white versus oak baseboards and everything else
bvbellomo
I was in the middle of renovating my house, met a girl, and got engaged. We will be married in May and will both live in my house then if not sooner, but might stay there for years, or put it up for sale right away.

I tore out the boardboards, which were not in good shape, to refinish the hardwood floors (more than half the house). I took her to a lumber yard to look at baseboards, thinking we’d get white ones similar to the old ones, and needed to decide thin versus thick, colonial versus modern, etc. She got stuck on the idea of solid oak baseboards stained to match the floors.

I am starting to like the idea of solid oak baseboards too, which I can buy surprisingly cheaply. I’d need to replace the interior doors and trim around them (which is white), which is expensive but I don’t mind since they are in bad shape. However I already put in new closet doors (painted white). I also already bought white metal vent covers for my forced air heating ducts. The duct covers are cheap, but I think the wood ones look bad. I have to live with white windows, as I am not replacing the windows. I fear if I use too much stained oak, everything looks like a tree house or log cabin.

So do I mix oak and white or do everything with white? If I mix oak and white, what do I need to tear out?
HI -- You can still have all the white and just have the oak baseboards. If you finish the ends of the base boards at the door frames with a picture frame corner instead of butting up to it. Then it will look seperate from all the white.
September 27, 2012 at 6:30PM   
I agree as long as you use the same material for each building item it will be fine.
September 27, 2012 at 6:34PM   
nasmijati
Lefty47, when you say picture frame corner, do you mean mitered? Is there a photo I can look at? I'm learning as I read through different discussions. Thanks. tipi
September 29, 2012 at 2:18PM   
have less than 24 hours Please Help!!!
I bought this bench at a consignment shop and I need...
I need sofa and other design ideas for this BORING living room!
My boyfriend and I have a newly purchased Brownstone...
Need help with a contemporary remodel of this fireplace.
I am redoing my condo going contemporary.. What can...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
New bathroom - what would you do
hello, ready to start bathroom but I am at a loss...