How to fill giant Wall Space?
shatzy
We just moved to this house and the living room has a giant wall. I am struggling with ideas to decorate this wall. Please ignore the furniture in the room, we are still changing. There is a good chance the couch will remain on this wall (nothing else) so I could use ideas on how to decorate the wall?

Wall dimensions are 10 feet tall, 18 feet wide. The color is a light taupe, almost looks like a chocolate milkshake (sorry the pics are horrible -- the wall looks pinkish). I prefer french country or beach cottage style: really simple, thoughtful components. Not a fan of mix-matched, collage style photos on the wall.

I've had several ideas (botanical prints, paintings, etc) but the wall is so big, I'm not sure I can break up the wall without having to put so much stuff on it? Open to creative suggestions!!
londonboring
Hi, I had the same problem in my old home. We purchased a large book case. I loved it. It was perfect and everyone that visited always complimented the book case. Great for displaying as well. Excuse the room. In our new home we didn't have room so my son has it in his room. Good luck! London
0 Likes   September 25, 2012 at 10:20AM
londonboring
1 Like   September 25, 2012 at 10:21AM
designmunkey
Two built in bookcases on each end would shrink the wall. If you do a large piece of art, consider putting a color rectangle under the art to make it pop even more and delineate the space. Another option is to put a texture on the entire wall. Poly-form, Che-metal, etc..., Try painting a different color below the chair rail (or remove the rail completely). Thin-brick or slate would make it a dynamic attention getter, but you didn't describe your style or goal. Best of luck.
0 Likes   September 25, 2012 at 11:13AM
mpoulsom
i like the bookcase ideas as well. Maybe you could move the couch forward a bit so that you can walk behind it. Not sure what the other side of the room looks like though. Put a narrow sofa tabel behind it . Add 2 bookcases on each end of the back wall (example below). A big nice piece of artwork whether it be a painting, a wall sculpture in the center between the bookcases and maybe even 2 sconces on either side of the artwork. That would fill up your wall for sure! :)
1 Like   September 25, 2012 at 12:22PM
Natalie
Wallpaper---Folding screen---wallpaper a store bought folding screen ------ Hope this is helpful!
1 Like   September 25, 2012 at 1:30PM
pcmom1
Not really that large of an area to fill. First, add a large palm or ficus (real) in a great container to one of the corners. Bring the sofa out into the room more, even if you just add a sofa table behind. Add some accessories to that. Bring the end table with the lamp over to the end of the sofa.

Then, look on line at Ballard Designs, Houzz for wall arranging ideas. Shop for some art you love, ask the artist if you can take some pieces home to try. I would post some ideas for you: but haven't yet learned how to do that!

When you have more than one large painting and want to try out arrangements. Lay everything out on the floor. Then make some pattern cut outs of the art and tape to the wall. When you are happy with it, then get the hammer and nails!
1 Like   September 25, 2012 at 2:28PM
I would avoid placing your sofa against the wall, which actually emphasizes the length of the room. I like the idea mentioned by others of bookcases on the wall. I particularly like Ikea's Billy bookcases
with the added height pieces that make them around 90" high.

So, if you place your sofa sideways in the room, you could indeed place a folding screen behind it as mentioned by Natalie. Folding screens come in many forms as you'll see in the houzz picture section if you enter "folding screens". With a folding screen behind your sofa you will have created a separate "room" behind the screen.
0 Likes   September 25, 2012 at 2:36PM
shatzy
I should have mentioned that I have two sofas exactly the same (70 inches) so configuring the room is a bit complicated. Also, I liked the bookshelf idea but I honestly removed my bookshelves because I was tired of seeing them.

I was hoping for something a bit more spacious without compromising floor space. I love the idea of using a sofa table behind the couch and I liked the idea of a large houseplant in the corner!!
0 Likes   September 25, 2012 at 4:10PM
mpoulsom
shatzy, you may want to add a couple of pictures from different angles of this room. It may help others to give you other options. like whether facing the sofas is an option turned in a totally different direction than the way it is placed against that wall right now. If this is your living area for watching tv perhaps the tv should go on that wall???
0 Likes   September 25, 2012 at 4:51PM
What is the width of the room and what do you want to do in this room? Are there any chairs involved?
1 Like   September 25, 2012 at 5:33PM
Nancy Reid
Maybe a sofa table behind the couch with a complimentary set of lamps or art pieces. A large canvas painting balanced with a large floor house plant to soften the look
0 Likes   September 25, 2012 at 6:12PM
bprince300
Wow - what a nice big wall to play with - If you like to play with color, paint a beach scene on the wall and find some old window frames to place over the scenes, then arrange sofas on both sides so you can all enjoy the view out of your new windows. (ooh, it looks beautiful ..... so relaxing) If that seems a bit too much, try having a favorite landscape photo ( in whatever style you choose) blown up to large scale, printed on canvas, sliced into a trio/triptych and stretched over frames. Use your sand colored sofas, aquamarine colored walls, a big sisal area rug , beach towel colored accents pieces, beautiful shells, beach glass, whatever other beachy items you love and leave it relaxed and open ! (dont forget the right lighting)
0 Likes   September 25, 2012 at 10:43PM
brolantis
I bought a large painted floor screen that was on sale 'cuz it was so large. My husband removed the hinges and I touched up the paint and we hung up the 5 pieces and it looks amazing! It looks like an antique and always elicites compliments on our valuable work of art!
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 8:36AM
Nilesh Tailor
How about a nice wall painting?
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 8:39AM
Nilesh Tailor
Or even mirrors. We use mirrors in our house to make the living room look/feel larger than it is.
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 8:39AM
artlaw
Two suggestions....Lots of wonderful quilts around...antique, family heirlooms...some are almost contemporary in use of color and design...If possible, light them with small recessed ceiling spots and consult professional ways of hanging to prevent damage if they are old or sentimental value.
Suggestion two: start a collection of almost anything! Maybe only pics of roses, landscapes, "paint-by-numbers", old mirrors, animals....Get the family involved...great way to structure time together scouring flea markets, antique fairs, household sales. Establish a ceiling price per piece. Start hanging them up when you have 3/4 pieces and just keep adding. You'll be building memories as well as "decor."
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 8:49AM
DO-STAGE! LLC
DO-STAGE!
I really would like to see the entire room! You need to stand in the doorway of the room and see where your eye flows to a "pop out" area of the room. If this is the long wall then a huge eye catching picture would be nice on the wall to give a "Wow" effect! Otherwise, I agree with the others -- don't be afraid to pull the sofa out from the wall -- angle it or center it in an end area (or sitting area)of the room with a sofa table behind it or sofa table behind the angled way too! If you are located in North Carolina - Charlotte area (or radius nearby),call me to ASP Stage this room!!!! 704-575-1007.
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 10:15AM
Garbe Industries
The answer to that question is Ceiling Medallions. No, not for your ceiling but for your walls. Take inexpensive ceiling medallions that come in many shapes, sizes and designs, and simply paint them and create a collage on you wall. Some have holes in them; simply put a mirror or photo behind it. Simple as 1, 2, 3.
2 Likes   September 27, 2012 at 8:20AM
Lot 26 Studio, Inc.
Along with the other suggestions, I'd put a larger wall canvas or two on that wall, as they will pop out and look great in the room while minimizing the blank space. Check out some of these examples to get an idea for what you want: www.lot26.com/s/Canvas-Wall-Hangings
0 Likes   October 5, 2012 at 10:17AM
StoneMar Natural Stone Company LLC
I love those pictures, Garbe Industries! I want that in my house. What a great idea.
0 Likes   October 5, 2012 at 10:22AM
Sherry Mau
How about putting floating shelves that go the length of the wall or picture ledges(something like these but longer to fit your wall.)
0 Likes   October 5, 2012 at 2:04PM
How did you space and fill the spacing on the plywood walls?
Doing a similar project so curious as to how much space...
rog251
How did you space and fill (the spacing) the plywood walls?
I have a similar project (in my barn) and need to figure...
rog251
How do I fill up a huge wall space?
I have a very high wall in my living room. Currently...
Taylor McPartland
Fireplace wall...how should I fill the spaces on each side?
I'm so indecisive when it comes to this entire wall....
tammy74112
How to fill up large wall space
Hi, We have a large wall and I could use some advice...
cmort57
Need advise for buying comfortable stylish chairs
I am in a dilemma over designing the small living room...
mydesignworld
Backsplash for kitchen with fire bordeaux granite countertops
We are building a new home and have chosen fire bordeaux...
vialpando1004
Help my Bathroom!!!
My log cabin guest bathroom is really boring. I want...
cabinretreater43
Request design advice from the Pros for an inspiring exterior!
Here is my colonial stucco home. I am changing the...
kellychipley
My livingroom needs help! Bay windows opposite fireplace challence...
We bought a house with a big livingroom where we would...
krickelina