Updating our bathroom that was stuck in the '60s
Steve Uselton
September 26, 2012 in Before & After
Our bathroom was stuck in the 60s. With pink and mauve tiles, wood paneling, yellow tub, sink and toilet, it needed a major over haul. My wife wanted a "beachy" bathroom so thats what we went for. We didn't have money to replace the wood paneling so we just spackle and joint compound to give the wall a textured look. Also to save money we painted the tile around the tub instead of replacing it and the vanity. We got a lot of our materials from our local Habitat For Humanity ReStore (floor tile, vanity top, door pulls and knobs). Our big splurge was the mosaic backsplash.
armarcounselling
Looks great. Oh those pink tiles bring back memories. We had the lilac ones in our old bathroom.
October 3, 2012 at 5:41PM   
Wow, nice job! Way better than the pink tiles!
October 3, 2012 at 5:56PM   
melibd
Congrats!
October 3, 2012 at 6:58PM   
cypress
Looks Great! What a difference!
October 3, 2012 at 8:39PM   
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi Steve Uselton, I hate to be a party pooper, but I'm not a big fan of band-aiding bathrooms. Too many hidden problems behind all that paint and spackle. If your asking for design advice, which is what this forum is for - I would have persuaded you to save your paint and spackle money and then replace all of it with brand new when you could afford to do it right.

Old bathrooms are breeding grounds for mould, mildew - hidden plumbing and electrical problems. In my line of work - we always rip down to the studs or we don't touch it at all.

Here's to hoping you and your family will be safe - with no issues lurking behind those old walls!
October 3, 2012 at 9:55PM   
M&R
it looks great! Fresh and clean. I like your choice of tile, very pretty.

Not to be contrary to the above poster, but I thought this before and after section is for posting our projects as well.

While a complete tear down is often the best route to take, many people simply do not have the budget to do so. In that instance, refreshing what is already there, and does not seem to be problematic seems sensible. When the budget allows, then it's time to pull out the tub/tile. Until that time, the OP has a much nicer bathroom. Just my .02
October 4, 2012 at 1:21PM     
Jess @ homevolution
What a difference! Great job! What a huge improvement on a tight budget. Looks very fresh & clean, and I like the backsplash.

I agree with M&R's points above. What else would the 'Before & After' section of the discussion boards be for, other than to show off your before & after photos? Design advice goes in the 'Design Dilemma' section - not here, where people are describing projects that are already complete...
October 4, 2012 at 5:53PM     
My bathroom is stuck in the 60's!
My bathroom still has the gray and black 60's PLASTIC...
Help! Bathroom stuck in the 60s!
The bathroom is original in our house. Wood paneling,...
My bathroom is stuck in the 60's!
My bathroom is stuck in the 60's! The floor, toilet...
Help, our 60's living area needs an update.
We do not know what to do about our 60's den. My husband...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
This dining room is holding me hostage ...
... I can't walk by this room without stopping to stare...
Please help me with this console table decor
The mirror and table have to stay. Everything else...
Reimagining Antiques: Why Not Antiques in Modern Design?
Almost 20 years ago we opened our shop, Antique & Art...
Need Help Redecorating my den/library, HELP!
My home is an English Tudor from the 1930ies, I am...