Kitchen color dilemma
Viviana
I just purchased my first home and hate the green on the kitchen walls. I'm unsure of what paint color to chose. What I am sure of is I'm going for a contemporary modern look. Any suggestions?
Crystal Entertainment Corporation
I would paint the kitchen white or off white to lighten up the space.
September 30, 2012 at 7:20pm   
Natalie
Hi you have to balance the undertones here... 4 colors---2 color chips
Colors SW 7037 Balanced Beige and SW 7038 Tony Taupe
Colors SW 7023 Requisite Gray and SW 7024 Funtional Gray
Pick them up, bring home, see how you like the colors with the cabs, floor, counters/backsplash, etc. I think at least one, will be perfect.
For more of a contemporary look, I have no idea if it's yours or the previous owner's but remove all the items from the refrigerator and counters. Off-white containers or metal for condiments, etc. on the counter. Lemons, garlic, onions, and/or artichokes for display... Good Luck!
September 30, 2012 at 8:06pm   
bcprincess
Pick a color from your granite. Use soft beige, taupe or yellow (if it's in the granite countertop and backsplash). Go darker than the floor and blend in the colors.
September 30, 2012 at 9:23pm   
Julia Wakely Interiors
Since you're looking for more of a contemporary look, I would paint the cabinetry in a high gloss dark colour pulled from your granite and then paint the walls white. Change the hardware while you're at it and choose more contemporary pulls.
September 30, 2012 at 9:30pm     
Monique Jacqueline Design
Benjamin Moore, Ambiance #309 or Halifax Cream would be beautiful. These tones would also bright up your kitchen area without having to go with white or light beige.
Cheers!
m.
September 30, 2012 at 9:47pm   
I agree with white walls which always gives a bit of contemporary touch to a room.

October 1, 2012 at 5:47am     
Natalie
Yes Dytecture is right-white does give a contemporary look. However, the kitchen he posted has a light backsplash, so there is not a lot of contrast between it and the wall color---unlike yours which has a medium value---white or off-white walls would be much too stark.
October 1, 2012 at 5:54am   
Green in the kitchen is supposed to help with digestion, but not if you don't like it!!! Cream color walls would be the best way to go.
October 1, 2012 at 5:57am   
Viviana
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also thinking of going with this hardware.
October 1, 2012 at 6:00pm     
It's nice, kind of plain but better than what you have now.
October 1, 2012 at 6:24pm   
@Natalie, it would be creepy if I found a picture that has the same finishes as Viviana !!!
October 1, 2012 at 6:26pm   
Natalie
Hi Dytecture---do you mean what she currently has or what she proposed above? I think anything will be an improvement. She wants a contemporary look for her room, and what she has suggested is quite contemporary.
October 1, 2012 at 6:37pm     
Viviana
Do you think I should change the top cabinet doors to match the bottom ones? How difficult can it be to find similar ones?
October 1, 2012 at 6:52pm   
Natalie
I am sure you could find ones to match, but is it something you should do? Not really. Now if you were going to paint your cabinets that would be a different story. For now just jazz up what you have with new hardware and some paint on the walls. After those two quick fixes, you can decide on whether or not the mix-matched cabs are a still a concern. Who knows, you might want to rip out that stone and put up a new backsplash. :) One step at a time. CheerS!
October 1, 2012 at 7:16pm   
oaklands
No need to change the doors.Is that a black dishwasher?...the black door looks good with the counters.I would paint the cabinets black...with lighter walls picking the lightest colour from the countertop....a taupy grey shade.For a more contemporary look, I would choose very long T bar door pulls. Not too keen on the pulls you are suggesting...
October 1, 2012 at 7:19pm     
karen2905
I agree with the grey... but I would go more of a lighter charcoal than a taupy grey color. If you do a legit gray, you're going to have to change the floors.

How much light does the room get?
October 1, 2012 at 7:38pm   
Mint Design
go for medium grey or mirror the walls but it will be hard to go contemporary with the cabinet door designs and cabinet colors.....
October 1, 2012 at 7:42pm   
Sunil Chaha,Sr.Vastu & Fengshui Consultant.
well, if this kitchen is stationed is in southeast direction of your covered area, then we suggest u to keep natural wood color or lightest form of green color with white roof.it will fetch good results..Sunil Chadha,Sr.vastu-Fengshui Consultant.
October 1, 2012 at 7:48pm   
Viviana
This is a townhouse with very little natural light coming in (mainly from the entry foyer and the back yard). Black and gray would be to much.
October 1, 2012 at 8:09pm   
Julia Wakely Interiors
Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter for the cabinets and White Dove for the walls. Restoration Hardware Spritz pulls will you give you the modern, light airy look. Congratulations on your first house.
October 1, 2012 at 8:15pm   
Kitchen color dilemma
Hello, Redoing kitchen from it's current state of...
kitchen wall color dilemma
Installing bead board look white cabinets, blue/black...
Kitchen Cabinet Color Dilemma
I recently painted the walls of my kitchen/living room/dining...
Kitchen cabinet color dilemma
We bought this house a year and a half ago. It was...
Kitchen Color Dilemma After Granite Installation
Okay, the granite has been installed today in my cranberry...
Window treatments for different height windows in one open space
Hi, I have one open space family room that opens...
Back Porch Decor? What do you think?
I am trying to spiff up the back porch and would love...
Need help picking out countertops!
I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and could really...
Exterior Stone and Brick Colors!
We are in need of some great brick and stone combos...