Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassy_leyla

First post on Houzz & my first house! Plotting a fabulous kitchen remodel, ideas/advice?

sassy_leyla
11 years ago
Ok, so tomorrow my beloved and I are buying our dream house. Ecstatic feelings!
Only problem is, the kitchen (and I am firmly on board with the modern notion about it being the heart of the home, the most important room of the house) is kind of a nightmare. Luckily, it's a buyer's market and we got a great price on the house which leaves a healthy renovations budget. Let's spend it! Of course, we plan to live there for a couple decades (at least), so the primary reason to renovate is to create a room we will adore spending tons of time in for many, many years to come. But, it will help convince my down-to-earth fella' to spend more on better materials and appliances, IF I can make the case to him that they are a solid investment in the home, in the long run. I have very funky, striking and colorful/eclectic tastes .....but again, thinking long run, home investment upgrade, I agree I should keep things 'classic' in terms of the kitchen materials, and use interchangeable accessories to dazzle my senses and accomplish my personal stamp of personality to the space. I do, anyway, love black/white/silver (silver or mirrored glass mosaic tiles are awesome). Then you are free to throw a splash of color (red! yellow! orange! change it up every month!) with curtains, etc and liven things up as much as you want.

I have been reading a couple hundred articles about the pros and cons of surface materials for the walls/floors/countertops/cabinet faces.

I have saved a dozen photos here on houzz to a kitchen idea book to give an idea of features I love:
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/4489931/thumbs/Kitchen-ideas

I want to know if you guys think I have enough room for an island or peninsula. Those couple steps lead up to the dining area, and the wall you see with the fridge and freezer embedded will be removed partially or entirely (we still need to find out if a pipe can be rerouted to avoid leaving a pillar remaining after the majority of wall is removed) to open up the space to the dining area/fireplace (and living room is just beyond the fireplace there, so half the living room will also be visible from the kitchen when the wall is removed).

So, we need a place to house the fridge/freezer, and I want as big as I can fit in. I would LOVE an island with the cooktop/hood to be on the island so I don't have to face the wall to stir the food in the pan, but can carry on conversations with others in the room or in the dining room once it's all opened up. I think I need to remove all the cabinetry and start from scratch...

Do I have room for an island? Any suggestions on how to get everything I want into a relatively small space there?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    PoshHaus
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Welcome to posting on Houzz. Looks like you have a lot of great space and natural light to start with! Remember to consider your kitchen sink & faucet in you design... http://www.poshhaus.com/ Looking forward to following the project.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi Leyla,
    Congratulations on your new house! It looks like your kitchen probably can fit an island, but without dimensions I can't tell. But you can figure this out easily by taking some measurements. An island needs a minimum of 3' clearance from cabinets, and usually 42" or more if it stands near a stove, refrigerator, or dishwasher in order to clear the doors (these are general figures; the professionals here can give you more specific advice). So even though you don't know how you will lay out the appliances in your kitchen yet, you can get an estimate based on the current layout whether an island will fit or not.
    There is a series of articles/ideabooks on Houzz that identifies the components of different kitchen styles, including "classic" kitchens (I've included a link to that one below as your inspiration photos fit best into this category). If you go to "Ideabooks" on the upper menu and type "Kitchen Workbook" into the search box, you can browse through the whole series. Once you've identified some of your preferences for styles and materials, it will be easier to conceptualize the larger design. The more you know about what you want, the more people here can help.
    Best of luck!
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-elements-of-classic-kitchen-style-stsetivw-vs~1353248
  • sassy_leyla
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks posh, but I'm not in the US so I doubt I could conceivably shop from your facet/sink shop.
    feeny, I've read that article awhile back and found it so useful!
    I live in a part of the world where there is not much natural light to speak of half the year, so I do need to focus on 'light and bright' and reflective materials to liven the space up, when the windows are not really providing any sunlight. I think I'll have to have a designer help me install lighting into the ceiling in such a way that really attempts to help shed light on kitchen work during the dim, dark autumn/winters we have.

I'm pretty sure I want quartz worktops and maybe even quartz flooring. I've had quartz sink and countertops in my last home and they are so durable and easy and fabulous! But my last ones were totally white (superwhite) and ...that was boring. You couldn't tell by looking that they were anything special, only by touching. I'd like some mirrored or copper flecks to give a shimmer, but nothing too loud or granite-mimicky.

My front-running backsplash idea is glass with controlled LED lights behind, so you can pick your color based on the time of day and mood! During a party you could even set it to rotate between the colors of the rainbow every half a minute!

That way I can leave it as a white glow (extra lighting!) when I don't feel the need for color therapy, and in mornings if I want yellow or orange to invigorate and soothe the sadness of no sunshine, I can put those colors to help wake me up, and in evenings I could have blue or violet to give a feeling of calm after a hurried day.

I do have to measure! I think there is definitely room for an island, just not sure how big of one!
    Where do I put the refrigerator/freezer? Should I move the cooktop to the island or leave it against the wall (is that a huge project to relocate the hood?) ? Should I keep the second sink or get rid of it in favor of using that wall for other things? I need the primary sink to be there where it is with the cupboard above it because it will house drying racks where clean wet items are placed and allowed to drip dry into the sink (why don't you guys have this in the US??).

So many thoughts!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    It sounds like you have lots of great ideas! Two brief thoughts. First, I'm not a big fan of cooktops on islands because if you have any seating at the island the splatter can be a problem. Second, whether you keep two sinks or just one, I'd move your main sink in front of one of the windows so there isn't a cabinet in front of you while working at it; instead, there is a view.

Best of luck with your ambitious project!
  • sassy_leyla
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks!
    Cabinet and not window must be above the sink because the wet dishes are up there on drying racks, dripping down into the sink....
  • Susan Davis
    7 years ago
    Please hire a designer and tell your wants! Then go for a white kitchen with everything white or SS. This will give you reflective surfaces and you can do any color any time!
    In life white on white texture for interest and depth.
    If you can do a natural or floor this will add an organic look and feel to the kitchen and be both soft and warm in your feet.
    If you can do LED that will add energy savings as well and will last for at least ten years.
    You want 42 inches minimum for passage around island and the fridge needs 48 inches to avoid bottleneck as this is the most used appliance in the kitchen.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
  • smileythecat
    7 years ago

very old post

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago

4+ yr old post

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH