Artificial boxwood plants
Geranium Street Floral
September 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Is it beneficial to go with artificial plants over live plants with these heat waves?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
nasmijati
The heat and drought we have been enduring having certainly raises this question.

I would investigate plants native to your geographical region. They should not need additional water (or not much) once they are established. Boxwood plants may not be native to your region. Do you like them because they are a dense bush for privacy or borders? Think of another way you can accomplish your goal with native low-water use plants.

When thinking about artificial plants, consider how much petroleum product was needed to make them, and how much outgassing they make. When you are finished with them, they cannot be burned without releasing toxic fumes and have to go in a landfill instead.

That said, I sometimes go to the Clearance Building at Goodwill for autumn wreaths, fake pine wreaths/trees, and artificial flowers for all seasons. The Clearance is not the same as the Retail Store. Everything is dumped in 4' by 4' x 3' high bins. Kinda like dumpster diving, and everything is 40 cents per pound. You never know what will be available on any given day at the Clearance. Sometimes it is suitcases, or baskets, or fake flowers, or sporting equipment, or.... About a month after a major holiday, major retail chain stores drop their excess decoration inventory at Goodwill. You can find new decor, still in the original box, unused! When you are finished with whatever fake flowers you have plunked in the garden for that month, pull them out, rinse off the dirt, let them dry, and return them to the Goodwill Donation section! You would be surprised at how many people augment their gardens with blooms in this way. If you do it well, no one will ever guess.
September 26, 2012 at 12:34pm