Decorating ideas with entry - suggestions appreciated!!
mahbona
October 1, 2012
Hello, the entry to my condo has a view directly to my kitchen. There is also a small area where I have put a hallway table. What I am looking for is to make this area stand out so the focus is more on the table and accessories than on the kitchen.

The wall is painted in BJ's putnam ivory and the table is new so wouldn't want to change it.

Any ideas on how to decorate this area - the vase is just temporary so I can get rid of it. What kind of artwork/mirror work/plants/etc would look good against this wall?

The first picture is how it looks today. The second and the third pictures are the 'before' look (prior to painting/moving in etc). The third picture is taken from the kitchen to give an idea of the area of my entryway from the main door. Note that I do not intend to put a shoe rack in this area, have found another place for it.

Love to hear what you experts have to say!
michigammemom
Try hanging an eye catching mirror above you hall table to draw attention from the kitchen view, make the entry appear larger and conceal the electrical plate.
    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 7:42AM
delanza
Paint the entrance a different color so it doesn't blend into the kitchen....then add a long tall mirror over the table, make sure the mirror is not quite as wide as the table then add accessories to the table that match the new wall color
    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 8:41AM
I like both ideas above, and I would add paint the front door a cream color to blend better with your floor.
    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 8:57AM
mahbona
That's a great idea, I do have paint in a darker shade (BJ's Decatur Buff) with me, which would look perfect on this wall. My initial idea was to use a mirror as well but now I see that my condo already has a lot of mirrors around the place (closets etc), as well as floor to ceiling windows. Was hoping that there's an inspiration photo somewhere which would use something other than a mirror.

Any thoughts? If a mirror is the way to go, then I'd work with that too.
    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 8:59AM
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
Hi there!
Maybe get a gallon of Putnam Ivory in a glossy finish & do a stencil in the entryway. This will add some texture without changing what you've done. (and it is an easy way to designate space) layering texture is a great way to get a finished look.

Since your goal is to create a focal point that takes your eye off the kitchen, I would recommend art instead of a mirror above the table. There is a site called artthatfits.com that allows you to customize your art size. The art would need to be vertical & shouldn't be the same width as the table. (1-3" smaller than table at min.). You can also achieve a vertical look by stacking two square pieces, one above the other. Since you stand in this space, I would recommend the art be hung at eye level. Then, to soften the rectangles (table, art, wall shape) I would find an interesting bowl for the tabletop. This will give you function for a place to put your keys, or as a welcoming candy dish for guests. Art selection is personal...I'd need to know more about your style, likes & dislikes to suggest anything...but browsing online for something is a great way to start. Hope this helps~happy decorating!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 9:07AM
mjlb
Is there another path into the kitchen? If there is, I'd close off that entry to the kitchen with a sliding door, probably surface-mounted with barn door type hardware. The door itself could be artwork if painted a contrasting color.
    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 9:22AM
mpoulsom
ART! Something abstract, or something with a subject that you love...could be anything. Go to some galleries and wander around! Or go to etsy...there seem to be a million artists on that sight with all styles, but get something you love. No one will see the kitchen initially. And maybe a shallow bowl or platter to place keys etc on the table.
The stencil idea is a good one too....I would just make sure it was subtle...maybe using your darker shade of paint you have already.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 9:37AM
mpoulsom
You could also put a tall piece of sculpture on that table as well, instead of flat wall art!
    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 9:38AM
mahbona
Thanks all! I'm curious about the stencil idea, never done that before. Does anyone have a photo as an example of what that would look like?

Lots of ideas, am going to be looking around for a good art piece, and will surely check out artthatfits.com as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 3:25PM
mpoulsom
sure do! lol!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 3:38PM
Stanton Designs-online design services
You are going to want this wall to stand out. Pick a bold color or a wallpaper to accent the wall. Your eyes will be drawn here instead of your kitchen. I like the idea of a mirror because it will bounce light around... find an interested framed mirror. With the size of your table I would just add a couple accessories....get some color on there.
    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 3:42PM
mpoulsom
They come in fairly large sheets too. I haven't done them personally, but have read about them and it seems pretty simple to do....especially I would think in your space. All kinds of designs out there! If you can my dear....buy original art!!! and support us starving and/or poor artistes!!!!! :) I will continue to say that there is affordable and good quality art out there!!! Go to a university, fall festival with artists booths, galleries, county arts council's jurried shows, coffee shops etc for local art!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 3:44PM
Barbara Ann Holmes - Lintels & Lallies
I use http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/. Clean/Clear instructions. You can purchase simple or complex designs & they even have how-to videos for the beginner. Thank you mpoulsom- that is exactly what I was talking about! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 7:54PM
I vote for a bold and graphic wallpaper (or stencil) in the "L" of the entry. A mirror/table on the short wall. The graphic/mirror will say 'this is my foyer" and take notice first...instead of the kitchen.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 9:31PM
Like this..but not quite. : O)

1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 9:33PM
How would you decorate this entry?
First home and wondering how to decorate the 2story...
shere824
I would really appreciate a professional's suggestion.
Our (formal) sitting room is challenging me. I have...
sunnydrew
Small Living Room / No Entry / Furniture Ideas
My girlfriend and I have recently bought a home and...
skurz
Redoing our Christmas decor. Opinions appreciated!
Hello there, Houzzers! We've FINALLY decided to start...
daylightca
what type mirror & decorating ideas for Mudroom entry
This is the mudroom entry off our garage. I am playing...
cpsk
Help.. need to convince my sister blue is not the way to go!
My sister is currently spending a s* load of money...
daniellemmercer
Bookcases! What to do??
What color should I paint the bookcases? I am painting...
aiharris
Help us have a ' safe and happy landing ;)'
Our apartment is on the fourth and top floor of our...
chayalarosenberg
Would a round rug work?
Hi houzzers, I want to change this rug because I find...
jdavid10
ISO: brass metal rim round mirror 32-36"
Why is it impossible for me to find a simple brass...
Jasmene Jarrett