What do I do with this landing?!
mstoelzing
October 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have a decent sized and totally EMPTY landing area at the top of our stairs, right outside the master bedroom and loft (den). We have lived in this house for 4 years and still haven't done a single thing with this blank space, simply because I'm at a loss as to what to do with it. We have 2 kids, age 11 & 13. My decorating style in the rest of the house is somewhat eclectic - a mix of modern & a little rustic thrown in, as well. Any decorating suggestions??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
1816zenden
You could create a nice reading nook in this space! Would suggest putting a nice modern chaise lounge in the little alcove (since a modern chaise is sleeker and visually takes less space)and some book cases (slim ones ) that hold books horizontally or even better install floating book shelves on the wall where the window is or on the wall opposite the stairs. Throw in some decorative accessories on the shelves along with the books, a sleek reading lamp and a nice shag rug to complement the chaise and accessories.
October 3, 2012 at 10:07am   
loriwcox
I like the reading nook idea but you might not need that.. Do you need storage? (who doesn't) You could do floor to ceiling cabinets with open shelving at the top for books & decorative accessories, or collections, with closed cabinets at the bottom for storage. I would do built-ins though so they don't look misplaced.
October 3, 2012 at 10:21am   
camillealbert
I think a chaise would be too overpowering in that space. A small narrow table with a lamp. A tall plant in one of the corners. Maybe a long bench with a few pillows on it. Next to the window, pictures down the length of the window Simple window treatments. Just a valance if you don't need privacy.
October 3, 2012 at 10:33am