Need ideas for Tall Walls and Fireplace
sugarpurlSeptember 25, 2012
Need to give this room a facelift! Just painted it off whites, and now need advice on wall treatments, fireplace makeover, and well, the whole room. French country is my thing. Can't wait to see the houzzers' take on this blank canvas!
karen paul interiors
When you say wall treatments, I'm assuming you are not referring to wall color since you've recently repainted?
    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 8:23PM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Ooo-La-La Sugarpurl, how about bucolic with just green, black and white to the nth degree? Then you could pop in any color at any time, changing with the seasons, your moods, the latest trends. In which region of the country are you?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 8:30PM
maryloudesjardins
Your place is amazing. A grand home deserves a grand fireplace.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 8:40PM
Are you open to the idea of re-cladding the existing fireplace bricks?

2 Likes    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 5:27AM
Dar Eckert
http://www.hgtv.com/design-star/design-star-how-tos-clever-diy-projects-inspired-by-the-show/pictures/page-3.html

You could add moulding like a large frame on the wall adjacent to the fireplace. The frame would be the nearly the same width as the cabinet below running to about a 6 inches to a foot below the ceiling and the same distance above the cabinet below. The attached photo is an example of how this was done for a large expanse of wall space. I think I would hang a huge chandelier above the area in front of the fireplace or put a huge sculpture or painting on the fireplace. If you use art a long oriental scroll painting would be interesting if you can find one.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 6:03AM
jet99
I would definitely get rid of the mirror over the fireplace. You need something that works with the height of the wall, rather than contrasting with it. A long piece of artwork or a grouping that extends further up the brick is what I would choose so it can be the focal point of the room. Pick something that has the colors you want to use to accent the rest of the room in.

Also, it looks like the inside of the cabinet next to the fireplace is painted a dark color. If you're going white, go all the way and paint that too.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 6:32AM
sugarpurl
Diane, you are a genius! Bucolic style is EXACTLY what I'm after! Even I didn't know that! Here's the setting: 80 acre equestrian farm in the middle of Tennessee's rolling hills. The house is a William Poole design called the Edisto River Cottage. What do you think about starting with painting the stairs white, and the rail dark chocolate black? There's a baby grand Steinway to consider. Thank you, Mary. It is indeed a grand space. We have a falling in weathered wood structure on the property. Perhaps I could have the wood planed and cover that brick or a wall. I love formal spaces,but this is a real farm house, with English riding helmets, boots, and music! I love stacked wood, and can see that taking over the current tv area. Let's get crazy!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:24AM
sugarpurl
David, I would love to create a rock wall, but right now I have a budget somewhere between a white limestone wash, and covering it with old barn wood from my property. Can you picture the limestone wash with a large beam mantel replacing the formal existing structure? Dar, I'm a visual artist and can create a large piece for the space. I really like your idea of breaking up the large walls with a faux wainscotting. If i did it up the stairs, I could include my black and white montage of family photos, like a frame within a frame ;)! Interesting! Jett99, the mirror will go, to be sure! Thanks for the advice of changing the cabinet colors inside. I have been toggling between Navy, a greyed Robins Egg, or BM Chelsea Gray. I hadn't considered white. Could be hip!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:34AM
mpoulsom
The barnwood sounds great to cover the fireplace...that gets my vote for sure! I wanna see a huge abstract painting of a horse in that room! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:57AM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Oh, thank you for the compliment, very generous of you! I'm psyched about your loving the ”Hip Bucolic” look. Your idea for black railings is perfect, if you commit to all the bones being black and white then add in natural green and accessories that reflect your equestrian surrounds...spectacular! I too am a visual artist and my crazy approach is hardware art, perhaps you would want to try something that is a found item in the countryside applied in an abstract manner? I'm soooooo excited for you!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:46AM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Click on photo to enlarge, this was recently juried into the OC American Institute of Architects ArtWalk.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:47AM
sugarpurl
Congratulations on being chosen for the OCAIAA, Diane! Really cool idea with the raw art, and I can dig stiff like this up all over the country side. I have a small collection of rusty horse bits that I must display :) MPoulsom, that is just visionary! A giant abstract horse it is. We'll end up having a show house designed by houzz.... fantastic! My original thought is a minimalist Picasso style black line horse figure on linen or white canvas.... let's see if I hold to it. I'm going to go get my gloves on and fill the truck bed with some of that barn wood, have it leaning on that fireplace when hubs gets home.
Hip, Bucolic, Belgian, Equestrian, with a French twist and a love song. I found my style. Keep those ideas coming!
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 11:06AM
14thstreet
It's looking great! Already I see the transformation. Love the idea of an abstract horse art piece.
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 12:24PM
sugarpurl
Wow. The barn wood idea went over well. So it's now on the table as a bonafide option. I've attached pictures of the old house from where I will scrap the wood if we go this route.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 4:47PM
14thstreet
We took barn wood from my Grandmother's property and used it on a wall in our old house. I miss it so much! WIsh I could've taken that wall with me--the new owner's wouldn't have loved that though...

So yeah, I love the idea - with all those creamy walls and traditional mouldings, it will be beautiful!
    Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 6:56AM
Old World Stoneworks
Your setting of the rolling hills of Tennessee would compliment a stone surround. I also agree with a leaner and taller piece of artwork above. The fire place mantel should be proportionate to the existing dimensions of your firebox. You want to have the focal point fit the firebox first. Secondary to that is how it fits in the space. You can compliment your focal point to the space of the room. But if you attempt to fit the space of the room to the focal point you could end up with a beautiful surround that just just fit your firebox. Thus creating a disproportionate focal point.
Some other questions to ask might be in regards to your overmantel made of stone. Overmantels are complimentary design details. They should not overpower the space. In otherwords, you want to avoid an overmantel that looks like Abe Lincolns hat. For example, you want someone to walk into the space of the room and say "Wow beautiful focal point and by the way nice overmantel." You do not want someone to walk in and say, "Wow look at that overmantel and by the way nice focal point."
    Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 7:50AM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Sugarpurl, your newly defined style...your barnwood...your horse bits art...your line drawing art...French and Belgium influences...the lush countryside...please just open a b and b so this California girl can see it all! I'm very impressed with your dedication to the design process. Now I'm starting to picture accessories that mix together tall riding boots, hair on hide rug (I have a great resource fyi), glimmers of hip metallic items...totally envy. Send a photo of your art! InsideoutDiane
    Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 8:26AM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Sugarpurl, I found photos for you, they are from: a project of mine in Newport Coast, CA, Design In Black & White, Perfect Neutrals and Black & White (and a little bit inbetween) (note: my apologies for not knowing how to underline book titles here). Enjoy! click photos to see entire shot
    Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 9:33AM
Need Design Ideas To Accessorize Fireplace Mantel and Wall
The top of the mantel is 72 inches from the floor....
jagood
need ideas for drapery tall window
want to hang long drapes room is neutral color. ...
cichonski
Tall walls around fireplace
What are some ideas to fill the walls around our TV?...
mwilke
Need help making a statement on my tall walls.
My walls are tall and boring! They do nothing to complete...
Denice Shuty
I need ideas for my fireplace, mantel, lighting and wall color!
I would really like to have a new mantel and lighting....
duety
Kitchen floors
Help! I want wood flooring. Should I choose a floor...
pewicks
I already own black appliances and would like to update...
erinhamilton
Need help with selecting a backsplash for my new kitchen...
Hi...We are having granite put in our kitchen and I...
lorricav
Fireplace Mantel & Surround Modification Choice
Following up on your suggestions I've gone back to...
Louis
Long Entry/Living Room/Dining Help
Hi! We recently purchased our first home and are having...
aimeestauffer