Fireplace Surround
jd510
I am trying to decide how to finish my homemade fireplace surround. Currently it has a textured/colored concrete scrach coat. I am open to any ideas
HI -- Is the fireplace kind of off center or is it just the camera angle ? How about tiling it with some long thin pencil tiles on the vertical either glass or ceramic . They will fit the curves . Or do the small squared mosiac tiles. Evan the penny round tiles will work. As for colors ,pick something with rich tones that will look nice with your furnishings. Try not to make it look too busy , - i think it will look better in one kind of tile in one color tone.
September 19, 2012 at 8:52pm   
jd510
Thanks Lefty and yes the picture was taken off center, I like the idea of the pencil tile I had not thought of that one. The small mosiac tiles are definatley an option sometimes I wish I hadnt made the surround curved like I did because I sure limited the size tiles I can use.
September 21, 2012 at 9:06am   
Since you did curve the surround, (nice job, by the way!) you could try a Venetian plaster treatment.
September 21, 2012 at 9:09am   
jd510
Sounds interesting do you know of any good examples of how this is done?
September 22, 2012 at 8:29am   
I've never done it myself. I know it's a multi-step process but I've read the instructions and it doesn't seem difficult at all. Here's an ideabook that deals with this treatment:

For more examples, at the top of the Houzz page in the drop down menu select Photos, then in the search box type Venetian plaster.
September 22, 2012 at 8:36am   
ct design studio
I think the mosaic tiles would be more fitting for your room. If you are leaning towards the faux finish, Sherwin Williams makes an easy to use product and I find the people in their stores to be helpful. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/faux_impressions_venetian_plaster/?WT.mc_id=Old%20DIY%20Products%20Redirect
September 22, 2012 at 9:15am   
I think either would be fine, the Venetian Plaster or glass mosaic tiles in warm tones.
September 22, 2012 at 9:18am   
michigammemom
Your fireplace is reminiscent of a Southwest kiva style. I would suggest that you paint it out in the same color of your walls to make it look like it seamlessly ties in.
September 22, 2012 at 9:44am   
jd510
I never thought of that, it definatley might look good in my room.
October 8, 2012 at 7:40am     
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Back splash and colors
We recently put in a back splash, and we aren't sure...
I need living room/Fireplace help!!
My husband and I bought our first home last year. We...
Landscaping Old Above Ground Pool Area
Hi Houzzers! Our backyard in Canberra Australia needs...