Teenage Nightmare has to go!!!

nancy612September 26, 2012
This room is to undergo a transformation from teenager bedroom to legit guest room The ceiling will stay a light color and the walls and trim will be in varying shades of blue/greens and gray, although not too dark of a gray and not too blue in the blue/green. The bed will be an antique french provencial-ish wrap around headboard painted (not the standard gold and white it is now, but fun) with a tufted fabric inset. I haven't picked out the fabric yet, but I will let the "print" in the room be this fabric. Footboard is lower, but has the same round feel. I think this bed will help round out some sharp angles. The light fixture pictured will go on the walls left and right of the bed, where some cheap candlestick type lights are now. They are hard to see because of all of the posters on the wall. The wooden primitive piece in front of one of the closet doors is just being stored there until my sale, as is the flat box leaning against existing bed. The desk under the windows overlooking the courtyard will go as well as the small bookcase and perhaps even the vanity. I'm stuck on ceiling lights in this room. I need a pendant with a very, very low hang so the closet door will open and preferably two at each ceiling box hanging at different heights. I cannot hang lights from the middle of the ceiling as this contains duct work. In the matching room across the hall, I have made pendant lights from antique mason jars, but am hesitant to do so here because of the style of the bedside sconces. This was originally a sleeping loft in an old country farmhouse, divided for additional bedrooms and a small bath. The carpet will be cleaned, but not replaced. It is a commercial style with purple-ish, green and an almost light lavender wool.
So, back to those light fixtures, the room needs the light, cannot use any cans, not enough space between ceiling and roof. This is an eclectic house of a 1910 wooden farm house joined by a vaulted space to an 1820 log cabin and a modified old smoke house. All decor and modifications have been carefully done to retain historic status. Clearly this space was left for teenage taste. Help, help!!
nancy612
forgot the light fixture, here it is
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:04AM
nancy612
forgot the light fixture, here it is
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:05AM
meganjacksonmeder
What is the finish on the sconces you're adding? Budget?
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:10AM
meganjacksonmeder
Nancy – Were you thinking of using hanging fixtures because of the slight slope in the ceiling? I would recommend using two flushmounts instead that coordinate with your new sconces and aesthetically go with the design period it sounds like you’re trying to achieve. These ones would be great, and would not distract from that bed wall, which should be the focus when your guest comes into the room. It doesn’t look like the location of the lights would be centered to the bed/room which might feel odd if you go with hanging fixtures instead.
Also it might be a great idea to layer a soft wool rug in a neutral color underneath the bed, just to break up the carpet and again give the design more oomph for your guest!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:26AM
nancy612
Oh, these are perfect. Who makes them, or where did you find them? Can I order them on line? You just solved the whole problem if these fixtures are not over 11" deep. I have tons of rugs made by ancestors and intend to use one that happens to be perfect under the bed. These lights are perfect as the finish on the sconces are an aged platinum.
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:39AM
nancy612
do I contact you to get info on these fixtures?
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:40AM
nancy612
The finish on the wall sconces is an aged platinum.
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:42AM
meganjacksonmeder
Absolutely!
megan@vividinteriordesign.com
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:09AM
meganjacksonmeder
5.25"deep, 11 inches around, polished nickel which will has a warm patina that will go very nicely with an aged platimun. Feel free to email me for pricing and availablilty:)
    Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 11:18AM
Teenage girl bedroom
My teenage daughter is going to have this room in our...
billy_bob_thornton
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Pantry nightmare...
My pantry is built like a small closet. You open a...
2012lori
Teenage daughter's room dilemma
Need decorating advice! My 16 year-old daughter picked...
msabell
Need help for my teen-age daughter's bedroom.
My daughter's room has newly painted icy pink walls...
susanlepley
Mohawk Engineered Wood Floors...
Does anyone have any experience with Mohawk engineered...
mark617
Help me select paint colors and bedding for my bedroom
I need help in picking wall color and coordinating...
pracheeti
Help me choose window coverings for my new kitchen.
I have two large windows, one over the sink and the...
Terri
If Only I could blow this master bath up and start over. Help!
Wow, do I need help. Our house is going on the market...
sandnsyntax
Front door color
Would like to paint the front entrance black but have...
berniemt