Need help with paint for ranch house
carrisa
please give me suggestions for paint. no greens ....neighbor is already green. I like the color mesa tan by sherwin-williams and we want to stain the brick a contrast color with a product by H&C at Sherwin Williams. We are open to just about anything.

Leave the brick alonr and bring that tone right up to the roof. Do similar colors on the front door and garage. No shutters.
1 Like   September 26, 2012 at 6:46PM
houssaon
I agree with Judyg, leave the brick alone. Your house would look great in a warm greyed tan.
   September 26, 2012 at 7:09PM
causey2324
Let me find some pics of the colors I would use.....and I guess I am in the minority....I just LOVE painted brick!! I have painted the last couple of homes I lived in and people have raved....just sayin'!!
   September 26, 2012 at 7:38PM
causey2324
So far, this is what I have found. I had to keep the color of your roof in mind, as you don't want anything that will not compliment it. If you decide you like the color palate...let me know and I will help you in selecting the colors and finding more pics with this color combination. Hope I have helped.....Good luck in your project! Enjoy!!! Decorating is my heart!!!
1 Like   September 26, 2012 at 8:55PM
carrisa
Hi Causey, I like your color choices. So are you saying I should paint the brick the same color as the body of the house? What about the trim should I paint that another color? I was thinking of painting the bump out window another compliment color and what color should the garage be? Hope you can tell I need your help. You are awesome .
   September 27, 2012 at 7:08PM
HI- You can paint the brick or not . I think the whole house and garage doors would look good in Manchester Tan by Benjamin Moore paints ,then have a rich color for the front door. I like the look of the roof trim being the color of the roof.Then the shutters can be a blackish brown like" Willow" by BM.
   September 27, 2012 at 7:42PM
Taylor Horton
You may also want to consider having your door stand out- like a nice natural wood. Food for thought :)
   September 27, 2012 at 7:45PM
anitajoyce
Green would have been my first choice for your house. I think the tan color you like would look nice on your house. Paint the brick in a darker shade of the house color.
   September 27, 2012 at 8:01PM
carrisa
Thank you all for the advise. I'm getting a little nervous because the painters are coming on Monday and I haven't committed to my colors. I like the ideal of the trim being close to the color of the roof though. Do you think if I painted the gables white just at the top and did the trim in white and painted the garage white with black wrought iron handles . I would paint the shutters black. Withe the body and the brick in a tan color.
   September 27, 2012 at 8:14PM
causey2324
Carrisa...I would definitely paint the whole body the same color. Unless u have major money for this project and can purchase a beautiful stone like the first pic you received....then u should have the brick the same color to take attention AWAY from it ...no offense...just not a great brick. The trim should be painted a light color..I like a white. The shutters would be very classy in black (just trust me) and the door should be a different rich color. My suggestion is a deep red...I will work on this in a little bit. I am an RN but was a decorator and that is where my heart is....Good luck and I will get back to u if u r interested in what I have proposed. God Bless!
   September 29, 2012 at 2:00AM
lucindalane
This is a great article that Houzz published a few weeks ago. It gives some great advice, and points out some very important things that one needs to determine before painting brick. Another option, which I think is pointed out by a professional person in the article, is staining brick.
Ideabook: What You Need to Know Before Painting Brick

The colors you mentioned sound like they will look nice
Here's a nice combination of colors, IMO. This shows that a red door can really stand out, and in a good way.
Decatur Bungalow Remodel
Also, this is a great example of a similar bay window "bump out," and I also think the colors here are great, though I know you said you didn't want any green on your house.
Conard Romano Architects
Another color option for you would be to paint the body of the house the tan, and the trim a cream color in a matching tone, and then paint the door a slate blue. That door color would probably help bring out your brick, if you leave the shade that it appears to be-at least to my eyeballs-at the present time.
I think your house is very charming-it has some great architectural features, so have fun making it your own. :)
   September 29, 2012 at 3:09AM
causey2324
I would paint ALL the body and the area under the gables in the same tan color. I would paint a lighter color (white or off white) on the trim and on the bump out. I would paint the shutters black and paint the front door in a rich deep red. I would paint the garage door either the tan color or black... definitely not white. let me research some more for specific colors.
   September 29, 2012 at 12:22PM
causey2324
Carissa, I am so excited to see the colors you chose and view the "after" pics. Please post asap. Whatever changes you made I know will look great. God Bless !
   October 10, 2012 at 6:51PM
Need help with exterior paint colors for 60's ranch house
Ok, we are at our wit's end. Painters arrive in a week...
Need help with house paint color, updating our 50's ranch.
Purchased this 1950's ranch recently. House had a...
Need help with this 1970s ranch style house
We have done a lot of work on the inside of our home,...
Need help freshening up the front of a ranch house
We would like to put ledgestone from StoneCraft industries...
Need help on long narrow living room ranch house
Do you have ideas on coffee table. I have two ottomans...
Where are ideabooks ?!
No likee this new look. Go back please. I will not...
Ikea "Ingmarie" curtains?
Hi, this is a trivial question... I would like to change...
replace my boiler in 1 family house
I need a good experienced plumber. Englewood NJ
Please help me design my living room.
I am attempting to plan a remodel of my living room...
Help with bath/dressing area
Rather small bath with tub, shower, and toilet in a...