Office Nook in Master Bedroom
Lisa Williams
Hi All,
I'm looking to redesign and purchase new office furniture to create a more cohesive and functional work/office nook in my master bedroom. There is currently a nightstand, very small desk and end table combined as a make-shift work space. I would like a larger desk/work surface and better chair than the ottoman I am currently using.
Any advice or thoughts you can share to make the best use of this corner would be much appreciated. Please also note that is surrounded by windows and a sliding glass door, so not much wall space for a bulletin board, etc. Thanks so much!
Move the bedside table under the window. It is great and is a nice counterpart for your bed. Put a desk and chair at foot of your bed.
October 7, 2012 at 6:41pm     
Arka Treasures
remove the nightstand on this side of the bed and place a bigger desk under the window
October 7, 2012 at 6:48pm     
I think I'd try a table desk on the left of the bed and use as your desk and a side table. Save some space and then you can use your pretty lamp there.
October 7, 2012 at 6:54pm   
Here's a photo of what I was suggesting...

October 7, 2012 at 6:55pm   
Lisa Williams
Great feedback so far, I will probably replace all the mismatched pieces with a desk and chair as shown in the photo above...and have the desk also function as a nightstand!
I love the desk at the foot of the bed but I already have a bench there and the bed faces an armoire with the TV in it, and that's really the only spot where the armoire fits. Definitely, a note-worthy idea for the future though, should I move :)
Please keep the comments coming!
October 7, 2012 at 7:19pm     
Melissa Doan - Weidel Realtors - New Hope
You may have already checked out Ikea, which, while I wouldn't use for every project, might be really appropriate for this one! I like the idea of the flip top on this desk which is a great alternative to the hung bulletin board - If it fits, this might be nice in additional to another small stationary table on which to place your computer. http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/small_spaces/small_living_room.htm
Also, I really love so many of the solutions offered on this site: http://norcalfurniture.net/office/ .... If I was putting a desk in that nook I would likely choose a piece from this site and then either custom make a comfy chair with built in storage under the seat or find one to coordinate with one of the desks.
October 7, 2012 at 7:34pm     
jrickerdesigns
I'm with some of the others who suggest looking for one larger piece to place next to the bed. A single statement is always more cohesive than multiple small pieces. I'd look for something like a writing desk or vanity table if you don't need too much file space. This will look the most appropriate for a bedroom and still fully serve your need for more desk space. It will also allow for your decorative lamp and provide space for a nice chair, maybe something with a decorative wood frame and a cushioned seat. If you need further filing space you could consider a wall file system. Many companies sell them (Ballard Designs for sure) and they are decorative wall mounted racks that have several 'pockets' stacked vertically for files. I've even used them leaning on the wall but resting on the floor, which might work well since you have so much window space (I am picturing it placed to the left of the added desk leaning against the wall/window that currently has the desk with the computer and ottoman. Good luck!! and, I love your bedding!
October 7, 2012 at 7:34pm     
Empty nook in master bedroom
I have a decently sized master bedroom. ample closet...
What to do with "nursery"/"office" space attached to master bedroom??
We have a very large master bedroom and two walk-in...
Need help redecorating small writer's/office nook!
I want to surprise my boyfriend by redecorating this...
Office nook help
So I have an office nook in the bedroom and have faced...
Office nook help
Property Line Disputes?
Ever have any issues with neighbors and property lines?...
shoes everywhere
Please give me ideas on where to store family shoes...
What colors with white Wassily
I have a white wassily and a black & white cowhide...
Unplug for the day
Would you ever be able to go throughout your entire...
1970 facelift
We are trying to creatively redesign the front of our...