I need to pick a color for the front door...
2guys
And should I paint the smaller double doors to the left of the front door?
I prepped and primed the main one today, and have tentatively settled on a rather dark royal blue, but want some input before i commit to it.
2guys
ps: i love red front doors, but half the houses in the neighborhood have them, so I was trying to go in a different direction. And suggestions on anything else are always welcome! ( I have been toying with the idea of striped canvas awnings on wrought iron arms, but I dont know how long they last, or how to keep clean, etc. and I dont want their maintenance to become a part time job... Has anyone lived with them? Maybe just one on the lower right side window...
0 Likes   October 4, 2012 at 12:59AM
AMN
Our neighbor runs a business of cleaning awnings, so it can be hired out. As for door color, I would have to do some thinking. I like the monochromatic look you've got now.
0 Likes   October 4, 2012 at 1:34AM
I also like the monochromatic look you have, but I think the accent colors are a bit light and sort of blend together. If you paint the front doors, are you prepared to paint all the rest of the trim that matches what you currently have? Or are you looking to add a third color?

This picture shows a house with a similar wall color to yours, trimmed in navy: [houzz=
]

Personally, I would love to see your house have a bit more energy than it does. I would start by getting rid of the tired bush under the window, and add a window box of flowers in its place. This will help to balance the balcony on the second floor. Carve out flower beds on either side of the front door. Add some trim to the second story windows, they look forgotten up there.
0 Likes   October 4, 2012 at 2:56AM
michigammemom
I like the subdued color palette you have. It suits the style of your house. I would not add a striped awning due to the stripe effect of your cornerstones. What's missing for me is landscaping...foundation plantings, color and a paved path to the front door. Take a look.
0 Likes   October 4, 2012 at 4:02AM
janishill
The mailbox tells me this is an apartment complex. If you want to add a little umph to the building paint the door a deep rusty orange.
0 Likes   October 4, 2012 at 6:05AM
Chair Candy
Front door only Navy or deep teal would look great. It would pull the eye to the front of the house.
No Awnings as they should be in pairs over same size windows. The elegance of the facade would be off putting if cluttered...Spend $ on a gallon of paint and have a landscaper make a landscape or hard scape. That is really what is missing....A pair of topiaries on the balcony would look very tailored and elegant.
0 Likes   October 4, 2012 at 6:37AM
houssaon
I like this plum colored door:
1 Like   October 4, 2012 at 6:39AM
sconway11324
I would paint them a very light gray for a monochromatic look. The lighter color might brighten the entrance which is too dark and unwelcoming. Add some bright-colored pots with flowers to liven it up.
I don't have a problem with the bush being there; i do have a problem with its height. It should not cover the window.
0 Likes   October 4, 2012 at 7:11AM
Chair Candy
where is this house located? I like plum or aubergine sometimes Plum looks washed out...but lovely Idea.
0 Likes   October 4, 2012 at 7:44AM
2guys
UPDATE: The blue seemed to be the way to go, so I bought Soulful Music (Behr; BTW, what brand seems to be the best paint?) and just finished the first coat. Needs one more, but now wondering if I should paint the frames the original green and just keep the blue on the door and sidelights? Or just do the second coat over all of it again?
1 Like   October 4, 2012 at 3:55PM
I love Behr paint. Best coverage ever. And I like it the way you've done it, I personally wouldn't change it! Good job!
0 Likes   October 4, 2012 at 3:56PM
Chair Candy
as a designer, I use paint that is conducive to the area you live in......I use Ben Moore for the NorthEast and areas where the weather fluctuates from 15* to 95* in summer....only because BM has history.
The companies like Vaslpar (LOWE'S) or HOME DEPOT (Behr) are very good. I paint several colors on a piece of board first: primer and 2 coats (although some paints are now both in one). Then a protective coating....hold the paint sample at the front door and view in direct sun and at sunset to be sure that the color is what you expected in all hues of shade and light. BM royal can be just a bit off from Valspar...companies will now have small jars to purchase so you do not have to by a large can.
0 Likes   October 5, 2012 at 6:03AM
I need help picking a color for both doors on the front of our house.
This pic only shows the main entrance but to the left...
Need help picking a roof and selecting a front door color
We will need a new roof soon. I like roofs with lots...
Need help picking out color of front door...
I am not sure how well it shows up in the pictures...
Hideous fireplace
Our 1924 cottage has a hideous fireplace with white...
wood piece with original architect's signature in 100+ year old home
After demoing very steep stairs to my attic, we came...
What do you think of these window styles? Please help!
We live in a one-level country home and we need to...
Need Help: Raised Panel vs Shaker for White Kitchen Cabinet
I need to choose between Shaker vs Raised panell Styles...