Can't decide on rug specifics...
pdrmant
Trying to find a rug to tie the room together. Trying to spend around $500 or so. I like traditional/transitional style rugs, but am not sure that that would fit the need. Is the room too modern? Thinking that a light, muted blue base might work with the items in the room as that's oour accent color, but am not feeling too confident about the ones I've been viewing.

Here's a traditional one I'm liking. http://www.lowes.com/pd_353916-29558-97067_4294856544__?productId=3370200&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1

The rug behind the couch will not stay, btw.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
nadine designer touch
I think that is a little too traditional for the feel of the room. I would probably go with a more solid center and decorative on the border of the rug. In that case you have beauty of both world. color wise I think more Sage green. That is what I see in your art work. Unless it's not that color. and I will pull some of that color in the pillows for the sofa too.
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 11:58AM
pdrmant
Yeah, Nadine. Didn't have the painting when we bought the pillows and stuff. You're pretty right on with the sage green. Maybe it's a little darker than straight up sage, but I like the idea. Now to find a rug like you described! Any ideas for where I should hunt? Thanks!
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 12:09PM
AMN
overstock.com has a huge rug collection. I like what you've done with the room so far.
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 12:42PM
pdrmant
Oh, yeah... Overstock. Forgot about them. Thanks, AMN. We're on our way.
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 12:55PM
nadine designer touch
Also home good. They have great selections of area rugs. and very good pricing. bad thing is they don't last too long. When you see it grab it.
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 1:40PM
Stanton Designs-online design services
I think the rug would look great in this space. It is a little more traditional, but the great thing about design is mixing styles and making them work. I have no problem with a busier pattern like the one you choose since your room is more simple.
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 2:18PM
pdrmant
Going to try Home Goods and The Dump in Irving tomorrow. I really like the worn in look of some of the rugs I'm seeing that cost much more. Is that a look that comes with better materials? Silk?
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 6:56PM
Jullian Beige Shag Rug
This rug and a little bit of French blue for le palais!

Green Toile Pillow
1 Like   October 6, 2012 at 7:06PM
Laura Moore
From my experience of having a dog and rug. Make sure it's not dark or red. It shows all dog hair.
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 7:08PM
Laura Moore
Go to dollar general and get a rug pad for the rug behind the couch.
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 7:10PM
meaz_89
It depends what colors you like and what you are attracted to. What ever rug you do choose I would also pick up a couple coordinating pillows that will also do there part to lighten up the space. Is there burnt red/orange/brown in the picture behind the sofa? (might be my eyes) http://www.target.com/p/threshold-feather-embroidery-decorative-pillow/-/A-14081574 http://www.target.com/p/surfside-indoor-outdoor-area-rug-aqua/-/A-13391543 http://www.target.com/p/home-copper-home-linen-suede-copper/-/A-13849942
1 Like   October 6, 2012 at 8:03PM
dcer
I agree that you should introduce rust and sage green accent pillows, and a rug with those colors! Good luck.
1 Like   October 6, 2012 at 8:31PM
rawketgrl
What about something like this...I love the colors in your room!
1 Like   October 6, 2012 at 8:54PM
Laura Moore
Love it!! It's perfect.
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 9:28PM
rawketgrl
That rug is at Ikea and is only 300$ :)
0 Likes   October 6, 2012 at 9:30PM
pdrmant
Judy, awesome! Tying in the French. Thanks for the suggestion.

Laura, thanks for the dog hair advice.

Meaz_89, it's hard to ID that color, even in person, but yes, there are those tones. My wife is so adamantly opposed to reds! This might be a tough sell. But I like the suggestion.

Rawket, I like that rug as an alternative to traditional. It's fun and the colors would match everything we've got in the room right now. Kind of small, though.
0 Likes   October 7, 2012 at 8:07AM
Whether or not your original rug choice was too traditional or not for the room, I just wanted to weigh in to say that blend of colors and light tones you picked is perfect for camouflaging your lovely golden retriever's shedding. We have been amazed at the difference in our house between the brighter, darker rugs in our living room (which show everything and look terrible a day after they've been vacuumed) and the much lighter oriental in our TV room (where the dogs spend the most time), which seems to match their hair perfectly and looks just fine between vacuumings. So keep your dog's light color in mind when making your choice, whether traditional or contemporary, unless you are a big fan of vacuuming.
0 Likes   October 7, 2012 at 8:36AM
pdrmant
feeny, thanks very much for the dog-friendly advice! She and the boy photo-bomb every picture I take, and I guess this time it was a good thing.
1 Like   October 7, 2012 at 9:06AM
As far as I'm concerned every photograph is enhanced by the presence of a dog wandering into it!
0 Likes   October 7, 2012 at 9:10AM
Final Design Home Staging and Redesign
I think a bright colorful rug would pull the room together. I would love to see a chevron patterned rug! Be sure that it is large enough so that the furniture is completely on the rug, not just the front legs of a couch or chair! Looking good :)
0 Likes   October 7, 2012 at 9:54AM
hueann
I think a burnt orange patterned or red . Make sure it's big enought to catch the feet of all the furniture don't like a floating look.it should anchor the room. Enjoy the journey make it fun and take along a friend and every time you look at it you will think about the day you bought it and will be like a old friend in your home that comforts and warms your heart as well as your feet . Good luck can't wait to see what y'all decide on ! And yeah I'm from the South , God bless !
PS your dog will love anything you get
0 Likes   October 7, 2012 at 10:03AM
pdrmant
Thanks, all for the advice. I LOVE Houzz! We are leaving for a couple of stores now...
0 Likes   October 7, 2012 at 10:20AM
pdrmant
Well, no luck today. We did, however, find out that we need to start saving up as our taste in rugs seems to have us leaning more towards a $1000 price point. Got lots of knowledge today, though, so we'll use that moving forward. I just don't think we can find a rug we want to live with for $300.
0 Likes   October 7, 2012 at 2:53PM
www.rugsdirect.com have large selection at reasonable prices. They are good about returns too. Check this one out. http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/129464/TransOceanImports/Seville/MosaicStripe/Blue962503
0 Likes   October 7, 2012 at 3:43PM
pdrmant
Thanks, Darzy. I'll check out the links...
0 Likes   October 7, 2012 at 4:03PM
pdrmant
OK, think I've found the solution that will hopefully last a few years until we can get one that suits our taste. It's basically the cheapest we could find. Not very Houzzy, I know. But at least we'll have a place for the dog to lay down.
http://www.amazon.com/Beige-Traditional-Isfahan-Wool-Persian/dp/B00792C8O8/ref=sr_1_2?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1349830524&sr=1-2&keywords=area+rugs
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 5:58PM
hueann
Ok we need pics !
0 Likes   October 9, 2012 at 6:14PM
Passion of Persia
I have a few room size Persian rugs for about 500' inquiry at www.passionofpersia.com
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 10:50PM
little01jk
one nice brown long stringed rug
0 Likes   October 21, 2012 at 10:55PM
Passion of Persia
I have one I can let go for fairly inexpensive, and I think it will adore the space you have for it. Give me a week to hunt it down in our 5000 rugs inventory and I will post here for you. www.facebook.com/passionofpersiarugrepair
0 Likes   October 22, 2012 at 7:19AM
pdrmant
Bought this one at a local store, and though I like the style and think the colors match up pretty well to most of our items, it's just too small.
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 12:50PM
pdrmant
So... I'm going to exchange it for this more traditional one with similar colors. It's a foot bigger all around (10x14). I'll post a pic of the room soon...
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 12:55PM
Cynthia Hamil
Does your dog shed? If so-- why fight nature? Go with a color that harmonizes with the color of dog hair.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 1:47PM
pdrmant
Cynthia, yes she sheds, but only for a few more years ; )
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 2:46PM
Cynthia Hamil
If I owned a designer shop, I would call it "Hair of the Dog Interiors"-- LOL... I love my dogs. If one passed away, it would quickly be replaced... I would make a commitment based on your dog. Find a rug that harmonizes with the hair... just in case you have unexpected company-- and don't have time to dash through the house sweeping up hair! (Life is too short to worry about things that you can't always control!)
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 2:49PM
pdrmant
She's not a horrendous shedder, but does her share. The boy may someday get a puppy, so that's something to consider...
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 2:54PM
Cynthia Hamil
I like the rug that you found-- I didn't see this pic at first, but I really like this! It looks like your boy and the dog are very bonded! That is cool to see! I love pets-- they add so much to our lives!
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 3:03PM
pdrmant
OK, folks. Here's the final rug (under ugly yellow lights). It's a hand made, tufted one from India. It has a blemish, but is under the couch and about .005% of the rug is affected. We got it at 60% off at a local rug outlet store here in Arlington, TX. But best of all, Mommy loves it! However, we now need lots of new stuff to go with the rug. Pandora's box, right? Thanks to all for your input. And if you have any room accent colors or other suggestions, keep 'em coming.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 5:41PM
pdrmant
Cynthia, the boy likes the dog because he feels he can boss her around. ; )
He loves her because she is a dog.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 5:43PM
Help pls. Can't decide on a rug
Hi, I have an open plan family room that I'm looking...
Love both these rugs and can't decide. Vote for your favorite!
I have been looking for a new area rug for my living...
Can't decide on a rug or drapes. How do I choose a color?
I'm really struggling with deciding on drapes and a...
Can't decided on rug
We've only been in our house for about a year. And...
Can't decide on a rug!
I am decorating my husband's office as a surprise....
Help with Kitchen update
This is a home I currently have listed and am looking...
Help with garage/curb appeal
We have a 1955 ranch. We need help with the street-side...
basement needs style!
We have a large basement area that needs style help....
need help with trimand door color
we painted the walls of our Tahoe home Taupe Tone by...
What to do with this ugly brick hearth
Trying to update this room. Am planning on painting...