Holly Tree Cove :: Please Help
Building Moxie
October 5, 2012
I have a few things circling through my head but I wonder if Houzzers might have some ideas on how I might address this area of my yard. It gets virtually no light. Ivy originally grew wildly there. I like the positioning of trees because they provide a shield against the street. I like the idea of doing something with stone but my wife has systematically overruled because of year round falling holly leaves, which are hard to remove. I have thought about a low slung deck or even randomly placed boards. Open to thoughts though. thank you. ~jb
bamamom
I think large slate pieces would be great! Could use a blower to get the holly leaves into one area and then clean up. I'm talking the BIG slate stones and just lay out a pattern on the ground and fill with sand/gravel mixture.
I'm sure you will get advice from those that are way more knowledgable about this than I am.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:33AM
Building Moxie
Thanks... I have a lot of flagstone-shaped fieldstone (technically) on the property and do own a leaf blower (but plan to test that it would work before I do any install). I like it and again thank you.
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:38AM
bamamom
Welcome. Maybe some landscaping folks will offer some professional advise for you.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:55AM
Brown Richardson & Rowe, Inc.
As a landscape architect, I like the idea of stone pavers but worry that installing them on a proper base course of gravel will kill the nice Holly trees. Their roots are always close to the surface. Therefore a permeable paving like peas tone or stone dust or a raised cantilevered surface like wood decking would preserve the trees. Nice Hollies! Keep them happy!
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 5:49PM
I would love to chime in, but I have no idea where holly leaves fall. Do love your window and the soft yellow paint.

1 Like    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 6:26PM
Building Moxie
thx Judy. Brown Richardson & Rowe... I think you know where I am coming from. I have never worked with stone dust, and the issue my wife seems to have with the stone idea is trying to keep them/it in place (even if compacted) as we (read: she) rakes or blows the leaves. Holly Leaves as you probably know are very firm and do not "break down" quickly.
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 7:47PM
cyn222
Low deck with hole cut out for trees. Surrounded by evergreens or fragrant bushes.
4 Likes    Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 11:05PM
Elise
I had that problem in an old back yard. 40 foot tall trees, made barefooting impossible in our yard and the neighbor behind us. We cut the trees down to shrub height and they filled in within two years, looking great and our neighbors were happy too.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 11:07PM
ripatcha
How about encircling both trees with a raised bed for multi color bushes - with the perimeter of the bed made with stonework or manufactured, decorative blocks. Build the stone shelf wide enough for seating.
    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 12:31AM
bprince300
Those are beautiful trees. Right now its difficult to tell what the function of the space is, but if the space is simply a garden alongside the driveway, why not let it be just that - a wide garden space with a defined hard border (split face block, stone, brick, etc.) where the root-zone/edges currently are and some occasional low growing shade and acid loving plants just along the inside edges of that border that will help to 'corral' the leaves in the open space left between the plants and trees.

You could still retain the stepping stone pathway alongside the house, just clean up the edges of that pathway, re-level and arrange the stones if needed to make the path itself more apparent. Sometimes just cleaning out random elements and zoning or 'defining the space' with edges makes a big difference.

Avoid filling the garden border/burying the natural foot and trunk of the tree with soil much above the roots as it is unhealthy for most woodland trees. Combined with a blend of other natural wood mulch the fallen leaves could be gathered and/or left inside the border to decompose and return nutrition to the trees. They could always be 'blown out' if too many collect on top but if you live in an Eastern US climate, as I'm guessing by the photo, you probably get enough moisture during the year to help them decay fairly quickly.
There isnt much that you can do to make it a safe zone for a patio/deck though. Those leaf spines can be nasty to sit on or in a tender foot, a good enough reason to just 'let them be' in their own space.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 1:48AM
Building Moxie
thanks everyone for the feedback, @ cyn222 I especially appreciate the model. I certainly will not cut the trees down (despite my misses pleading). While I think the hollies are unfortunate in some degree, they are evergreen and are laid out almost perfectly. @bprince300 I like your ideas ... it is not so much what the space would be used for as much as I just want to give the area a more finished look, perhaps adding a bench and/or ornament giving maybe a quiet cove feel. I do have another area in our yard where I planted Vinca earlier this year and am waiting to see how that does. I don't know so much that I want to that here though... simply because yes those falling leaves fall both inside and outside the area. Removing them would likely still be the plan of attach and I fear that additional plantings would just complicate that matter. Anyways, again - thank you all. will consider.
    Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 10:29AM
Ideas for landscaping please!!!
I am in need if serious ideas and suggestions for landscaping...
cmfiereck
Landscaping and curb appeal help
I would love some suggestions to create a welcoming...
msreeka
Please help with curb appeal!
Hi Everyone! We have been in this mid-century colonial...
J. Alexander
Need help with what to plant in each corner along fenceline in back
We live in Central Texas and have a small backyard...
gtelker
Need help how to furnish and design my living room, please help!
I want to design and furnish our living room and I...
Keso
How to decorate a 2 story wall
I have a huge, bare 2 story wall in my great room....
mnmdurkop
Help.. need to convince my sister blue is not the way to go!
My sister is currently spending a s* load of money...
daniellemmercer
Main Bedroom Curtains/Blinds
Main Bedroom. I have a built in cupboard along the...
desiree1958
Help please help me pull this together with an area carpet idea!
I have a living room (20x12 with 15 foot ceilings)...
brelee1