SO Confused flooring, cupboards, walls???
beachideas804
I have to paint this weekend. The flooring will be installed next week. I have to decide on type and color of the floor by Friday. Current Project is cupboards and textured paneled walls. I really want to go with a very light aqua, whites, gray and little green. This house is on the water so I want to have light colors but need it to look cozy and have a flow. We can't afford to buy new cupboards or drywall. I attached a swatch of the colors. I also attached a floor sample. The furniture will be a light gray. Thanks a bunch :)
Studio Q Designs
It seems like a long narrow room. Also the ceiling seems really broken up with all the beams. I would paint the ceiling all one color (probably white) just so it highlight the architecture of the ceiling. I like the idea of green on the walls, but not sure if I would like it on paneling. One idea is to paint the whole area white ( I know it sounds Blah but the space seems really dark) then paint the cabinets green (very fun) do a darker gray countertop, which would pick up on the gray furniture. Finally use varying color shades of the aqua, green, and gray to pull it all together. This can be done with art, fabrics and accessories.
September 19, 2012 at 12:34pm     
beachideas804
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it : )
September 24, 2012 at 8:56am   
Studio Q is right, do paint the ceiling white. But for the walls I would pick the aqua, that is a beautiful color and goes well with your water setting.
September 24, 2012 at 9:17am     
Susan Jablon Mosaics
You could also consider painting the cabinets grey or a brighter white to freshen up, and pull in the green or blue in the wall color and a fun backsplash on the wall behind your sink. This is a small area to tile, so it wouldn't break the bank, but will help the room to look polished and finished. Tiles with some shimmer or shine will pull in some light as well!
September 24, 2012 at 9:58am   
Studio Q Designs
How did it go wtih the painting and flooring install?
October 8, 2012 at 8:53am   
Justin Kalteisen
did you take the wallpaper off? i'd do blue ceiling, white beams, light gray walls, white cabinets.
October 8, 2012 at 9:01am   
jenniemacmachenry8
Please put something under the cabinet on the right - a cart/microwave, a pie-safe, or a shelf /bookcase that you can use for storage. Very choppy there....
October 8, 2012 at 9:08am   
beachideas804
So we aren't quite done yet..... Here are some updated photos. I had to use my old furniture. Work in progress. Thank you so much for your advice.
April 20, 2013 at 7:50pm     
beachideas804
Sorry, I uploaded the same picture twice ; )
April 20, 2013 at 8:08pm   
LB Interiors
I love what you've done, fresh and light! Add some aqua, teal and spots of coral for accessories and art.
April 20, 2013 at 8:28pm     
beachideas804
Thank you LB interiors ; ) the dining room table and chairs match the color of the end tables. Do you think I should paint or buy new ones like white ones? I think my furniture is too dark? I was thinking maybe a tan? I attached some more pics so you can kind of get an idea of the rest of the lake house. Thanks again
April 20, 2013 at 9:29pm   
LB Interiors
Wow, your rooms are so nice. Great job. Just a few tweeks to add to the already great designs.

If you feel there is too much wood, you can shabby chic (cream or white) some pieces of furniture.

Sofa above... maybe place in the center of that window wall (if there is room). Maybe recover the plain beige fabric pillows with a coral solid or print, can have both blue and coral and other colors.

Love the coffee table! May want to place a clear acrylic panel or glass on top to set things on. If you move the sofa to the right, move the bookcase in center of remaining wall and place the framed wood art center over it. Love all your wall colors.

Bunkbed room, I think I'd paint green on the other window wall also. Add some blue pillows to the mix. Maybe add additional spice with a terra cotta or soft coral in accessories.

I prefer all the drapes to the floor. If you sew, you can add fabric at the hem with a contrast neutral (tan) at the bottom to create another band of color.

April 20, 2013 at 10:05pm   
beachideas804
I agree about the curtain. It wasn't until it was up ( which I had altered) that I realized it looked too short. I will get a new one. Unfortunately the couch is next to a closet with bifolds. The picture left of the couch is actually covering our fuse box. I will look for some coral accessories. I like that idea. Which of course I saw a ton of today at Home Goods! Darn it. I will grab some blue pillows too. I will update the pics so you can see your advice was appreciated. Thanks again! My next big project is the outside. We are painting over some dated brick. Pretty intimidated. I really want stucco just not sure if it really holds up in Michigan. Plus I think I might have to win the lottery first. Lol
April 20, 2013 at 10:35pm   
LB Interiors
You're welcome! Just an idea about the bi-fold closet doors. You could replace with sliding doors that don't require as much floor space. Maybe move the basket away to move sofa to the right a little more. Don't know if that will help at all. Maybe you can get a wider art to cover fuse box and still move the bookcase to the right a bit?
April 20, 2013 at 11:26pm   
LB Interiors
Another idea for the closet, Remove bi-folds and add colorful grommet or tab top panels. Easy access and gives you more floor space.
April 20, 2013 at 11:46pm   
beachideas804
Awesome idea thx!
April 21, 2013 at 5:11am     
LB Interiors
You're welcome. If you remove the bi-fold doors, they could be used for a headboard or ... use two panels over the fuse box next to each other (dependng on widths). If they are raised panels, in each panel mount some colorful artwork or stencil some shells or coral designs.

April 21, 2013 at 9:15am   
LB Interiors
Other options for the raised panels of bi-fold doors? Paint a contrast color for the room other than the frame and wall color. Insert wallpaper, wrapping paper, fabric or cording/rope designs mounted on each panel. Great way to be different and creative.
April 21, 2013 at 9:22am   
beachideas804
Sorry, I didn't know you commented. Normally, I am notified via email. I haven't been up to the cabin since we last spoke. I am going to rearrange some things. I will take some new pictures. I also have to work on the outside while the weather is nice. Thanks for taking the time to upload photos and all your advice. It is truly appreciated.
May 4, 2013 at 7:22pm     
LB Interiors
No problem. Keep us posted.
May 4, 2013 at 7:45pm     
cyn222
First thing lighten up the celing with soft white. I'd paint beams the same color, since ceiling is lower. Paint brick same color to open up the space. Paint fan soft white. Spray is a quick fix! I would go with a lighter version of the blue in fabric or a very soft driftwood color for the walls. Keep to the lightest end of the color choice. If you use driftwood color, play up the blues and greens in accessories. It will create a light open feel for the room. Display a large sand dollar on the wall. Check out etsy for some ideas. I wouldn't go real dark on flooring as it will make room appear smaller & narrow. Create an interesting display of shells or large photo of dunes with grasses. Less is more so avoid cluttered look for more peaceful feel. Good luck and post photos when you are done.
May 5, 2013 at 4:36am     
2filley
You all are so awesome with all of your advice. I am decorating challenged also so loved that you helped this person. That made me smile
May 11, 2013 at 6:27pm     
amafixer
Things are coming along, looking good!
May 11, 2013 at 6:39pm   
Paint it all white or leave some of the wood ?
The ceilings are about thirty feet high so I doubt...
Unglazed Porcelain Tile Installation
I am using Regal Collection unglazed porcelain tile...
Desperately needing a focal point
The furniture that I thought I'd lost a shot at reappeared...
Solar screens vs Tinted windows
We just got new house and wondering should we get the...