Need help with layout & decorating large 2 story family room
pinkysmama
Hello, I am looking for some advice on how to layout furniture and decorate my large family room. The room is 2 stories and approximately 17'x15.5', the wall with windows & opposing one are 17'. We are planning to replacing all of the seating with new sofa, loveseat, chairs & tables. I like the wall color & want to keep the large entertainment center.

How do you think that I should re-arrange the seating? I like it as is, but, seems a little imbalanced with the entertainment center in the corner. Can I keep the entertainment center in the corner and something to the empty space along the wall to its right? Or, should I move the entertainment center to the wall on its right, therefore facing the wall with the windows?

I am not sure how best to decorate the tall walls either. The 2 story walls are such a challenge. What do you think about adding curtains?

Thanks in advance for any/ all advice, I appreciate the help.
Artisan Crafted
A pendant chandelier would look incredible in this space!
October 3, 2012 at 9:49am   
Inside Out Staging and Design
Love the color! Your initial reaction about imbalance is right on. Always try to "balance" large pieces across from each other. I would move TV/armoire to take up larger wall directly in front of sofa. Pull sofa away from windows and consider chairs as opposed to a loveseat which offers the same amount of seating and more versatility. This would also work better with the opening into the adjacent room and not "stick" out. Place end tables on either side of sofa, large coffee table in front but reachable for all seating. Make sure you have adequate lighting as well. Dramatic floor to ceiling drapes would soften the space and add some warmth. You might also consider a sectional. Accent chairs on either side of the fireplace can also work. Think larger pieces when you have tall walls or a combination of smaller pieces close together to create a "larger" feeling.
October 3, 2012 at 9:51am     
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Have you thought about an accent color on the window wall, and adding a valance over the windows? I would keep the rectangular entertainment center square against the wall, it would have more of a 'built-in' feel to it.
October 3, 2012 at 10:00am   
loriwcox
Definitely move the entertaiment center to the short wall facing windows & away from the fireplace because it competes with the focal point (fireplace) and throws off the balance. Agree with a chandelier! Consider painting the brick in the fireplace. I also agree NOT to do sofa & loveseat but consider chairs instead. I like the idea of a sectional in the middle of the room. Try to make your fireplace the focal point and group the new furnture in the center of the room instead of being pushed up against each wall. Some non operatioonal drapes hung on either side of the windows from floor to ceiling would add some interest, color and texture. You have a great start with that room!
October 3, 2012 at 10:03am   
Inside Out Staging and Design
OMG Artisan Crafted Lighting.... I LOVE the fixture in the bottom right corner. Where can I go to find more about this piece :)???
October 3, 2012 at 10:11am   
camillealbert
I agree you should move the entertainment center to the right. It competes with the fireplace. But....you would have to consider heavier window treatments because you will get a lot of glare on the t.v.
October 3, 2012 at 10:18am   
Artisan Crafted
Inside Out Saging and Design,
Here is a link to our Chandelier catalog: http://bit.ly/T1cfFr
And here is a direct link to the Candle Pendant Chandelier: http://bit.ly/Vh46CV
Thanks for the love!

Also, we continually support the addition of drapes to the windows in this room--it will bring the energy upward and give the space more breath!
October 3, 2012 at 10:21am   
pinkysmama
Wow! Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I really appreciate the time & effort that you all took to help me. I am definitely going to proceed with adding curtains. I also want to move the entertainment center as many have suggested, but, am concerned about glare as camille pointed out. I am going to think about chairs instead of the loveseat, and, I have already pushed the seating away from the walls as recommended. We do have a ceiling lighting fixture but it is not shown in the picture.

Any suggestions on wall decor? Once thanks for your input, it is really helpful.
October 3, 2012 at 12:05pm   
camillealbert
More than one on a wall if you go for prints. Check out Art.com. A few wall shelves on the other wall Thea is not next to the fireplace. Tall plants always give a cozy feeling ... Good luck and have fun decorating !!!
October 3, 2012 at 1:57pm   
Just Moved! Stumped by large, open wall area!
Hi all - Please help! My husband and I just moved to...
noise reduction windows
I got old Victorian Home, close to busy road. I hate...
What do you like better?
I would like to get a white bench or glider for the...
Upgrade curb appeal on a small budget, 1970's house!!! Minnesota
We do not have a large budget. We need to improve the...
Proud of your home?
Is there a particular room or spot in your home that...