Need help with house exterior!
laurad14
Hi, I need help figuring out how to upgrade and modernize the exterior of my house. It needs a new roof, should I go dark? Also I think the bushes in front of the door need to go. Should I paint the brick? What colour should the door be? Black hardware and house numbers or silver? Thanks, I'm stuck in indecision!
tinamac
Hello . I would consider removing the shrubs. Replacing the front door or painting it. I would also look into cottage or bungalow style landscaping. Look into changing the widows. Your yard looks like it has a lot of potential. GOOD LUCK !
1 Like   September 19, 2012 at 9:52AM
houssaon
The yews will respond to hard pruning. They should be smaller at the top than at the bottom to let light in, which promotes green growth. If you cut the down by half you might not have to get rid of them. They won't look good for a season or two, but they will come back and then you can keep them in line.

Although the bushes right in front of the front door should go regardless. The door is at the lowest level and you don't want anything blocking its view. In fact, I'd think about doing a decorative walkway to the front door.

I wouldn't go dark for the roof unless you live in a cold climate. I can see a medium grey. Then I'd paint the clapboards to the right grey for an asymetrical look. Silver numbers on the house. The door is fine as is, in my opinion.
   September 19, 2012 at 10:37AM
Heather M. Hayes
I have to say the orangey brick is rather outdated and it would make a huge update to your home by just doing siding in place of the brick on the left side to match the right. I do agree about the bushes needing maintenance and some decor or landscaping by the front door would definitely help. Best wishes to you in your project: )
   September 19, 2012 at 12:55PM
elfvingse
It is okay to paint brick. I have seen some wonderful brick homes in Portland, Oregon with up to date paint colors. To soften the hard lines of the home I suggest landscaping that is wispy. Good luck.
   September 19, 2012 at 12:59PM
I'd definately paint the brick. Also, hedges that are trimmed boxey make a house look old. I agree to let your front door be the star and visible from the street. A curved path to the door and natural plantings in beds near the walk would update the house. Here is a nice color scheme for a house and the brick was painted...

2 Likes   September 19, 2012 at 1:09PM
fredm51
The yews must go make the house look like a ranch with a short front door. Change the shingles to light or medium gray and put in a flower bed like Darzy mentioned and paint the bricks. I think after you remove the yews you will know exactly what to do.
   September 19, 2012 at 1:24PM
If you can't/won't paint the brick, how about a dark gray roof, lighter gray on the horizontal siding, the trim dark gray like the roof, and the door black. Black hardware, bushes gone.

1 Like   September 19, 2012 at 1:24PM
bjshep
There is a site with 23 painted brick homes: http://www.beneathmyheart.net/2011/06/painted-brick-a-plethera-of-inspirational-pictures/ You should find something here that's appealing to your taste. I agree the orange should go. I would also completely remove the shrubs and go with something smaller. I think the door needs to be replaced. The larger window seems out of proportion with the remaining facade. I think you have a lot of things you can do with this nice home. Good luck!
   September 19, 2012 at 1:49PM
rhindle
Need to understand the floor level arrangement a bit better - is there a lower level/ basement floor and window to the left? Does the front door lead to a set of stairs that lead up and down? Can you provide some more detail or photos around this area?
I would propose that you remove most of the yews to open up a path to the front door. Change tHe front door ( remove the arch) and glaze to the full height of the recess. I would introduce sidings on the left ( down to the height of those on the right) and retain brick plinth ( possibly painted) below. This will scale the building better. Colors can be decided once these basics have been understood?
Send some more photos/ detail? For a small fee I can help with working up the proposal further and presenting the proposed changes on the photo.
   September 19, 2012 at 3:48PM
rhindle
   September 19, 2012 at 3:48PM
lrkg1234
I would paint the brick to match the siding. I have seen this done and it makes a big difference.

I would also try to do a window box or something to take up some of the wall space on the left of the house. It's a lot of wall space. Maybe you could add some softer landscaping underneath the window.

I would focus on harmonizing the colors and softening the edges with landscaping that flowers or hangs, not blockey, square shrubbery.

The house has lots of potential. I like the creamy color of the siding. I'd paint the brick the same color and go with a medium grey for the new roof, darker, but not black.

Good Luck!
   September 19, 2012 at 4:11PM
elklaker
Paint the brick and siding a light putty color to unify the materials. Grey roof, grey/green shutters on the right window. Tomato red door. Get rid of ALL of the bushes and start over. Some red barberry mixed with some grey/green perennials (lambs ear) to tie in the with the house colors.
Good luck and have fun!
   September 19, 2012 at 4:11PM
19953
natural beauty....
   September 20, 2012 at 8:53AM
Roots and Rafters
To me, the shrubs make the front of your house look too dark. Consider removing them and replacing them with a succession planting of bulbs. (See: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cottage/msg0716470328578.html)

I would paint or whitewash the brick a creamy white to knock down the orangey color and unify it with the rest of your house. That creamy white would then go well with almost any color of roof, and you could plan your trim paint to coordinate.
   September 20, 2012 at 9:11AM
maryloudesjardins
DON'T PAINT YOUR BRICK. Some paint stores do have colorists that will come out for a small charge and give you suggestions of colors to use. Once you have picked the right colors for your trim, door, siding and roof, your brick will look amazing. I paid $75 with a 20% discount on paint, I live in southern Canada.
The roof should be a light color because it does not absorb heat in the summer as do dark colors. Saves money on cooling costs. Also a large tree that will also give shade and increase the value of your home. Walmart garden centres sell the babies that grow into great trees in 5 years. Horse chestnut grows to fifty, sixty feet and has beautiful pink or white blooms in the spring . A willow tree can be grown from a cutting and grows very fast and has a Savanna south look.
YES Tear down the hedges so you can see the house and entrance. Add new low maintenance shrubs or perennials and surround with cedar mulch. If you like the willow tree ad a bird fountain. I have one with the bust of an angel.
You have a transom window above your front doors - awesome. Hang a large pendant light over your entrance.

You can even replace your siding with cedar siding. Add wood cedar siding below the shorter window for symmetry. Use horizontal cedar.

Then add
   September 20, 2012 at 10:17AM
Need help on house exterior grills. Modern house on a corner lot.
need your opinion on which grills orientation would...
Need help to choose the paint of the house exterior. Please help!
Hello everybody,i really need to choose the colours...
Need Help Selecting Exterior Colors for House. Please Help!
Need new color scheme. Something more contemporary...
HELP! My house is too brown. Need help with exterior colours!
I have attached a BROWN picture of the exterior of...
Help! Need help with the exterior of my house!
Any ideas on how to spruce up the front of my house?...
Kitchen back splash area not level
Just installed new cabinets and granite counter top...
Kitchen island addition dilemma
We're adding an island to our kitchen and we can't...
New kitchen Space, what should we do?
We bought a round table and we are not sure if how...
Help me match my sofa
I'm in the process of redesigning my studio. I don't...
Box hole in the middle of the loft
What can I do with that horrendous square block hole...