Can you help me decorate my mantle?
mllucas99
I need help with my mantle. So far I only have one 36" vase on it. Due to the 20' walls,I feel it needs tall accessories. I am going for a more transitional or modern look in the room. Any suggestions would help. Thx!
patriciarhall
do u mean that the wall height is 20 ft? Would help to have pics of the other walls in the room.
September 26, 2012 at 6:54AM   
roxxyroller
Hi!
Love your fireplace and windows on either side!
I'm kind of seeing that you have a lot of 'tall,rectangle' things going on here(the picture above fireplace,the windows-all same shape). Why not pull your chairs out a bit from the fireplace so we can see the whole beautiful thing,and add a small area rug in front. Both modern and inviting. (I know you didn't ask for that,I just get excited when I see something beautiful like this room!)
What if you removed the current picture and either replace it with an oval or round mirror(very modern and breaks up the 'rectangle' effect.) I'd even go one step further and not actually put it on the wall,but prop it up on the mantle. In keeping with that super awesome vase,maybe add a few more in same tones,but different heights,then maybe layer a few frames(doesn't even have to be pictures,cud be prints,or fabric to add a punch of color-hey! It could even become an accent color here and there throughout the room!) Then to add a bit of all kinds of elements,maybe a plant or flower,just something small but noticeable. I'm also always a fan of candles-even in front of the fireplace when not in use! There are so many cool things out there to try! I hope we get to see what you decide on!
September 26, 2012 at 7:01AM   
michigammemom
I actually think your tall vase is overscaled for the size of your fireplace and mantle. The lovely vertical painting is fine. Your soaring ceilings are an architectural feature in themselves and do not need further adornment.
September 26, 2012 at 7:13AM   
roxxyroller
If you are in agreement that the vase is the issue,maybe you could use it down low,in front of fireplace?
September 26, 2012 at 7:16AM   
roxxyroller
September 26, 2012 at 7:16AM   
] This is a pretty example of a mantle similar to yours, that can be changed with seasonal colors.
September 26, 2012 at 7:37AM     
I like the picture over the mantel tho I would be inclined to paint the frame black. If the 20' walls bother you, you could paint them dark gray above the 12' mark. That will make them visually disappear.
September 26, 2012 at 7:45AM     
Jamieson
HI there! I'd suggest deciding upon window coverings before accessorizing your mantle. Did you have any ideas thus far? For my two cents I'd definitely remove the venetian blinds as they are neither traditional or modern. Think I'd be tempted to go a subdued color with clean lines and hardware similar to this Heavy Linen Grommet Panels An area rug under your chairs to ground them and add some interest to your hearth may be all you need Williams-Sonoma Home | Cotton Bound Flatweave Sisal Rug Good luck and keep us posted!
September 26, 2012 at 8:05AM   
Fabiola
A s you have so many sharp angle in the room ,why not using some curves to soften it and make it cozy. like couple round and curvy vases ( in different sizes but not as tall as what you have now). If you want to you can hang a round mirror instead of that huge painting as well. Some sheer curtain make the room cozier and beautiful. Hope that helps.
September 26, 2012 at 8:48AM   
mllucas99
Thank you all for your comments. You gave me so much to think about. This is my Family room and I am completely redecorating except for the existing wall color. I like the idea of the round mirror. I had not thought of that but I just purchased the picture. The drapery I have in mind is stripes running horizontally in linen like fabrics in shades that compliment the pic. I will have those custom made. I was planning on changing the blinds out as well. I used to have smaller scale vases on the mantle but was told my various friends the scale was too small and they were approx 20" tall. The vase you see is actually 36". I am thinking once I get the drapery up the existing vase won't seem so large. I can always take it down but the colors of the shells on the vase work very well with the picture, at least in person. I agree that I need some shape to whatever goes up there. I will check and see if I have a picture of the tv wall. I just got the two leather chairs and the two sofas have not come in yet. they are a linen like grey/beige. I still need to buy a rug, ottoman or coffee table and a couple side tables. I have so much left to do! Keep the ideas coming. Thanks
September 26, 2012 at 4:10PM   
karen paul interiors
It appears your chairs are close in because of your need for room to pass through on the right of the one chair. So, you are doing the best you can with the space. I wouldn't make more purchases or any more decisions regarding the fireplace wall until you get all your furnishings in place, including your window treatments. When a room is only partially finished it's so very easy to second guess ourselves. As for the vase height, it may well be too tall but I am struck at how it overwhelms the fireplace and is not being a good soul mate to your recently purchased painting. The idea of a horizontal stripe for your windows given the height of the room should be a great choice. You might want to take a picture of your fabric and post it?
September 26, 2012 at 4:44PM     
Help me decorate my mantle
I just had my home painted and now I need help with...
Can you help me decorate my master bathroom?
Need to decorate (not remodel) my new master bathroom....
Hi can you please help me decorate my living room and the fireplace
Can you please give me ideas about what furniture should...
I need help decorating my mantle
We have a ten foot mantle which is super long and I...
i don't like the beams
we just bought a new house and are currently doing...
Need help with designing kitchen lighting plan
I"m renovating my existing kitchen and need advice...
Where can I find clean modern/contemporary baseboards and door trim?
I have been looking for simple clean baseboards like...
Picking kitchen counters
We have an existing granite island we don't want to...
What to do with these kitchen cabinets!?
First off, they're laminate. It's not ideal but I have...