Help my dead end (dead cat as they say in the trade) space.
heardla
We have taken a simple 4 square house (four large rooms up and four rooms down) and turned it into a 3 bedroom up house. We have taken one of bedrooms and turned it into our master bath/closet. Now the opening for that former bedroom will be dry walled over in addition to covering the old bathroom door and closet as they will now be entered from my son's room. So now at the top of a nice stair case, we have a dead end. Please, any suggestions on what to do with this now 9 foot by 4 foot space at the top of the stairs? It is very visible from the front door foyer. Thanks!!
houssaon
You could build shelving about 12'' deep partly recessed for storage and display centered on that wall as wide as you want. Some of the shelves could be open and some closed.
Cat Mountain Residence Simplified version of this: Traditional Hall Or: Second floor hall with reading nook Upstairs built-in bookcase
Isn't this beautiful? Beacon Hill Condominium - Hall Cabinets Embed a piece of cabinetry
October 2, 2012 at 1:26PM     
houssaon
Oh, one other option is a striking piece of lighted artwork!
October 2, 2012 at 1:27PM   
heardla
Your great! How did you do that so quickly? We have been pondering the shelf idea but your photos really give me a great visual. Thanks so much.
October 2, 2012 at 1:32PM   
houssaon
I search the photos in the hallway section for "shelving." Love doing that to get the visuals (a picture is worth 1000 words) for ideas. Glad I could l help.
October 2, 2012 at 1:44PM     
Roots and Rafters
You could also put bookcases on the lower half of the wall, and use the space above as a small art gallery with nice downlighting.

Mid-Century Modern Renovation
Library
Traditional Hall
October 2, 2012 at 2:05PM   
I'd put a built-in desk space at the end of the 9 x 4' area and build 12" bookcases that lead up to and include the desk.
October 2, 2012 at 2:55PM     
heardla
I love that picture! And that is such a great idea. I am looking for a good place to put a small desk. I would love a built in desk but I think I am too messy to have that seen from the front door if you know what I mean. I really appreciate your help.
October 2, 2012 at 7:51PM   
heardla
The drywall is now up. I will take some photos tomorrow of the final space and see what more you great designers can come up with. I can't wait to show you my mess of a screened in porch.
October 2, 2012 at 7:54PM     
Natalie
Hi-I say put a mural up and call it a day. :) For under $100.00 that wall could really be something. Love the idea for the bookcases and desk, but a 9' x 4' area, which is a passageway, is not really that big of a space-at least not widthwise. Unless you're going to have the bookcases built/recessed into the wall openings, I would scrap that idea. Sorry... Anyway, here's a link to a mural-several available... Good Luck! http://themuralstore.com/waterfall-black-forest-8-047-mural.html
October 2, 2012 at 8:32PM   
Houssaon has got it goin on! Perfect solution.
October 2, 2012 at 10:09PM   
heardla
Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. The renovation finished up at the beginning of December but I wanted to show what we ended up doing with our hallway space at the top of the stairs. It has improved even since I took this photo but I wanted to let you know that this idea came directly off of Houzz.
February 13, 2013 at 11:39AM     
carolins
I looks absolutely wonderful!
February 13, 2013 at 11:56AM   
hparks74
Here is an option we will be doing in our kitchen
February 13, 2013 at 12:03PM   
heardla
Hparks74-We did something similar on a blank wall in kitchen. Haven't gotten around to fully utilizing but I will. Fun for ever changing decor ideas. Thanks carolins!
February 13, 2013 at 1:36PM   
help! Dead space in living room, and other finishing touches!
Hello houzzers! I have a painting centered to my sofa...
dead space...narrow living room...help!
hey guys! my finance and i have recently purchased...
Help design zombies bring life to dead space!
What should I do with this dead space in the foreground?...
New House Practically Blank Slate
Just moved into new house--open concept living, dining,...
I have one chance to make this awesome. Help!
I'm completely overwhelmed! Hubby and I had to move...
Window coverings.
What type window covering would you all suggest. House...
Tiny powder room remodel ! Need advice.
We recently purchased our first home. This is our first...
Pink and gray nursery
I am having trouble picking the perfect gray and pink...