Need help quickly with electrical decisions
terridonlea
I am meeting with our electrician TONIGHT for our new home. I have read through previous discussions about what to include when building a new house, but there is so much information, it is hard to pick out just the electrical components. What are MUST haves in your opinion.
olldcan
Bedside light switches and dimmers. Electrical outlet in the bathroom drawer, that way everything can stay plugged in out of sight. If your getting a pantry have an outlet in there as well. Is this an integrated (smart home)
0 Likes   October 3, 2012 at 11:41AM
TRS Designs, Inc (Kitchens, Baths, & More)
Electrical outlets directly under each and every window for holiday decorations. Also consider adding a few circuits/switches in the foyer to control outdoor and landscape lighting.
0 Likes   October 3, 2012 at 11:49AM
ct design studio
Everything mentioned above, plus undercabinet, recessed and pendant lighting in kitchen, overhead and wall sconces in bath, dimmers throughout, layers of lighting throughout, allow overhead and table lamps etc in living spaces, outlets in cabinets will allow you to stash small appliances, for upstairs hallway/stairway lighting switch at the top and bottom. Also think about audio/video where the tv etc will be and charging stations, home office areas. Good luck!
0 Likes   October 3, 2012 at 12:04PM
terridonlea
Thank you, thank you, thank you...all suggestions have been added to my list for the electrician. @ct design studio...we are using one large, framed mirror in the bathroom instead of individual mirrors over the sinks. Would you suggest putting sconces directly on the mirror, or make the mirror a bit smaller to accomodate sconces placed on the wall? Also, should sconces be placed at face level or above?
0 Likes   October 3, 2012 at 1:17PM
ct design studio
Aesthetically I prefer individual framed mirrors with sconces in between for a more custom look. If you go with the large plate mirror, place the sconces on it, just above face level. If you only do lighting above the mirror and on the ceiling it will cast very unflattering shadows and make shaving and makeup application difficult. Plus when you walk in your new bathroom in the morning and look in the mirror you don't want to think "ugh" :)
0 Likes   October 3, 2012 at 1:22PM
Recessed lighting whenever and as often as possible, on dimmer switches.
0 Likes   October 3, 2012 at 1:29PM
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Wall light placed on the mirror is a high end look for your bath - NICE!
If you have an island in kitchen have electrical placed there for entertaining.
Floor mount electrical outlet in family room so you do not have cords laying across the floor for lamps. This should be placed under a couch.
If you have space above your cabinets in the kitchen, an electrical outlet up there for accent lighting. FYI - they wanted an additional 100 bucks to put their rope light in - I just bought my own and plugged them in.
You can never have too many can lights! You don't ever want to say I wish I would have added more.... Put on dimmers!
For your closets or pantry - a light that automatically goes on when the door is opened.
Fireplace, if you can put an electrical outlet on the side of the fireplace stone or tile for holiday lights.
0 Likes   October 3, 2012 at 2:05PM
help! ADVICE NEEDED AND QUICKLY!! what size sofa for my room?
I am moving into a house in a couple of days and have...
Help ... I need to make our dining room look beautiful, quickly
Hello, I am in desperate need of help with our dining...
decisions, decisions arghhhh need help for kitchen Please
Hi my fellow houzzers, please help me decide backsplash...
Help with countertops...one more element needed....need to make decision soon!
Would Crema macarello counters be too busy with Ubatuba...
Family room update
I need help with wall decor, art etc. Also input for...
Yes or No-rug
This is my 2nd rug purchased. And I'm still not jumping...
trying to make a decision
please show me a updated bathroom thats installed a...
DESIGN DISASTER! GRANITE AND TILE DON"T MATCH!
We have spend $$$ totally remodeling our master bath...
Have you ever sold a home as a "For Sale By Owner" transaction?
I've never been brave enough to go it alone when selling...