small bedroom
dorky0421
Hi i have a 10x10 bedroom i need help with decorating.i have my computer table on the right side of the room.this is the only space i have for the bed..i have a double bed
ty
What kind of bedrooms do you like? Any idea what sort of style you would like?
September 26, 2012 at 4:00PM     
Do you like any of these designs? [houzz=Teen Boy's Bedroom] [houzz=1864] [houzz=High Line]
September 26, 2012 at 4:13PM   
mrstinylady
You could also do the under bed storage!
September 26, 2012 at 4:38PM   
pcmom1
First thing: head out to furniture stores, furniture consignment stores and purchase a bed frame, night stand. We must get the bed off the floor. And, as you look at furniture decide your style. In such a small room: keep it very simple!

Another option is a simple metal frame that only holds the mattress and create your own headboard (go on Houzz for ideas, could be upholstered plywood, old door, etc.)

Second, most important decorating step: no clutter! Maybe you are just moving in? Anyway store or give away things.

Find bedding you like. Then add curtain panels to go with the bedding (hit Tuesday Morning). Get 96 inch long. Purchase a heavy rod and hang to the ceiling. Also hang wider than the window.

Add great pillows to the bed and a lamp (see pics above!)
September 26, 2012 at 4:53PM     
mccutcheon1
I've been there. First get the mattress and box springs off the floor. Looking down at things makes you feel more confined, and you can embrace under-the-bed storage. Then get a color on the walls that makes you feel good. I've had super dark green that made the walls recede and the room seem bigger. I now have Benj. Moore Celestia blue, a pale airy lavender that makes the room feel open to the sky. Consider painting the ceiling and walls the same color; it's easier and doesn't break up the space. Try putting a curtain rod at or even on the ceiling--Country Curtains has them--so you a big vertical shape. And maybe a solid color drape. Little squares make the one you have look cluttered, I think. Get the top of the drape all the way across the window, so the a/c doesn't cut the window in half. If you put the head of the bed under the window, you may be able to fit the desk where the little shelves are. The you have a desk/night table for your new bed frame. See the 1864 picture in the post above. Put drinks on a tray so any spills will be contained. Got a desk lamp? Get another lamp or floor lamp, and kill the overhead lighting. The High Line room in Bobbi P's post shows the lift you get from putting shelves high in the wall, not in a squashed little cabinet. Shelves can be boards on L shaped brackets. I can't say anything about the laundry since I do the same. But a pop out nylon net bag that hangs on the door knob at least stays off the floor. A row of pegs also helps get clothes off the floor with minimal effort. Mine are behind the door. Good luck!
September 26, 2012 at 5:06PM     
What bed?
September 26, 2012 at 5:09PM     
nasmijati
A Hollywood bed frame is a very simple metal frame, and will get the mattress and box springs off the floor. Look at a thrift store for the bed frame as well as bed risers. The risers will give you more room under the bed for storage.

Put the laundry baskets on the closet floor. Sort by color (lights, darks, and pinks) as you get undressed.

Put a row of pegs or hooks on the wall near the door for backpack, purse, keys, bathrobe.

Put a full length mirror on the back of the bedroom door to be sure you look your best before leaving the room.

You have been given good suggestions for paint, window treatments, and bedding.

Go to FlyLady.net to learn how to keep your space looking ready for a magazine photo shoot every day!

Best wishes.
September 29, 2012 at 3:09PM     
mccutcheon1
I like tipi's ideas except the Hollywood frame. I had one for years and constantly banged my shins on it in my little room. Look at eBay and Craigslist and any used furniture or antique stores in your area. You can find a bed under $100, I know (I looked).
September 29, 2012 at 3:32PM   
nasmijati
Yes, mccutcheon1, Hollywood bed frames are good shin crackers. I was just thinking it would be the least expensive bed frame. However, online sites might have better frames than a Hollywood.
September 29, 2012 at 3:37PM   
mccutcheon1
Hi, tipi! Of course, I'm wicked clumsy and bang into furniture all day long. And wood isn't foam padding. It's just that I've had five spare beds to get rid of and still have one in the way. Another good spot for online bargains is eBay classifieds. And your friends' garages. ;)
September 29, 2012 at 5:12PM   
Linda
I'm a big believer in raising the bed high enough to slide laundry baskets underneath. It may not look perfect but it is much better than wasting all that valuable storage space. My daughter has a short table made from a large cabinet door and some metal legs from IKEA which slides under the bed when not in use and pulls out for plenty of space for her projects.
September 29, 2012 at 7:38PM   
Cheryl Bergman
DEFINITELY BED RISERS!!! My last room was 10x10 and looked AMAZING- and that was part of my secret!

That curtain throws off the space and makes it look smaller than it needs to look! Over the door hooks can be your savior too! To the left of the window, you can put a tall shelving unit which could save some space for you. I would also recommend something like the Expedit from Ikea if it will fit because then you could put lots of boxes in there with all your stuff that will eliminate your clutter!!! Good luck!!!
September 29, 2012 at 9:18PM   
dorky0421
Thank you guys..any photos? Im not a creative person ...t
September 30, 2012 at 11:50AM   
Aggie Purvinska
you need to make this much more zen, paint the walls a soothing color, slate gray, replace curtains with linen white, get an upholstered bed frame so you don't bang your pinky,
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sophie-Beige-Fabric-Tufted-Full-size-Platform-Bed/6042678/product.html

Get a nightstand, it can be either white or dark espresso,

get a nice small glass desk with dark accent, or white or nickel
September 30, 2012 at 12:01PM     
pcmom1
Big zen concept: no clutter!
September 30, 2012 at 12:11PM   
nasmijati
I Googled "small bedroom solutions" and looked at "small bedroom solutions images." An idea for you is a bed frame with drawers underneath.

A floor to ceiling bookcase would allow you to store not only your books, but also decorative boxes or baskets for small things like hair accessories, school supplies, lotions and makeup, and so on.

Have you had time to go to a thrift store or flea market?

What are your thoughts? I am eager to know what you are thinking in terms of a bed frame, colors, and storage.
September 30, 2012 at 1:05PM   
dorky0421
I'd like to have a simple but elegant looking bedroom that would accommodate my husbands computer table on the right side of the room which is not shown in the picture..he has a glass desk for his computer and printer.i also want to have a mini chandelier ..thanks..
September 30, 2012 at 1:24PM   
llfrederick55
Have you thought about a Murphy bed? You can find them or make one yourself. The bed,( do you need a twin or full?) would fold up horizontally or vertically then you still have your space during the day. Ikea has nice wardrobes if you have the ceiling height. What is your personal style? Have you looked in an Restore? Habitat for Humanity benefits from other peoples donations and you can too. Only bring in things that you love and Relax check out Houzz and Pinterest I have faith you can get it right, if you trust your heart.
September 30, 2012 at 2:01PM   
nasmijati
dorky0421, take a look at the following site:

www.ehow.com/how_12059218_make-small-bedroom-look-elegant.html
September 30, 2012 at 2:42PM   
mrstinylady
How about this?
October 1, 2012 at 11:38AM   
nasmijati
mrstinylady, This is a very good bed frame with drawers underneath! I hope dorky0421 can find one like this to buy.
October 1, 2012 at 1:03PM   
mccutcheon1
These drawer beds do look very tidy, but the storage underneath is limited to the drawer size. a regular bed on risers gives you storage space the full,size of the bed. And a regular full bed, second hand, that takes laundry baskets and other containers would be cheaper.
Here are a couple on eBay, both are around $100 (for local pick up). http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251160734249&globalID=EBAY-US http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=400321477588&globalID=EBAY-US

Look at chandeliers in the mini category at lampsplus.com. Some are modern, some small enough to go on your ceiling, some that will have to go on swags over a piece of furniture because they will hang pretty low.
October 2, 2012 at 8:57AM   
mrstinylady
Here's another pix.
November 24, 2012 at 7:08PM   
Need help with exterior colors!
The house itself is a simple country cottage. The...
Choosing A Dining Room Table
I have a 1923 small bungalow. I like mission style....
Playroom paint
We are turning a media room into a kid playroom. I...
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...
Ideas for living room with chocolate brown couch
I'm looking for some ideas for my new living room....