Need help painting my kitchen.

adam961October 5, 2012
Hello,

I'm completely repainting the whole house and stumped on what to do with the kitchen.

I'd like to paint the kitchen cabinets white but not sure what to do with the cedar slats above the cabinets. I have the artistic talent of a stick. The living room has cedar walls and the exterior is cedar and brick. Maybe the slats would look OK as is?

I'd really appreciate any tips on this.

Thanks,

Adam
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
It does not appear that the decor in the home is rustic. I would remove the cedar shake from the kitchen and open up the soffit area.
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 7:57AM
Pangaea Interior Design, Portland, OR
I'm sure those cedar shakes are just cosmetic over an empty space. You would get a better look by removing them entirely. You can either leave the top area open or put in some display cabinetry with puck lights in the top to fill in that space. Or, you could just put a flat molding up to the ceiling if you don't want empty (dust catching) space up there. I hope you are also planning on changing out the hardware to something a little more updated. Hardware does a lot to improve the look as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 8:35AM
Studio NOO Design
Agree, remove the cedar !
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 8:58AM
fife2
YEP - we are all in agreement - I would definitely remove those cedar shakes - it is probably sheet rock under there - add some deep profile trim molding and paint!

After all is said and done, clean the cabinets really well with something like liquid gold, and change the hardware and perhaps even the hinges if you like?

Please do to Van Dykes Restorer's - online and check out ALL the different types of cabinet hardware, faucets, etc. - they have things NO one else even thought about.

Be careful with cedar - in the other rooms, etc. - there is such a thing as Cedar Fungus ??? - and one can get Cedar throat. IF it is rough cut and unfinished? Wear a mask if you decide to remove all this. This happened to my neighbor. No kidding. He has a permanent cough that will not go away. JUST FYI.

For painting cedar - stain is best - you can get solid stain, semi-solid, etc. You can find these at any hardware store.

yes - go ahead and remove those shakes.
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:11AM
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Go peek and see! Remove on of the shakes!
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:21AM
adam961
I took a look and with all the great help in here have decided to remove the shakes. I really appreciate the help!

I think I'm going to look for molding to cover the area the shakes will be removed from.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:08AM
fife2
YEAH! keep going. :-)
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:27PM
adam961
fife2 - I forgot to mention the cedar is stained and does not give a cedar smell in the house as far as I can tell. Thanks for the heads up concerning cedar fungas.
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:24PM
If you decide to paint any of the cedar, be sure to prime it first, preferably with an oil-based primer.
    Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 6:57AM
fife2
Bobbi P - you can get stain which works best on cedar - like Olympic, Varithane, Min-wax - which does any longer NOT require an oil-based primer. I just got back from home depot - and was actually checking on stains - Sure does save a LOT of work, just an FYI. I do know that yu can get Min-wax, etc., inn an oil base or water base these days. And of course, all of this depends on what the original condition of her cedar is? This is the big question - oil or water based? I think she will need to ask the paint folks - maybe even take a sample to the store? Before chosing anything - :-)
    Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 12:27PM
AMN
So glad you're getting rid of the shakes. This probably falls under the heading of "things better left unsaid," but I'm going to throw caution to the wind and say it. All I can think of when I look at those shakes is Arthur Treachers!
    Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 12:36PM
fife2, actually I was talking about paint, not stain.
    Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 3:14PM
fife2
OOPS sorry Bobbi P - I guess I am having one of those "cloud moments" every one keeps talking about - you know - where the FOG rolls in? :-)
    Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 5:00PM
That's ok, we'll just call you fog2 instead of fife2!!!
    Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 5:05PM
fife2
Well as you know - Fog does come and go! there is no telling :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 12:12PM
Barb
Remove the cedar. The cabinets will appear bigger and longer giving the same effect to your room
    Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 1:03PM
adam961
I removed a few shakes in order to plan what I want to do when I make it to the kitchen. The shakes are nailed onto 2x4's as shown in the photo. I'm trying to decide if I should cover the soffit with some type of moulding or try to remove the 2x4's and leave the soffit open.

Anyone have suggestions of places that sell moulding for covering soffits?

Suggestions appreciated!
    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 10:19AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I would try for leaving them open but you may want to remove more before you decide. If you decide to put something up there, I believe you were going to paint the cabinets white, you could put a T&G look wood soffit in that matches up with the design of the cabinet doors.
    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 11:34AM
Pangaea Interior Design, Portland, OR
There isn't a specific molding for covering soffits. I know the pictures I'm attaching are not of kitchen cabinets, but this is the same scenario. My client had bookshelves which they mysteriously stopped a foot from the ceiling. It was just a dark, empty space. We decided to fill it in and simply used flat wood to do so for a minimal and rather contemporary look. If you want to cover this area with a less rustic look than the shakes, you may be able to attach your new wood to the existing 2 x 4's. If you don't want a completely flat look like we did, you can trim the top edge with crown molding, but combining narrower crown moldings at the top and bottom of this flat piece will be less expensive than purchasing a very tall single piece of crown molding. I hope these photos are helpful in showing what I'm talking about.
    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 12:00PM
fife2
You could cover the soffits with sheet-rock? And, then place trim over this if you desire. I think for a kitchen this will provide you with a cleaner look, and less places for dust, grease, etc. to collect?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 10:08AM
adam961
Really appreciate the tips. I can't wait to get on this project.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 3:27PM
Send us some 'after' pics!
    Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 3:30PM
I need help choosing my paint colors for my kitchen.
I am antiquing my cabinets and cabinetry, but would...
fun4est
Need help choosing the paint color for my kitchen
I need to know which paint colors match the following: white...
mairead112
Need help with what color to paint my living room/ kitchen/dining room
It is a large room with a cathedral ceiling. The cabinets,...
jarnett
need help picking out paint color for my new remodled kitchen
has maple cabinets in cinnamon color, counter top is...
sveeresh
Need help for my kitchen and should I paint beams?
Hi I am over in Italy and we would finally like to...
AnaisAnais
Odd Shaped Room
We are about to rent this apartment, but have a rather...
Ksenia Alexandra
What to do? Help!
I don't know what to do with this ugly Bedford limestone...
mdt57
Need Help with Master Bath
We're updating an 80's bathroom. Not changing tub...
favoritedog
Curtain help
I would like to get some type of curtain for my windows....
adk12901
Kitchen help... Cabinet and walk color
Ever since we moved into our home I have hated the...
jilannesilvester