What do I do with this landing?!
mstoelzing
We have a decent sized and totally EMPTY landing area at the top of our stairs, right outside the master bedroom and loft (den). We have lived in this house for 4 years and still haven't done a single thing with this blank space, simply because I'm at a loss as to what to do with it. We have 2 kids, age 11 & 13. My decorating style in the rest of the house is somewhat eclectic - a mix of modern & a little rustic thrown in, as well. Any decorating suggestions??
1816zenden
You could create a nice reading nook in this space! Would suggest putting a nice modern chaise lounge in the little alcove (since a modern chaise is sleeker and visually takes less space)and some book cases (slim ones ) that hold books horizontally or even better install floating book shelves on the wall where the window is or on the wall opposite the stairs. Throw in some decorative accessories on the shelves along with the books, a sleek reading lamp and a nice shag rug to complement the chaise and accessories.
October 3, 2012 at 10:07am   
loriwcox
I like the reading nook idea but you might not need that.. Do you need storage? (who doesn't) You could do floor to ceiling cabinets with open shelving at the top for books & decorative accessories, or collections, with closed cabinets at the bottom for storage. I would do built-ins though so they don't look misplaced.
October 3, 2012 at 10:21am   
camillealbert
I think a chaise would be too overpowering in that space. A small narrow table with a lamp. A tall plant in one of the corners. Maybe a long bench with a few pillows on it. Next to the window, pictures down the length of the window Simple window treatments. Just a valance if you don't need privacy.
October 3, 2012 at 10:33am   
I'm homeless with land to build on and a $20,000. budget What do I do?
I moved into my son's 6 acres , old 3bdr, 1sm. bathroom...
What should I do with this landing upstairs?
This area outside a bedroom used to house a computer...
What do I put up here?!? Landing above front door!!!
I have no idea why builders put in this landing area...
What can I do with this laundry/ landing/mud room area?
Split level home...this is the mid floor with exterior...
What should I do with this space at my landing?
I' m debating about taking out glass shelves and mirror...
Pros and Cons - Apartments vs. Houses
Have you lived in both an apartment and a house? What...
Need help for the size of a makeup vanity area
We are adding on to our master bath to make it a glamour...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Paint color for open space rental apartment kitchen walls/cabinets?
I need to paint my dated, ugly rental kitchen. I live...
Metal roof color selection?
Need help selecting color for our replacement metal...