Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriewazz

Need help with family room layout

Carrie
11 years ago
I'm at a loss as to how to layout my family room! We've recently moved and currently have a sectional split up in the space just to have some sort of seating. This piece will go in to the basement eventually (definitely does not have to stay in the room) but the room has an odd shape (small nook where we currently have the bookcase), fireplace and French doors leading out to our deck which is making it difficult for me to figure out what to do.

We have decided we will mount the TV above the fireplace, which will free up some space. Also, we have 2 young sons who play in the room often, so this absolutely has to be fun and functional.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

• charleee
    11 years ago
    Good idea to put the tv above the fireplace. For the "nook", with young kids I would make that a storybook reading corner with a cozy chair, floor lamp and lot of good books.

All the rest of the furniture should face the fireplace.
  • B Elmore
    11 years ago
    Do you have room to move your sectional in from the walls and put it in a U pattern facing the fireplace? If more light is needed, a sofa table behind the major portion would look great!
  • helenamt
    11 years ago
    I agree with the above, put the TV above the fireplace, face a couch toward the fireplace - or if you are are replacing furniture maybe 2 small loveseats. Keep one loveseat along the large wall (if there is room move it away from the wall), but move it closer to the fireplace and put an end table on the other side with the lamp to give light to both couches, in the nook where you currently have the small couch put the bookcase and leave the place where the bookcase is blank to give it more of an open look and to be used as a walk-way into your room. Then I would put a large square coffee table in the middle, that has a shelf under the top, to place games, blankets, etc, under it.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Go to icovia.com and play with a space plan and your "want" furniture pieces. What I normally do, is find the furniture pieces I want to buy, have the sales rep print out the spec sheet of those pieces so I can put the dimensions of the furniture into the space plan. Then play with it on paper BEFORE you purchase anything new. Make sure it will accommodate snuggle night when you all want to watch TV, and then those times where you may want to be reading in one corner, while kids play in another.
    Cheaper to plan on paper first, than to buy the wrong furniture. Good luck !
  • Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of planning out the furniture arrangement with paper or tape on the floor. Once you know what dimensions you need, I'd opt for a sofa on the long wall with a matching ottoman. It can be pulled up to the sofa to simulate a chaise for lounging. In the corner where the loveseat portion of the sectional is, I'd put a comfy arm chair with a table. You could have a wall mounted lamp that plugs in to free up floor and table space. Something like below, perhaps.

Once the TV is mounted above the fireplace, the small rocking chair could go there with some nice baskets to store toys. I prefer rounded coffee table shapes for spaces where children live. Sharp corners can really bite if play time gets rambunctious. Something like below is stylish and has some storage.

You could also think about floating shelves in place of the bookcase; ones that span the width of the wall above the chair rail. Below would be a good place to stash a couple of storage ottomans that might come in handy for extra casual seating as well as a good place to stash toys.
  • rins91
    11 years ago
    It doesn't look like you have enough space to face the couch to the fireplace. If you're a TV watcher in that room, I'd be a little nervous putting it over the fireplace. I don't think it'll be the good angle since the only wall for a sofa is the one it's on. So just leave the tv where it is - or mount it up on that side wall next to the french doors on a hinge you can push flat against the wall our putll out and angle it towards couch. If you just remove the smaller piece of the sectional - which looks like a love seat - move the chair over in that corner, you'll have more room for the boys to play. That'll give you room for their toys too! You already have pictures on the fireplace, put them all in the same color frames, and hang over the fireplace. Make it a wall of family photos! Best of luck!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Peter, having a diagram of the room helps alot! It's hard to tell from the pictures what the layout actually is, it's rather choppy. Bobbi
  • Carrie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all so far... Some really great ideas! Some we've toyed with but others we hadn't! Wow, seeing a diagram really helps- I have such a hard time visualizing!!
  • PRO
    OakWood Designers & Builders
    11 years ago
    I'm not a big fan of TV above fireplaces. I prefer when a little more thought was put behind the location of the TV. Attached is a picture of TV fireplace combo we did. Never mind the animal heads...
  • B Elmore
    11 years ago
    If you paint your wall a similar color to the rock work, your pictures will really show up on the mantle! Turn them into black and whites, blow them up and put them in a floating black frame for extra pop.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Love the fireplace wall, but you definately need some bigger artwork or color up there. Not sure if it a good place for the TV though. Perhaps a lower cabinet in wood to match the mantel would look more in place right where you have it (so the top of the TV lines up or is slightly below the mantel) or where Peter recommends. A bigger or a matching bookcase to fill the nook might be nice (looks full) and you can leave an empty spot by the thermosat. A nice bigger coffee table with storage, perhaps that pops up to game table height could be nice, along with some colorful pillows. Instead of a chair and ottoman, you could have two comfy sidechairs on casters that can be pulled up toward the couch, fireplace or TV, depending on what is going on, and perhaps some lightweight sidetables or ottomans as well. My grandmother had a large room like yours and that was her solution, and it looked nice and worked great.
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi Carrie! ... Based on what seems to be your room size, your entry way and traffic pattern, and the fact that you will need enough seating for the whole family, here are two ideas for layouts that could possibly work for you. Although I can't show fireplace depth in the program, you do have some and could add some built in shelving on the top half of the fireplace wall for extra storage of books etc. I would recommend trying to get an ottoman with a hidden lid to stow away extra toys etc. If you have any questions at all, just let me know. :) I took a stab at your room size/layout based just on your pictures (guessed apx. 13' x 17'), but if you have exact measurements and are interested in seeing it quickly "drawn" up, just let me know!
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    ... on another note, tv above the fireplace is a matter of taste, but I love it.. It is a lot like being at the movies and the tv itself just subs in where traditionally a framed picture used to go. It also prevents a "dualing focal points" issue. If you find that to be too high, you can always sub in a flat screen on any wall where art is currently shown in the layouts above or mount it in the corner to the left of the fireplace or to the left of the french doors... while that isn't usually my personal favorite, in some rooms it can work depending on home owner preference!
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    - Can't wait to see what you decide on/how it turns out. Very cozy room with awesome features and I know it will be great! Please post pics if you get a chance. :)
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Melissa Elizabeth - 'you go girl'! Very nice comments! Enjoy your new space!
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    Aw gee thanks Paradise!! :D
  • Kaity Cochran
    11 years ago
    I say go with Melissa's plan! I also like the idea of the TV being above the fireplace. Wouldn't it be funny to have the yule log on the television during Christmas while burning the fireplace at the same time? Future fun times await :P
  • Carrie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hello again! So after taking the advice and taping up some TV's around the room... We have switched our tune and will not be mounting the TV over the fireplace (I lost!) Main reason is we think its too high (especially for the kids).

Many of you did give suggestions for layouts based on the TV being on the opposite wall (corner w/ loveseat) so that's where we are headed. Now the dilemma- mount or stand? Really don't want a piece of bulky furniture just to set the TV on, but will a swing arm mount look odd? Just haven't seen a lot of design around that style. Any input would help! Thanks again!!
  • rins91
    11 years ago
    If you have a flat screen tv, no need for a bulky console. Even if you mount it on the wall, a piece of furniture there will give you more storage for the kids toys. Best of luck!
  • Melissa Cee
    11 years ago
    Hi Carrie - I think it would still be just fine to mount the television regardless of the wall it is on. You could always place a cushioned bench (possibly that opens up and doubles as a toy chest) or another piece of furniture underneath. The room will probably feel more open with it mounted on the wall.