Area rugs
rainesa1
September 28, 2012 in Photo Questions
Where are these area rugs from?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Sheri Olson Architecture PLLC
These are pieces of a "contract" carpet (no longer available) that was edge bound by a local company. This is a great way to do custom area rugs without spending a lot of money.
October 26, 2012 at 8:03pm     
Nancie Vollmer
what is "contract" carpet
November 5, 2012 at 9:10am   
PRO
Sorry about using archi-speak! Contract carpeting is usually used in commercial projects like office buildings, hotels and retail. It's made to stand up in high traffic spaces. You can find it by searching for "commercial floor covering" in your area (in Seattle I use Rubensteins.com). Ask them if they sell to the general public, if not you may need an architect or a contractor help you purchase it.

I then have a good quality carpet cleaning company (such as DA Burns in Seattle) pick up the carpet from the carpet company, cut it to the exact dimensions I need and then edge bind it. Sometimes I use a cotton binding and other times I've used leather. There is a wide range of cotton binding colors.

This may sound like a hassle but you can get a unique rug that is the exact size you need and for less than having a custom rug woven.
November 5, 2012 at 11:53am     
Nancie Vollmer
i have a god awful saltillo floor and i have my home office that has been left undone for 2 years I can't figure out how to get more storage, arrange a desk in it, color etc... i love your style
November 5, 2012 at 8:43pm   
PRO
Thanks, Nancy! Binding a piece of very low pile carpet might be a good solution for your office floor. I usually hold it back at least 12 inches from the wall and keep it in a simple rectangle. Depending on you storage needs in your office my go to places are Kartell (for modern pieces on wheels) , CB2 (the TPS file cabinet) and then West Elm or IKEA for simple white shelves. I also buy white stacking wood bins from the Container Store to keep projects easily available on shelves but organized. A good light is essential and I just bought classic clamp on Luxo lamps for my office. Let me know if you have more questions.
November 30, 2012 at 2:15pm