Living room design nightmare
koganroach
I give up! I can't get this space to work! I've wasted so much time and money. Just hire a designer?? I've already spent so much on furniture and have to pay restocking fees of nearly $1,000. I just want this OVER and am about to return all furniture and sit on pillows on floor. Help!!!
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Oh, you poor thing, step back from the ledge and tell us more. Never fear, Houzz is here! : ) Diane
1 Like   September 25, 2012 at 9:28PM
Manon Floreat
Don't despair. There's no need to sit on the floor, unless you're thinking about going completely bohemian. What is it that is bothering you about your space? And which space is yours - the first or second photo?
1 Like   September 25, 2012 at 9:29PM
koganroach
It's the same space - with two different sofas. I bought the dark one for the family room - but looked awful - so tried it in living room (pictures). Here's the light sofa another way.....
1 Like   September 25, 2012 at 10:17PM
Manon Floreat
The lighter sofa is more contemporary and does more to compliment your floors and fireplace. It's very nice as are the rest of your furnishings. Have you considered putting it in the same position as the one in the first photo? The reason I ask, is that its current position looks like it might hinder entry into the room.
1 Like   September 25, 2012 at 10:24PM
bprince300
You do have very nice pieces - It appears in your pics that the room is very long for a single conversation area - Can you 'zone' your spaces using the back of the L sofa with a narrow console table behind, the area rug & glass table to define the inside of the space and the pair of chairs along the open half-wall with small table between ? Any media next to the fireplace ? If not , how about built-in or even floating shelves on the empty side of that end wall ? Can the dark cabinet / bar be used on the long, solid wall between kitchen and living rm ? or in the family room ? (sorry - its a bit difficult to tell what the function and scale of that piece is ) If your darker sofa is a single vs wrap around, try it again with a smaller area in mind. It may have worked and would complement the chair seats. Paint might make a big difference too - thats another chapter ; )
0 Likes   September 25, 2012 at 11:26PM
triplelll
Your space has good bones, including your furniture. It just needs some jewellry, ie accent pillows
and maybe one piece of art for the wall behind the sofa, I like sites like Allposters, they have great canvas art.....I would maybe flip that area rug somewhere else, and put in a lighter one with some texture to offset the leather, ie shag or wool. This would give warmth to the space. You have done excellent with getting the basics in, now its time to have fun with the accessories!
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 1:25AM
Something about your area rug is bugging me. I think it's too narrow. If you moved it flush against the long wall, or as close as you can without having the short end of the sectional fall off, I think that might work better.

Or possible replace it with a patterned rug? To add some interest to an otherwise "solid" room? Make it more lively?
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 3:56AM
D John Design
It appears that the piece to the right of the fireplace is too big. What about putting it where the chairs currently are and bringing the chairs more into the space for conversation. Think your rug is too small for the space - here you can go with a pattern for more interest.
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 4:13AM
michigammemom
I prefer the lines and color of the lighter sofa with the Noguchi table. I would suggest a piece of abstract art rather than the mirror over your arm chairs as the mirror is presently reflecting your bar. Throw pillows with a tribal look would also be a great addition. Take a look at the collection at West Elm.
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 4:24AM
koganroach
This is my favorite lay out...but requires returning the cognac sofas. Agree with side tables, lamps, art, etc - we just moved in so I wanted to get sofa right - then accessorize around it.
0 Likes   September 26, 2012 at 2:57PM
Living room decor nightmare
Hello! I am new around here and I am SO excited that...
Robin Rasmussen
80's Nightmare....living rooms
Our Florida home is stuck in the 80's. We are getting...
bbretz
HELP!!! Living room nightmare
Just moved into this house and had visions of what...
wallizgrl
Living Room Nightmare
Help please! How do I make this room look 'put together'?...
niksmom111
L Shaped Living Room - nightmare continues
Hi I had placed this question earlier and got some...
debiswas
Painting an IKEA vanity
I'm putting an IKEA Godsmorgan vanity into my kid's...
mamabossinthelbc
Are cornice boards out of style?
I have a dining room window that I don't want to put...
Jessica Valind
Wood floors - options?
Can't tell if these hardwood floors absolutely require...
castelljennifer
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
LeAnne Cantrell
Old home with original woodwork..
we are -hopefully- getting a 1919 home loaded with...
Britney Beougher