HELP! Exterior gray paint looks lavender!!
darley
I chose Platinum gray by BM and custom halfed it to make it lighter. We have black metal accents on our roof and when the front of the house was painted, it looked lavender! Our paint guys said it was because there is one drop of marroon in the paint and maybe the reflection of the black roof is bringing out the purplish tone.....does anyone have a suggestion for a fabulous gray???? I had them mix the same color without the drop of marroon and it is too light. HELP!!!
houssaon
A favorite grey from Benjamin Moore on Houzz is Rever Pewter. See:

Have you looked at Coventry Gray HC-169? It is an historic color and has a green undertone. All greys have an untertone of one color or another which makes them grey. I have Horizon Gray on my house and love it. It too has a green undertone, more so than Coventry Gray.

Another option is to go back to the Platinum Gray and to it according to the formula.Your house is gorgeous. Love the yellow with the grey.

Good luck.
September 21, 2012 at 10:32am   
Caroline Rostad
I think your house looks lovely as is. Not helpful, I know, but I just thought I'd weigh in. I think it's a beautiful shade. Good luck!
September 21, 2012 at 10:52am     
I like it, too. How about playing up your "mistake" with a deep eggplant color on your front doors, like BM AF 650 caponata?

September 21, 2012 at 11:00am   
mariaanne
I have Revere Pewter inside my house (northern facing windows) and it certainly does take on a lavender undertone.
September 21, 2012 at 11:27am   
Christine
Do Over... and tell your customer to keep their mitts off the mixing pail.
September 21, 2012 at 11:43am   
AMN
@Christine - Too bad darley is the homeowner. :-/

I see not one stitch of lavender on my monitor. I know it could look different IRL, but it looks totally fine to my eyes. Good luck with whatever you choose.
September 21, 2012 at 11:46am     
darley
Thank you so much for all of this advice....I accidentally posted the back of our home, which hasn't been painted yet. That is why it isn't showing any purple! However, the color is almost identical to the hardi on the back. It is not a color I can live with....I almost think I need to do something a tad darker. Love any other suggestions! Thank you for taking the time to help.
September 21, 2012 at 11:59am   
Myers Construction
I would like to know your definition of "custom halfing." If this process was a job site answer to the "it's too dark" problem, then that is the cause. Just mixing a little white in is never a decent answer because of issues like this one. The painter should have steered you away from this method. Sample quarts are cheap especially when considering the expense of a repaint on a house this size, and it assures the right color pick.
September 21, 2012 at 12:05pm     
darley
I found a home in our town that I liked the color...sherwin Williams did their paint, so we followed the exact formula that they used...two totally different houses with differing lighting....proving to highlight the color differently.
September 21, 2012 at 12:32pm   
darley
The formula SW used was 1/2 of the formula of Platinum gray. Here is a picture of the front of the house that has been painted. The sample boards up top are painted with the same paint, MINUS the one drop of maroon. I feel like it is too light...???? but not purple anymore. :)
September 21, 2012 at 1:07pm   
Vikrant Sharma Homez
The house looks amazing .
September 21, 2012 at 1:26pm   
lesliemahler
I can see the lavender tint now but the sample boards look amazing with the yellow!
September 21, 2012 at 1:34pm   
Nadine Stokes
Yes slightly lavender, but really gorgeous!!
September 21, 2012 at 2:12pm   
houssaon
I love this combination of yellow and grey. Hopy you get a grey you are comfortable with. It is hard for us to recommend. I would ask for some popular greys that SW produces and see if one looks good to you then sample. Our perception of color does change when seen next to other colors, different times of day and which side the house is facing. So make sure you like the front.
September 21, 2012 at 2:17pm   
pcmom1
Plant a field of lavender out front, and name your home "Lavender Hill"! Do like your "mistake" color.
September 21, 2012 at 2:20pm   
Natalie
Hi- oh goodness let's see if any of these colors will work for you---nothing quite like having to settle for something... No exception here... Please.\, pick these samples up from Sherwin Williams, take them home look at them against the lavendar---you should be able to see the undertones in each. Pick the one which speaks to you most... 6 colors-(2 colors per paint chip-3 paint chips total)---SW 7043, SW 7044, SW 7029, SW 7030, SW 7015, and SW 7016. Wish you lots of luck!
September 21, 2012 at 2:35pm   
torrizoe
I think the house is beautiful but you do need to be more than content. We played around with BM revere pewter and plat grey but wound up with BM eagle Rock. I think you'd like it. Our trim is the big question though. I love your mix of yellow with the grey!
We too put a grey inside that's taking on a lavender tone. I love it now. Not at first. Same advice we received was to play it up with yellow, eggplant or white. your house is light, but seems on trend.
September 21, 2012 at 2:48pm   
darley
Yikes! The yellow will not stay...was just the color of the shakes...thank you for the compliments! This has been a 6 year journey and our forever home. ;)
September 21, 2012 at 2:54pm   
Roots and Rafters
Sorry to hear you're not loving the paint you'd chosen originally. The house is gorgeous, though!

Here are a few Benjamin Moore colors you might consider:

Wrought Iron (50%)
Storm
Copley Grey
Kendall Charcoal
Coventry Gray

Take a look at this color scheme, for example: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/a-grey-color-scheme-updates-the-look-of-this-farmhouse

Good luck!
September 21, 2012 at 8:34pm   
apennameandthata
I don't understand the problem. That notwithstanding, allow me to try and help. Why not just not dilute the Platinum Grey so much to begin with? Or have them put in one drop of black instead of maroon. Or, have them put in a drop of green, which is from the opposite side of the wheel from maroon and will kill it dead?
September 22, 2012 at 6:26am   
Karen Heffernan
Benjamin Moore Gray Owl is a beautiful light gray
September 22, 2012 at 12:00pm   
judie
The home is beautiful but I do not like the yellow shingles or paint trim. In my opinion it makes the house lose its class and looks unfinished. For all its worth.
September 22, 2012 at 12:15pm   
darley
Thank you everyone who weighed in and sent advise on this small crisis. We ended up taking a piece of the original hardie board and had it color matched and that became our paint! There will not be any yellow left on the shakes, everything will be painted. I will add a picture towards the end of the week when they will hopefully be finished. Thank you!!!
September 30, 2012 at 12:35pm     
jhausman1945
The problem is the combination of the Pewter Grey against the sandstone yellow on the house. The yellow contrasts and amps up the maroon in the paint. Any grey you choose that has a red-bluepigment in it that comes close to contrasting with the yellow of that sandstone, no matter how little, will look purple to you.

You didn't say if you dropped the maroon from the 1/2 or full strength Pewter Grey. If it was the 1/2, try the full strength without the maroon pigment and see if it is right. If it's not right they should be able to calculate a 3/4 although the sample gets more expensive, etc.
September 30, 2012 at 1:01pm   
danaweg
Try Benjamin Moore (all following colors) exterior solid stain Sea Gull Gray on the main area of siding. For areas of present beige accents, exterior RM color also in exterior solid stain, Richmond Bisque. Doors paint Cottage Red, and structural accents such as deck rail, shed, underside of exposed beams, Lafayette Green - HC135. Get quart sizes of paint and test colors.
October 4, 2012 at 5:45am   
What is the paint color? A great gray that doesn't look lavender!
What is the paint color? A great gray that doesn't...
Looking for a fun tropical gray-blue exterior paint color!
We recently replaced the siding on our Florida Keys...
What is the exterior paint color? Looking for a gray and love this!
What is the exterior paint color? Looking for a gray...
Need Help with exterior paint color, gray metal roof
Not sure how to handle this- I just bought new home...
Need help with home addition...
My husband and I are looking to build an addition onto...
Support for overhang?
Our new kitchen island will be 72" long and have a...
What can I do with this wall??
I have no ideas for this wall!! I have had put things...
SOUND OFF: Accent Walls - Yes or No?
Do you love accent walls and/or have one in your home?...
What to do with this space?
New office space in need of some help. Any midcentury/eclectic...