Please give ideas for shutter co;our on my cottage by the water.
eli0
September 30, 2012
The new siding is wood (Submarine Depth by Sico) and the roof is Driftwood. Is it OK to leave the front and rear verandas natural?
These don't look like the style of winderws you typically find shuttered, as they seem contemporary. I would skip shutters unless you have the kind of weather that requires battening down the hatches. In that case, you'll need some large enough to cover the windows and close them up. Consider Bermuda shutters, which will not need wall space on either side of the window. The house looks fine without shutters. Not crazy about the natural trim front and back. Weather again would determine my choice. Paint, stain and sealer would protect the wood from the kind of damage you might experience on the shore - is it a lake or ocean? Something to consider...
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 7:51AM
eli0
The house had shutters before and it gives it a certain charm. I'm thinking of Black Bean Soup by Ben Moore. It is near the ocean.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 9:28AM
silverscreenstar
Raspberry, perhaps?
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 10:26AM
monicadurant
Sorry, I agree I'm not sure how shutters would fit the right way with these windows. But a star might help create some interest.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 11:17AM
silverscreenstar
What ARE these stars? I have seen many on American homes but no one has ever told me what they signify. We are Canadian.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 12:20PM
houssaon
I don't think they signify anything. Just decoration. Could be, though, a reference to the stars in our flag or they could be something from Texas.

I agree that the shutters are not appropriate for the types of windows. I'd cut down the two bushed to a much smaller size so you could see your entry.

The deck and railings would last longer, if they were stained. If you are in the market to redo the front entrance, I think it would be much more inviting.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 12:34PM
Roots and Rafters
I'm not sure where you would actually put the shutters. The upper windows won't be able to have shutters on each side because of the roof line. The bottom windows won't be able to have shutters because of the electric meter on one side, and because the window is too close to the edge of the house on the other. I suppose you could put very small shutters on the windows on the porch, but if none of the other windows have shutters, it would look odd.

You could certainly re-paint the front door, if you wished. BM Black Bean Soup would be a nice color. Alternately, you could pick a navy like Stunning, Old Navy, or Hale Navy.

@silverscreenstar - The stars don't signify anything in particular, that I know of. Country-style homes will often have stars, or horseshoes, or suchlike on them simply as decoration. Of course, they might also be for luck, which is what the horseshoes would imply.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 12:45PM
silverscreenstar
Thank you, Jaden! I have always wanted to know but no one has ever been able to tell me.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 12:46PM
silverscreenstar
There is a BM color called "crushed berries" (number unknown), which I think would lovely on your home. This is the color I was thinking of when I suggested raspberry, earlier.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 12:55PM
eli0
The house colour is quite soft (the houzz photo brightened it) and appears green or blue depending on the light. The idea was to have a seashore feel since I am in the Gaspe peninsula (Canada) by the Atlantic. There is room for 12 in. shutters on all the windows although 9 inches is needed for the side near the electric meter and the side corner. The star idea is a definite no.
The "crushed berries" idea (I love that colour) is intriguing but I worry that the house would have a clownish look.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 1:06PM
silverscreenstar
No worries! I have very traditional taste. Ask at the BM paint store. The color of your siding is very similar to a color shown with the "crushed berries" shade in one of the BM decorating books. Besides, if you hate it, it's only a few bucks to change the color of your front door but I really don't think you're going to want to do that. I think you're going to love it!
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 1:17PM
eli0
I'm probably going to go with my original idea of Black Bean Soup shutters. I'm also hoping to give the front door more prominence somehow - side panels? and painting it a colour like crushed berries because the bushes in front of the house near the road are wild rose.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 4:54AM
eli0
    Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 4:54AM
silverscreenstar
Glad you like my colour choice of crushed berries for the front door. I am a bit concerned about adding a side panel (glass) beside the front door. My concern relates to home security. I know the Gaspe region a bit. It is somewhat remote. Thieves often smash these panels to gain entry to a residence because they can then reach around the door, open it from outside through the broken glass, flip the deadbolt, no key required, and they're in!
    Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 5:31AM
eli0
It wouldn`t be glass. And besides, I have a security system of course. Thanks.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 6:05AM
Shutters, door, and porch: Need suggestions, please!
Hello. I've been lurking for a while, but this is my...
onetrickpony
Can we make our ranch-style house more charming and cottage-y?
We just bought our first home last year. I really...
coastalboysmom
Ugly lake cottage needs curb appeal
This modular house was put on the lot backwards! The...
snowbird45
To Shutter or Not to Shutter
I own a fairly common style home in the Atlanta area....
bandrews3
Please help me update my cottage....
Hi! We recently bought a small cottage by the ocean....
oceanfamily
Flooring & Wall Color dilemma
We are converting our powder room in the semi basement...
Manish Arora
Damask wall to wall carpet?
Painted a large basement room that includes a small...
cguinard
Need help with bathroom lighting.
I have a 10ft high ceiling in my bathroom with a can...
1sullivan
help - where light sconces go on left and rt of long rectngle mirror
We are trying to wire the electicral boxes for our...
jjbrooksy
Need help with this space?
On the tv wall there is going to be a floating tv console...
facentet