Need help choosing dining chairs
Samphy E.
We just bought a beautiful dining table and can't decide between a white or off-white parsons fabric or leather chairs. It's a distressed barnyard type table from Pottery Barn and we wanted to soften it up with a contemporary look, and not modern. My fear is that the leather..and mostly white leather would clash with the table? But I do want leather since it would be easier to clean?

Also, the room is pretty small but seems like it is lacking something. Is it too small of a space to put a little bar cabinet in the corner? Or would a plant be more suitable?
Hi there, I love that table, but it looks like it might be a bit tight in there when the chairs arrive. Does it work lengthwise as well? Does that give you more room?
September 27, 2012 at 3:57pm     
Samphy E.
Lengthwise wouldn't work. It would look awkward in the space. We knew the table would be a little big but we wanted to make sure that we could fit at least 8 for dinner parties. This is the extension table and actually fits 12!
September 27, 2012 at 4:02pm     
For everyday seating, can you get away with using only 4 chairs? Since the space is tight I wouldn't put any chairs on the ends, just 2 and 2 on the long sides. I have a similar table, and when we have more than 4 people I also have a bench (no arms, just a bench) that I use on the long side and it works great.

For the leather I would follow the color of the walls. If you get a bench, you could also easily upholster it, too.

Any chance it would work diagonally? You might be able to seat 6 that way.
September 27, 2012 at 4:07pm   
I think white leather would be perfect. nailhead detail would be nice as well to complement the rustic vibe of the table. Check these out. I think because the room is tight, only chairs on the sides when not entertaining would give walkthrough space on the ends.

September 27, 2012 at 4:08pm   
ekonar
You might be able to use these chairs http://bit.ly/VQHW8z from room and board. Here's what they look like with a table like the one you've purchased bit.ly/H1WnPu Or this: http://bit.ly/QXWFva These are a bit more traditional and offer softer seating http://bit.ly/S3SYc0
September 27, 2012 at 4:09pm     
debjl
Great table - lots of possibilities!

I think a bench along one side would look great, take up less space than having all chairs and give a contemporary look.

I was recently admiring the Streamline Stripe dining chair at Sundance, I think they would look great and bring out the colors in your art. Otherwise I think a wheat, beige colored leather parsons chairs would look great - or perhaps you could get them covered in an outdoor fabric for easy care.
September 27, 2012 at 4:19pm     
debjl, outdoor fabric, great idea!
September 27, 2012 at 4:21pm   
lionnessone
Have you thought about an L shape bench style seating with four modern chairs? I think you will have more room within your dining room for a corner bar or a buffet in front of the window. Build the L shape seating on the wall where your painting is and tuck your table in that area. Choose small modern chairs (see photos). On the shelves you can place two beautiful but very tall vases, or plants. This is the only solution I can think of. Have a great time looking for your chairs!

[houzz=Natural Modern Dining Space][houzz=Willow Glen Residence][houzz=][houzz=Larkin Street Residence][houzz=Breakfast Area]
September 27, 2012 at 4:36pm   
ckahaly
For your chair dilemma..... I am actually eye-ing up the very same table for our house!...and am thinking of doing the white upholstered chairs with nailhead detail for the ends and something a little more casual for the longer sides. We might test out what we have now, which is a rattan with cushion. So all chairs would have cushion. The bench seating is nice too - but then your guests won't have backs and I wonder about that for longer dinner parties.
Maybe also consider banquet seating for the corner as a space saver?

For your what else is missing dilemma..... perhaps add an over-sized mirror that leans against the wall (on the wall where you have your picture right now). And on the opposite wall where the opening is, you can consider two smaller cabinets for storage of wine glasses and dishes (roughly 3 feet high to fit the space). Good luck and have fun!
September 27, 2012 at 4:37pm     
Walter Comstock
How about leather chairs on each end and benches on each side, that would give you the look you want and not over power the small room. Someone worried about guests not having backs, there are benches with low backs. Get a nice bulky wood and glass lamp for over the table and lower it. Use a plant all rooms need something alive in them.
September 27, 2012 at 5:14pm     
Samphy E.
Thank you for all your suggestions. I have a lot of trial and error to do! Ill let you all know how it turns out!
September 28, 2012 at 9:35am   
Samphy E.
Thanks for all your help, here's the after! Still going to add a few more touches...
January 13, 2013 at 9:11pm     
ekonar
CONGRATS Looks lovely!
January 13, 2013 at 10:27pm     
ExclusiveMod Furniture
It's turning out very lovely!
May 13, 2014 at 9:50am   
Need help choosing new upholstery for dining chairs
My rug is an oriental with tones of red (rose), blue,...
Need help in furniture placement and choosing dining chairs
I want to try to use my old sofa and love seat in my...
Need help choosing fabric/color of dining chairs
We will be recovering these chairs; they are microfiber...
Need help choosing dining chairs for my table.
I just purchased a 72" round dining table and now I...
saving money on painting work
We are considering remodeling a 1929 Tudor house and...
White painted kitchen needs a redo, help!
I need to know what the best paint type and finish...
An odd place for an ugly door, how can I camouflage it?
This door in my master leads onto the hot tub deck,...
Help with furniture layout
What is the best way of getting help with how to lay...
Boring basic builder kitchen--paint or stain cabs?
We have a perfectly decent builder grade kitchen that...