Bathroom of 7' X 7'
sue1starbright
I recently installed a lovely bathfitters tub, new pella window and am now trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the bathroom. The house is over 50 years old and I plan to be here 5-8 years and want to
update the rest of the room - flooring, light fixtures, and see if I can work around the remaining pink/black tile. I'd like to keep the rest of the innovations at a moderate budget since the next owner may want to do something different.
houssaon
I love the pink and black tile.

See if you get a better sconce, like these Raised Ranch Retrofit

A smaller version of this vanity would be perfect for your bathroom and a black and white tile floor will complete the look: east lake
September 28, 2012 at 10:32AM   
HI -- I can assure you that the next owners will probably gut the bathroom. They way it is now does not really appeal to most people. I grew up in a 50's house but the tiles where grey with black plastic. I agree with houssaon , you need a long narrow light fixture . Change or paint the vanity and add a new top , one piece sink/counter in white sink and black counter with chrome taps. Continue the glossy black to the window frame and add a frosting on the glass. Or add a roman shade with a pattern that has black in it . For a wall color use a medium grey. Then have a bit of grey in the flooring which could be a grey and white marble mosaic tile either squares or hex style. If you check the discount room at the tile shops you can get marble at a good savings.
September 28, 2012 at 10:56AM   
Elise
You can paint tile with an epoxy paint that will adhere after cleaning and light sanding. Even though I enjoy the pink, I would recommend painting over it and changing to a neutral color, white or tans and then replace your vanity and mirror cabinet, with something updated in black or dark woods (ebony). Not too expensive either.
http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Brock_Vanity/210/
http://www.lowes.com/pd_339397-54446-72538_4294737232__?productId=3319836&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbzar/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&
September 28, 2012 at 11:53AM   
sue1starbright
Perfect suggestion for the sconce. I'm also appreciating the suggestions for the vanity and respective websites. This project finally will have some forward momentum....
September 28, 2012 at 12:26PM   
Reader Area Development, Inc.
If you are going to be there for 5-8 years, that is about how long the average homeowner stays in a home. While you want to be budget friendly, also remember that bathrooms help sell homes. What you may save in a quick fix could cost you in the long run.

You know you don't want the tile and you know the next homeowner doesn't want it. Take the time and rip it down. If the walls are salvageable, sand and paint. Otherwise new drywall is fairly inexpensive for that size of room. Light gray, blue, green, or white are great for bathrooms.

Starting with the floor I'd look at white hexagon tile or a light gray tile. This will keep things from being to heavy in a small space.

Depending on storage needs you could do a white pedestal sink. You could also keep the current vanity but replace the faucet and handles, then paint it a white or another color. Chrome sconces on either side of a new oval mirror. You'll of course need a new towel bar, again I suggest chrome. Lastly, replace the window covering with a darker wooden shade.

All in all you could get away with spending $500-$750 from Lowe's/Home Depot, have a bathroom you like, and one that doesn't hurt your resale value.
September 28, 2012 at 12:30PM   
sue1starbright
I neglected to mention that the pella window has a venetian blind between the glass. I intentionally keep that shade up during the day to let the light in and close when needed.
Do you know, as a general rule, that contractors would be willing to remove tile after an acrylic bath had been installed? Is it possible to remove tile safely and not scratch/dent the tub installation?
September 28, 2012 at 12:46PM   
Reader Area Development, Inc.
You'd be amazed at what contractors would be willing to do... (lol) It is possible, but obviously much caution would be needed to protect your most recent investment. Cover the tub with as much as you can to protect it from dents, dings, scratches or flying debris.

As someone who has dealt with living in their fair share of homes with small bathrooms, less is always more. From fabric to structure.
September 28, 2012 at 1:02PM   
Linda
The time for gutting the bathroom was before the new tub went in. Now that is complete, I would keep the pink tile and play up the vintage look. If you are going to be there at least 5 years, I wouldn't plan on using today's bathroom trends to sell a house 5-10 years from now. I don't have much experience with the acrylic tub liners, but I would wonder whether it will still look new by the time you want to sell the house. If you hate the pink tile, paint it. If you like it, play it up. Don't do anything expensive or too funky, but keep the vintage look if YOU like it and don't worry about the resale value. There will always be people telling you to take it out, but there are also buyers who like the original features.

Does the pink tile go behind the vanity? If so, I would look at replacing the vanity with a gloss black pedestal sink, if you have a linen closet for some storage.Or, perhaps a modern furniture style vanity in black. Another idea would be a white vanity with a black granite top. I would use chrome vintage look, maybe an Art Deco style, long narrow wall sconces along the mirror.

For the floor I would use a small white tile with a narrow strip of glossy black tile around the perimeter, either right at the wall or use 2x2 white tile one row wide around the edge and run the black strip next to that and then fill in the middle with field tile.
September 28, 2012 at 6:32PM     
sue1starbright
Linda, I love the idea of the floor design. All of these replies have been VERY helpful.

FYI, the acrylic tub liners retain their new look after ten years if maintained properly.
September 29, 2012 at 8:27PM     
bprince300
Your tile looks like its in perfect condition and just gleams ! Not usually my style at all, but I like it ! Linda's black and white floor tile suggestion is ideal and since the room is small, consider doing the field tile on the diagonal vs perpendicular grid. It will help the room appear larger. Check out Art Deco style to get some ideas for a fabric valance, but I think, bolder, solid colors, banded, perhaps the pink, wine and black with a dramatic chandelier and the black pedestal sink idea. Some kind of black frame around the med cabinet or just a framed mirror instead. Add some streamlined looking Art Deco period art too. It makes me think, roaring 20's, the Charleston, beads and fringes : ) ........
September 29, 2012 at 8:51PM   
lmolen
Black and white damask print wallpaper in the new oversized repeat. White spa towels and keep as simple as possible. I'd love the pink now. Paint if you need to sell. Enjoy it, don't live for resale.
October 7, 2012 at 8:57AM     
Natalie
Hi---I like the pink-trust me, I've seen worse. I think you should make the most of it... Here's some ideas. Good luck!
[houzz=Oyster Shell Mirror][houzz=Indira Wallpaper by Clarke & Clarke][houzz=Shaded Chandelier Sconce][houzz=Traditional Bathroom Tile][houzz=Hammam Hand Towel]
October 7, 2012 at 9:17AM   
lessismoore

True, this is green and black but I love the deco tile styles in almost any color.
October 7, 2012 at 9:22AM   
What is the totel layout of this bathroom example---7x7 or7x10 ?
I love this room. I have a unfinished room in my house...
7' 7" x 8' bathroom
Trying to find a free online bathroom layout tool any...
Very small bathroom.. My bathroom is a 7 x 6 1/8
I dont know how to post pictures but I have 1 bathroom...
Layout for 11 x 7.5 Bathroom?
Any ideas for a layout for this bathroom? House is...
flooring
wire-scraped Kilimanjaro
Plaster or Drywall
A fire damaged the second floor of my 1903 home. All...
color of knobs
I have off white kitchen cabinets with brass knobs....
lighting for huge two story greatroom?
We are about to build a home with a huge two story...
drapes
How bad would drapes be that stopped right above a...