief from Pepto-Dismal.
September 19, 2012 at 9:34AM     
Sigrid
September 19, 2012 at 9:34AM     
Natalie
Try Krylon Fusion Spray Paint---you'll have to cover up every thing and wear a mask, but it will be worth the time and effort. There shouldn't be a problem as for coverage because it is formulated for plastic. Change pulls to brushed or polished nickel. Add a pink backsplash, and paint walls a neutral gray ( SW 6002 Essential Gray) color... Who knows, you might like it too much to change it... :) Good Luck and I LOVE the pink. Embrace it. http://www.modwalls.com/viridianpearlnutmeg.aspx INSPIRATION http://pinkkitchengadgets.com/
September 19, 2012 at 9:36AM     
Vicki Williams Interior Design
Great comment
September 19, 2012 at 9:45AM     
mary3907
Go with Natalie...she knows what she is doing. Don't paint laminate with anything by Krylon Fusion. Be sure to clean surface really well before. You could take the doors of an paint them outside to minimize the spraying in the kitchen.
September 19, 2012 at 9:50AM     
Becca Thompson
If you paint the doors outside and lay them flat, like on sawhorses, you won't have to contend with drips as much. I agree on the new hardware, brushed satin is classic and will work well in the future, or, if you want to keep the kitchen retro when you DO have it remodeled, you can use something with a little more pizazz.
September 19, 2012 at 10:13AM     
Creative79 Design
I agree with Mary. Take the doors off, number them leave the hinges on the door. Number your cabinets inside to match. Custom mix a gallon or quart of paint to match your Krylon color so you can use a mini-roller to paint the face frames and sides of the cabinet. Take your time doing the required coats of paint. Fusion works well on plastic laminate. Any cooking grease will cause the paint to peel in short order.
Clean the cabinets with strong deterent, rinse then clean them with TSP, tri-sodium phosphate which does not leave any soap-sulfate residue behind before you paint.
Order the cases of paint from the home center or supplier so you get the same run number.
You can return the unused cans form the project.
A good clean slate to get you started.
Clean with a warm cloth with mild detergent after wards, do not use windex or harsh cleaning supplies.
Good luck!
September 19, 2012 at 10:17AM     
rocknrolljackie
There are special paints specifically for laminated surfaces. We used them in our kitchen in Fl. and it took very well. This is from This Old House: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,380712,00.html
September 19, 2012 at 10:18AM     
Natalie
Yes, thanks all for mentioning removing the doors, laying them flat, and painting outside. I should have said it but didn't. :) I have painted laminate cabinets before (before Fusion that is) and it was a pain in the butt. Sanding, priming, painting, glazing, sealing. Sure they turned out beautiful, but would much rather have invested my time, money, and energy elsewhere. Now it's sooo nice and convenient to just be able to select a colored spray paint and have at it... Keep us posted.
September 19, 2012 at 10:33AM   
Reusable, Removable Wallpaper- Easy Peel n Stick- YOUR WALLS, UNDERCOVER
Removable Chalkboard Wallies
How about something peel and stick like these wall skins or decals with the industrial look Ikea hardware? Or staple gun fabric to the doors? If the cabs are coming out anyway, don't work too hard on them.
September 19, 2012 at 10:35AM   
Studio Q Designs
Try Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations. This product is meant to go over laminate or wood materials. Three of the colors I like are Bay Leaf, Federal Gray, Winter Fog. There is extensive prep but the price is right. You can also use Rustoleum Countertop Transformations to do the laminate counter. Once again pay attention to the prep it is crucial when painting anytime of cabinet or counter top. Here is a link to the website. http://cabinets.rustoleumtransformations.com/
To finsih it off I would add new backsplash glass mini offset brick or a fun porcelain penny round tile. Use chrome or nickel hardware. These two finishes goes best with the style of the cabinetry and the slab door. Also new single bowl top mount sink in stainless with modern kitchen faucet would really spruce up the sink area. Kohler has a series called Vault that you can do top mount or undermount which would be ideal for you to use when and if you remodel at a later date.
As a kitchen/bath designer and Avid DIYer I know the feeling of living with a kitchen you dislike. I have had several and always ultimately did a few cosmetic make overs to them until I was able to do a full remodel. I say its worth the time and effort. Good luck and lets us know how it goes.
September 19, 2012 at 10:45AM   
lionnessone
Another idea would be to wallpaper, what a fun and exciteing way to refresh a room.
Things You'll Need:
•Epoxy
•Surface cleaner
•Sponge
•Bonding primer
•Paintbrush
•Measuring tape
•Pre-pasted wallpaper
•Table
•Razor
Instructions:
Prep the Existing Countertop/Cupboards

1
Re-bond any areas where the laminate has separated from the countertop/cupboards base with a strong epoxy. Make sure that any glue used has completely dried before you continue.

2
Wash down the laminate surface with a surface cleaner and sponge to remove excess dirt and grease.

3
Apply a bonding primer to laminate surface with paint brush. Completely cover the countertop/cupboards. Let it dry.

Apply the Wallpaper:

4
Measure the surface of the countertop/cupboards. Cut a piece of wallpaper big enough to leave at least 1 inch of overhang on each counter edge. The overhang will ensure that you do not run out of wallpaper to cover the space.

5
Place wallpaper on the table, pasted side up. Moisten pasted side with wet sponge.

6
Apply paper to cupboard, pasted side down, leaving excess overhang. Smooth wrinkles with a clean, damp sponge.

7
Fold wallpaper overhangs over so that printed sides are touching. After creating creases, use razor to cut lines along creases and trim excess paper.

8
With a clean sponge, wash off any paste that may have found its way onto the printed side of the wallpaper.

Tips & Warnings:

•Not cleaning your countertop/cupboards before applying primer will keep excess grease on the surface and prevent wallpaper from adhering.
•The overhang will ensure that you do not run out of wallpaper to cover the surface.

When you are finished wallpapering attach a 1 inch painted wooden frame along the edge of the cupboards with wood glue. Change up your hardware or paint the existing ones. Paint the wood surface, hardwear and the frame all the same colour as the wallpaper.. Choose solid colour wallpaper.
Open up this window.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/feature-wall-paintable-wallpaper-curvy/918265
September 19, 2012 at 10:59AM   
Vikrant Sharma Homez
One of the Ugliest colour choices by anyone who painted it all Monotone of Pink ,
deserves to get Punished , Lol
September 19, 2012 at 11:01AM     
Joy Horsman
just remembered my d-i-l used paint and primer for covering her ikea laminate cupboards based on the advice from a paint store. it started to chip very quickly...after spending alot of money on the proper paint and primer...so she went back to the store..they told her it had a 6 week cure time. If she had known that she probably wouldnt have bothered...everytime they were banged or touched in some spots they would chip. :( She had 2 toddlers at the time..so if you have kids or maybe even dogs the other techniques may be better than paint. they looked worse after than when before she did anything to them
September 19, 2012 at 11:39AM   
anitajoyce
Hello, as mentioned above, If you can paint them, just paint them White and add brushed nickel knobs. Will the counter tops be replaced? If not, you may be able to paint them also. Backsplash tiles in a neutral color would be lovely. Good Luck!
September 19, 2012 at 12:53PM     
katjarichards
As Vikrant said, whoever did this ought to be run out of town :) There are a number of options, depending on the amount of work you want to invest. There are a number of good paints that where mentioned, but prep and cure time is very involved. There are great contact papers available now-even stainless steel. I've seen an entire kitchen makeover with that and it looked wonderful. If you can replace the counters with stock laminate, that would make a huge difference. If the counter is very stable, you could tile over it, or use the contact paper idea.
Taking off the doors and having open shelving is a great idea-if you're very neat. You could paint the interior a contrasting color for some 'pop'. Add baskets for those items harder to contain and for items you don't care to see.
Good Luck!
September 19, 2012 at 1:30PM   
Jenell Hardy
I think you are not going to be able to paint the cabinets because of the bronze strip around the cabinet doors, so I believe you would be better served to use decals on each door and on the backsplash to coordinate the theme. Then I would bring the same coordinating colors in whatever you use on the counters. For instance, if you found a floral wallpaper or stick to it paper for the cutouts to put on the doors, that same floral could be put on some items that you place on the counter. You can find templates for your design at crafting places or even in WalMart.
September 19, 2012 at 1:59PM   
lwayson
I have the same problem in my kitchen (update is a ways off for us too). We took the cabinet doors off and painted the back wall of the cabinet a very pale blue. We get tons of compliments and it does seem to make the space feel brighter.
Keeping everything organized since it's now visible is a bit of a hassel, but totally worth it.
I say remove those doors!
September 19, 2012 at 2:04PM   
hawaiidreamer
I sympathize with you..have similar circumstances: orange counters and 70's (= bad) wood-print- laminate doors. Expanding on the "take the doors off " theme: if you are not as neat as you'd like to be, you could always hand some "curtains" inside each cabinet. You can always find remnants at fabric store for very cheap, and then you can change then as you will...even with the season, if you choose!! May even give you ideas about what colors you want to use when you do the major overhaul. I'd keep the doors somewhere too...you never know when someone will come out with another product to cover laminate that's better/easier!
September 19, 2012 at 5:31PM   
maryloudesjardins
Please consider melamine paint. It is a Urethane Re-inforced Oil Based Paint which can usually be applied to a multitude of surfaces like laminates, plastic, fibreglass, glass and even ceramics. For the how to search google. Choose a neutral color that you like. This is the best paint for laminate counters too.. Purchase new hardware. Backsplash walls could be wallpapered. This is a thrifty makeover.
September 19, 2012 at 8:13PM     
bmcnut
You could switch out the doors to put new more modern wood with a raised center panel. Then paint the cabinets base and the new doors a nice neutral almond and since you'll have new doors you can pick any shape door handles you want - no worry about matching up the holes from the old doors. Will make a WORLD of difference. Add some nice multicolored small glass tiles for the back splash (Home Depot and Lowes have some pretty nice ones these days - and reasonably priced) and you'll have a new kitchen for not much $s.
September 20, 2012 at 8:03AM   
maryloudesjardins
Painting your doors will be easy. The flat surface will easily accommodate the use of a hand sander just to rough it up a little so the paint adheres properly. The melamine paint does not need a primer. It is amazing for this project. Any paint brand has it.
September 20, 2012 at 8:38AM   
maryloudesjardins
What I see of your kitchen is that it has great bones that are going to look so stunning with just painting that you won't need an expensive overhaul. Use the money for new appliances,, a sink and new faucets and new floor. Painting the doors black and exposing the wood and keeping your wood handles would also be a savings and give it a dramatic look. Otherwise, Painting the whole door a shiny milky white will give it a modern look with shiny chrome handles. Paint he counters an opposing colour or use a kit that will give it a granite look - a grey for either. Use glass tile for the backsplash. Black white and grey glass. Or shop for the tile first. Choose the colors you like and take your paint scheme from this. Or you can paint the upper cabinets white and bottom black or granite grey. I love this kitchen and you will too.
September 20, 2012 at 8:50AM   
lucindalane
Alas, the pitfalls of "the current style." The silver lining to this, though, is that the laminate is-or should be, anyway-very sturdy, so if you can manage to get a nice paint surface on it that you like, then you can start to add the other items to finish out your kitchen.
September 20, 2012 at 10:10AM   
Mingrinos Reliable Contracting INC.
Rustoleuim Paint makes a new kitchen Cabinet paint that may be good for your counter tops and cabinets. I have personally never used the product but I have heard it was a good product when applied correctly.
September 20, 2012 at 10:29AM   
Lindsay Braman
I think those cabinets will look really good painted! Please take the time to prime properly. It makes all the difference in how the finished surface responds to scratches- and cabinets will have plenty of opportunities for scratches! Pick up some Zinsser 1.2.3. primer. It is amazing and once painted on and given a few days to cure dries to a super hard almost unscratchable surface. Regular paint goes on easy and stands up to touching well after that.

I just repainted laminate cabinets under my wet bar using this method & have done bookshelves and a store counter front with this method. For my bar I then painted with a satin finish latex and, once dry, waxed and buffed with furniture wax- turned out great.
September 20, 2012 at 10:52AM   
Lindsay Braman
Also, I would paint over even the faux wood part, replace the handles with something simple (too ornate will contrast the simplicity of the cabinet's lines)

One nice part about painting them over is that you could fill the holes and replace the handles with knobs!
September 20, 2012 at 10:55AM   
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
Need help with lamp selection
This is our lower level walkout basement. I would...
Bedding like this?
I've been searching off and on for a while. This is...
Tub reglazing
We have a master tub we don't really ever use sure...
Need help finding Dining Chairs
I am trying to find some dining chairs that I can see...