Help with front door color
gislasong
September 30, 2012
Would like some new ideas for our new front door. Old one was black, but looking for more ideas.
delanza
Maybe a sliver grey like your roof color would look nice and I would change the house numbers from gold to silver to match also
1 Like    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 3:28PM
HI --- Your house looks real nice . Does not need much at all . I think if you add a decorative panel in white like your windows ,- on each side of the entrance the width of the stairs , then the mail box and house numbers etc. will show up. The lanterns are good , could be a little lower but don't have to be . You will have to judge and see if and when you put the panels on. I like the awning . Maybe add another iron railing to match the other. But for the door , you could paint it again , maybe a pretty emerald green or a dark blue or navy . If you are thinking of getting a new door , A rich medium dark or natural stained " Mahogany "wood door with some glass either in an oval light or an arts and craft style . And also adding two urns or big pots and so on . Its already a pretty house just needs a little bit extra.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 3:30PM
houssaon
There is alway red! A bright yellow?

Why are the house numbers in three places? The mailbox would look better without them.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 3:35PM
oliverme
I am a lover of anything red, especially doors, but I think in this case it would start to blend in with the red brick. I like the idea of a pale yellow, maybe even a sage green.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 3:39PM
Lisa Williams
Your house is darling but a few pops of color would really draw attention, especially on the front door :) I'd suggest a bright teal blue/green but then also find a few ways to repeat that color in smaller doses, maybe with planters or plant materials? If you have any blooming plants or trees, pull a color from the blooms. I agree with the previous poster in regards to the house numbers, once is enough if they are done so they are clearly visible and coordinate with the rest of the exterior!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 3:43PM
gislasong
Thank you, Lisa. Appreciate your compliment! Will try your suggestions and will get rid of numbers on the mailbox.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 3:50PM
gislasong
Thank you, lefty47 for your positive comments. Will consider the white panel idea, hadn't thought of that! Will get rid of the numbers on the mailbox...no one likes them. :)
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 4:10PM
gislasong
Houssaon, you caught all the house numbers! The numbers above the door are going...no one like the numbers on the mailbox, so will take them off, as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 4:12PM
gislasong
Delanza, the roof is actually a dark charcoal gray (it looks lighter in the photo), will consider that. Thank you for the number color suggestion, like that idea.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 4:17PM

Your living room window is getting cheated. It should be a more important feature. Remove the shutters as they don't fit and are vinyl (?) Repaint the door black as your storm is black. Awning ...too funeral home. White railing.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 4:41PM
hailyxo
I think a nice bright red would look great!
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 4:42PM
Donald
I like the red idea for the door, but instead of bright red I'd match to your brick, the redder of the bricks. And the black storm door would frame it nicely.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 4:47PM
Stanton Designs-online design services
I would suggest a grayish blue. You bricks has mostly red tones in it so you would like to find a color that compliments that. Grayish blue will pull out some of the darker colors in your brick and make those pop and it will also match your roof nicely.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 5:25PM
gislasong
I like that idea, thank you.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 6:55PM
gislasong
judyg, Thank you for your ideas, sorry, the awning has to stay for now. It keeps our guests from standing in the rain and snow. What other suggestions do you have to do that? What could we do to bring more focus on the living room window??
    Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 7:04PM
PYC Awnings
You could change the fabric on your awning to maybe a striped color. Check out all the colors available at http://www.sunbrella.com/showroom/awning. Then you could paint the door a color that matches the new awning.
Look at this blog and see what this homeowner did to freshen up her entryway.
http://www.pycawnings.com/porch-valance/canvas-porch-valance.html
    Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 4:08PM
Help choosing front door color in late 1800's home
We are painting our victorian/craftsman home. yes it's...
mayry
Please help with front door color
What color would you recommend for my front door? I...
rpothast
Need help with front door color.
I have old red brick with buff colored mortar. My...
patricianesmith
Need help with front door color
I am not sure if I should venture out with a different...
abbycat292
Need help with front door color.
I have a white brick colonial with black shutters and...
jebye
What is this granite called?
I'm considering painting our cabinets white or off...
margo90
Stairs
I have stairs that are carpeted and is painted underneath...
tibbsatl
Am I crazy using a dark floor?
I am thinking of using a dark tile on the floor of...
skbaechle
Ugliest house on the street
Hate my veranda it's only big enough for two. Would...
sunnysideforever
Curb appeal: how to make this exterior more interesting, inviting?
Hubby and I are moving into our first home together....
aprildch