Teenage Nightmare has to go!!!
nancy612
This room is to undergo a transformation from teenager bedroom to legit guest room The ceiling will stay a light color and the walls and trim will be in varying shades of blue/greens and gray, although not too dark of a gray and not too blue in the blue/green. The bed will be an antique french provencial-ish wrap around headboard painted (not the standard gold and white it is now, but fun) with a tufted fabric inset. I haven't picked out the fabric yet, but I will let the "print" in the room be this fabric. Footboard is lower, but has the same round feel. I think this bed will help round out some sharp angles. The light fixture pictured will go on the walls left and right of the bed, where some cheap candlestick type lights are now. They are hard to see because of all of the posters on the wall. The wooden primitive piece in front of one of the closet doors is just being stored there until my sale, as is the flat box leaning against existing bed. The desk under the windows overlooking the courtyard will go as well as the small bookcase and perhaps even the vanity. I'm stuck on ceiling lights in this room. I need a pendant with a very, very low hang so the closet door will open and preferably two at each ceiling box hanging at different heights. I cannot hang lights from the middle of the ceiling as this contains duct work. In the matching room across the hall, I have made pendant lights from antique mason jars, but am hesitant to do so here because of the style of the bedside sconces. This was originally a sleeping loft in an old country farmhouse, divided for additional bedrooms and a small bath. The carpet will be cleaned, but not replaced. It is a commercial style with purple-ish, green and an almost light lavender wool.
So, back to those light fixtures, the room needs the light, cannot use any cans, not enough space between ceiling and roof. This is an eclectic house of a 1910 wooden farm house joined by a vaulted space to an 1820 log cabin and a modified old smoke house. All decor and modifications have been carefully done to retain historic status. Clearly this space was left for teenage taste. Help, help!!
nancy612
forgot the light fixture, here it is
September 26, 2012 at 9:04am   
nancy612
forgot the light fixture, here it is
September 26, 2012 at 9:05am   
meganmeder
What is the finish on the sconces you're adding? Budget?
September 26, 2012 at 9:10am   
meganmeder
Nancy – Were you thinking of using hanging fixtures because of the slight slope in the ceiling? I would recommend using two flushmounts instead that coordinate with your new sconces and aesthetically go with the design period it sounds like you’re trying to achieve. These ones would be great, and would not distract from that bed wall, which should be the focus when your guest comes into the room. It doesn’t look like the location of the lights would be centered to the bed/room which might feel odd if you go with hanging fixtures instead.
Also it might be a great idea to layer a soft wool rug in a neutral color underneath the bed, just to break up the carpet and again give the design more oomph for your guest!
September 26, 2012 at 9:26am     
nancy612
Oh, these are perfect. Who makes them, or where did you find them? Can I order them on line? You just solved the whole problem if these fixtures are not over 11" deep. I have tons of rugs made by ancestors and intend to use one that happens to be perfect under the bed. These lights are perfect as the finish on the sconces are an aged platinum.
September 26, 2012 at 9:39am   
nancy612
do I contact you to get info on these fixtures?
September 26, 2012 at 9:40am   
nancy612
The finish on the wall sconces is an aged platinum.
September 26, 2012 at 9:42am   
meganmeder
Absolutely!
megan@vividinteriordesign.com
September 26, 2012 at 10:09am   
meganmeder
5.25"deep, 11 inches around, polished nickel which will has a warm patina that will go very nicely with an aged platimun. Feel free to email me for pricing and availablilty:)
September 26, 2012 at 11:18am   
Teenage Nightmare has to go!!!
This room is to undergo a transformation from teenager...
Can these shades go on a double slider that has a transom
Double wide slider (4 panels) with a transom above...
Icky terra cotta tile has to go!
Need ideas on how to replace tile in kitchen in a very...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Please give advice on updating 1970's paneled den.
We need advice on wall color, replacing carpet with...
Tap water or bottled water?
When you're thirsty, what do you grab - the tap and...
Help! Small stunning one bedroom to be furnished!
Would appreciate suggestions and recommendations as...
Wallpaper
I love this scalloped wallpaper. Does anyone know the...