Need help to pick flooring for ensuite/dressing area: Porceline or Natural Stone?
jacintap
October 3, 2012
Hi all - I'm in the mids of choosing either porceline tiles that look like travetine for my ensuite/dressing area or actual natural travetine stone tiles. We are putting in a wet room and don't want to use mosaics and our contractor said natural stone would be better as it would cut better and "hug" the wet area better as porceline is very sharp when cut and if not grouted properly, can cut. My question though is maintenance. I'm concered that natural stone requires a lot of maintenance and over time would have to be resealed. Also I am having underfloor heating - which would be a better meterial to keep heat?
ct design studio
Either one will transfer heat nicely for you. Both are very durable. However natural stone has to be cleaned with natural stone cleaner and should be resealed if you want to keep it bright and relatively stain free. If this is an area where you apply cosmetics you'll have to be careful with nail polish and remover, hair color etc if you use natural stone. Porcelain is non-porous and maintenance free. It really comes down to expectation if you want to let the stone age as it will, or maintain it to keep it looking newer.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 8:33AM
jacintap
Thanks very much for your advice. I'm so torn between the two but a big part of me is saying "go for porceline" as we're a busy family and I can't see me remembering to reseal and be careful at all times. Thank you again for your reply.
    Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 8:36AM
Trends in Tile
I completely agree with CT Design studio. Stone requires maintenance , special cleaning and is absorbent. I would never choose that over porcelain.
The new porcelains are all high def digital photography of natural stone - we have designers in our showroom everyday who cannot tell the difference.
Plus, porcelain is less expensive than stone!!
    Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 1:40PM
need help picking wood floor for kitchen and ajoining TV/eating area
short wall separates 2 rooms. kitchen 10'x 18'with...
b10kayl
Need help picking floors for a master bath
I am doing a complete remodel on my master bath and...
Simona Sisca
Need help picking flooring
Hi everyone! I'm from Ontario and am new to this site....
drlmac
Need help with picking flooring, solid hardwood or engineered, which is better?
Our house got damaged during Hurricane Sandy so we...
Melissa
Need help to pick flooring in main hall flowing into kitchen
Renovating and need design ideas on what flooring to...
devachic
Need Help picking a backsplash
Hello, I can't seem to commit to a backsplash. Please...
challenge34
Please help me find a sofa bed with great design!
I bought my apartment in Tokyo and remodeled it last...
Hajime Okazawa
Curb appeal: how to make this exterior more interesting, inviting?
Hubby and I are moving into our first home together....
aprildch
Decor for craftsman living room
We are moving into our first home and are ready to...
lindseylsullivan
Need RETRO linoleum floor for kitchen
Hi all- we are giving out Brady bunch kitchen a fun...
Valerie Robinson