need help on choosing decor for my living room
stephanieSeptember 24, 2012
Hi ..I'm trying to figure out how to make my living room more retro and alived. We just moved in so I know its gonna take some time but for now id love some advice on what types of carpet I should get... pillows color and shape to go with my couches and frames and where to place them. I do have shelfs but don't know if there going too look good.id love to know peoples ideas and input. Please redecorate my living space please
Manon Floreat
I'm having a hard time orienting myself to your space. Is this a combination living/dining room? What's opposite the loveseat? Another picture of that area would be helpful.
    Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 10:50PM
stephanie
Yes it is a combo ..the pic of the other couch with the painting above is opposite of the loveseat I hope you can see the other pics I posted along with this post.;0
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:31AM
stephanie
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:31AM
You need to add color to the area so look for a short shag rug in a solid color, or possibly a patterned rug with color. But because there's a lot going on in this room, I favor a solid rug. Add 2 square pillows of color A, 1 sq. of color B, and 1 rectangular pillow that either combines colors A and B in a pattern or is color C. Rug woul be either color A or B. Look for a big colorful piece of art that combines the colors of rug and pillows.
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:54AM
The first part of my answer above disappeared into cyberspace. What I said was that I would place the sofa and loveseat in an L formation with round end table between the two pieces and a sq. coffee table in front. Add 1 table lamp and 1 floor lamp.
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:59AM
stephanie
im tryin t o fit this in my head and work it out but this living room is so small and i dont want to block the entry way ..... and the tv is far? there be a empty space with the babies stuff..... when you say a n b do you mean i pick the colors lol im sorry i am soo clueless on where to start. i dont even know what kind of frames to get.
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 3:49PM
stephanie
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 3:49PM
Yes, when I say A and B ,I do want you to select the colors. You have not given us enough information to select the colors for you. I believe you'd be better off hiring an interior designer in your area to help you with your home. Having a new home and a baby can be absolutely overwhelming. A good interior designer should be able to assist you and also help you avoid expensive mistakes.
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 5:44PM
Nancy Reid
I think you need to define an area for the baby, maybe with big coloured lego tiles, if possible lose the dog cage, maybe in the hall or bedroom. You have to decide on a colour scheme and if the area is small paint the whole thing one colour eg a pale greyish blue or a light yellow. Move your TV to the corner and postion your love seat in front of the set on a diagonal line
1 Like    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 5:56PM
stephanie
Yes...that sounds great. I never thought about putting the tv in the corner.... and when you say big lego pieces what do you mean? Yes id like for you to pick out my colors. I like brown green and reds and I was going to put black and white pictures up in black frames? I want to keep it simple so maybe 3 big frames next to each other. Just a idea. Thank you so much for your input and help
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:34PM
pcmom1
Baby and pets! One thing you can do with the pet crate is to disguise it! Top with a piece of plywood for sturdiness and then top that with something: can be material, or, better yet, woven wood, bamboo, etc. Use it in a corner next to the sofa or a chair as an end table. Shop for a retro ceramic lamp in one of the colors from your sofa pillows to place on top.

First thing you will want to do is arrange your furniture. Looks like you have a love seat and a sofa. Haven't quite figured out your floor plan, but I think your tv should go where the sofa is (one with the pillows). Then I would group the furniture in a L shape (sofa is floating, not against a wall, loveseat next to it at 90 degrees) to watch tv and that way it will be close for conversation.

Next, purchase your rug: go on line to Home Decorators, they have a ton. Probably need at least 5 by 7ft. Retro, I would think a simple shag, no wild pattern to compete with your great coffee table.

For art, head to thrift and antique stores and frame up some great old album covers and group them on the wall.

The area where your love seat is I would designate as the baby space and put play pen, swing, etc. there. Be nice to have a colorful rug in this area. Something soft (wool or cotton blend) for baby to play on.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:38PM
Manon Floreat
I'm still having a little trouble understanding the space. But, I made a furniture arrangement based on my best guestimate of what's opposite the loveseat. I know that you said that the sofa is opposite it, but from the photos it looks like a table(?) of some sort. Take a look at this and let us know if this approximates your floor plan.

I think you should use your throw pillows to jump start your color palette. They're quite lively looking. Pottery Barn is having a sale. Here a couple that might work for you.
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:49PM
stephanie
the family / dining is 13 one by 21 three and the other living room is 11 six by 14 three i also uploaded some phontos....
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 7:23PM
zannie52
GREAT SPACE! FIRST MOVE THE DOG STUFF SOME WHERE ELSE! AS SOON AS YOU COME IN HELLO! DOG! THE SMELL IS A TURN OFF UNLESS YOU ARE SUPER NEAT! ONLY PUT BABY STUFF IN THIS ROOM WHEN YOU AND BABY ARE THERE! THEM MOVE IT BACK TO BABY'S ROOM! NICE TABLE ADD ACCENT PIECE! I YOU NEED COLOR!
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 7:46PM
zannie52
PUT UP A CURTAIN TO HIDE THE MUD ROOM! USE TENSION ROD! THIS WILL ALSO GIVE YOU COLOR! DE CLUTTER! SORRY NO OFFENSE! AREA RUG IF YOUR DOG IS HOUSE TRAINED!ADD PICTURES, AND PERSONAL THING OF BOTH OF YOU TO GIVE YOUR HOME A PERSONAL TOUCH! I CAN SEE BOTH OF YOU RELAXING IN A BEAUTIFUL LIVING SPACE! HAPPY DECORATING!
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 7:54PM
stephanie
Awww thanks yes I'm def a neat freak my house doesn't smell nothing like dog. Lol I put the kennel somewhere else.
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 8:07PM
Faith_Stubbs Meadows
slipcover furniture with retro prints preferably geometrics or do white with loud geometric pillows. roman shades with geometric prints would be fabulous. Good luck
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 8:37AM
Elise
From the size of the kennel, you have a fairly large dog. Does it shed? If it is allowed on the furniture, slipcovers in patterns or solids close to the color of the dog hair will help to disguise it. Love the idea of a thick napped rug for the baby and barefootin' in the house.

I like your music print above the sofa. Like Manon said, Pottery Barn pillows with the zippered covers, would be easy to clean and you can watch for the sales. Your pillows are nice, the pattern could be complemented by adding a couple solid color pillows in complementary colors, such as the green and yellow in the fabric. Pull colors out of the art print or the pillows to play with. You seem to lean towards reds and greens as accent colors. Babies love to look at vibrant colors, so keep on going with it.

I like Nancy Reid's ideas. Behind the sofa is a great place to stash storage for baby stuff, and on the diagonal is a fun way to arrange the space. Consider dark wood frames instead of black as you don't seem to lean toward a super modern look but retro instead.

You don't seem to have many windows?
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:40AM
stephanie
Thank you so much..no it doesn't have many windows just one window and the door that leads to patio . This was a living and dining set up but we chose to use the other living room as dining ..it has many windows. But smaller space. In the corner is a built in office. And our sofas are huge so only way I found to fit is one on each end. And our home is built where driveway starts from garage and entrance entrance goes through mud room . Because no one can park out front the front is rarely used. Ad the dog is never allowed on furniture. I got rid of the kennel and he does shed
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:59AM
marybgreen
The overstuffed couch will never look retro. The most you can go for is ecclectic if you need to keep it.
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 4:16AM
Faith_Stubbs Meadows
that is right but a retro slipcover will help with color
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 8:30AM
marybgreen
Balance is key in any decor...a slipcover would only call attention to the fact that the couch is not right.
Now, if you would slit the upholstery pull out the "puffiness" and slim down the lines, then a tight (!) nuetral slipcover would work. THEN you put retro in pillows...like an overweight woman (me included) pulls on the spanx, dons the LBD and focuses the eye on spots of color and print...
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 8:40AM
pcmom1
You are a young family starting out, I am sure budget is an issue.

If you aren't in love with your sofa and loveseat (I know you have said they are huge), go around to consignment furniture stores. If what your are looking for (retro style sofa) isn't there, let them know what you are shopping for. If they aren't good about calling, keep making the rounds because the good stuff goes fast!

One gal where I live has a standing order to put a hold on all Danish Modern furniture that comes in!

When you find what you want, have them take your sofas to sell (they normally take 50 percent, but you don't have the hassle of selling yourself!). Or donate them to college students, etc.
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 9:51AM
stephanie
thank you so much.... yes we are on budget.... i dont like the bulkiness of these couches. they take so much space even the end tables. im concerned and maybe you could help me. the space is split . i cant make a cozy living room without blocking the enterance. they built a office in the corner so that cant be blocked either . and i was considering making one side the babies section and one side wall mounting the flat screen.... but then the other side would be sorta bare . any ideas?
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 11:29AM
Elise
Move your sofa to where the loveseat is. Move loveseat to facing tv, up against kitchen peninsula, then baby and dog stuff in corner where sofa was. If you can't put dog kennel out in mudroom, then keep it in corner by baby bed and toss a rug or blanket over it. You can then use it like a table. Try and keep baby stroller out in mudroom also. Coffee table goes in the middle of the floor facing tv.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 1:17PM
pcmom1
Put hand towels under your furniture legs so you can push it around (or buy furniture sliders from Home Depot). Right now you have all your furniture pushed against a wall. Bring everything out and play around with it.

I drew out your room as best I could with guesses on dimensions. I can't see your sofa and loveseat fitting together. Here is an option for you to try.

If tv can be moved anywhere: I would put it at a 45 degree angle in the corner where the play pen and larger sofa touch. (It would be great if you could find a nice entertainment center at consignment store, etc. to raise tv up more, and hide stuff away).

Float the large sofa towards the tv. Coffee table in front. Shop and add two small, even dining size chairs on opposite sides of coffee table, just for more seating.

Then on the other side of room, take love seat and the end table and bring them out and turn them towards the wall. The back of loveseat will basically have its back to the other seating area (I am making a watch baby play zone), have the back right at the entrance to the doorway. Put the playpen against the wall where the tv was. Put swing into the corner, stroller in the other corner.

Now one area of the room is for conversation and tv. The other is the desk, watch baby area. This will come together more once you add area rugs to each side. Rugs really anchor your spaces.
    Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 3:14PM
Elise
Mamifelger, how's the furniture moving going? Send us a picture when you are satisfied.
    Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 6:01PM
mamifelger28
Yes wondeful....out of all the ways I tried your idea wassss perfect for me and since baby stuff worked great. I'm like why didn't I think of this..out of allll the ways I tried now I feel cozy warm united ... one side doesn't feel empty I enjoy being in the living room now I meant to write you but it wouldent let me. I can't wait till my husband gets back from the field he was set in his ways that we couldent find another way to do our furniture...I'm gonna be like loook :0) I posted another question idlove for your ideas and input elise.
    Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 7:36PM
Need help decorating my living room
Recently bought new leather sectional. I now want to...
sunitiu
Need help decorating my living room
Let me start by saying that I am horrible at decorating....
dogsrule
Need help with choosing the right color sofa for my living room .
This is what it looks like I need help with the color...
priyanka20
Need Help with decorating my living room
I have a sofa and loveseat both espresso in color....
dmarino624
Major help decorating my dull living room (First time living alone)
So, my husband and I are both 24 and finally have our...
annievibes
Ideas for an unusual window seat in the master bedroom
We are updating our master bedroom by adding some more...
pauline39
Need help master bed room furniture
Replacing master bedroom furniture need advice what...
rubygrewal
What is your take on Ikea cabinets?
My hardwood flooring is med brown hand scraped hickory....
katlen191
living and dining room combo
please help with furniture placement, color or any...
mateny
Need help finding affordable (non-IKEA) modern white kitchen cabinets
I am building a new modern home. I want high gloss...
elisalinscott