Hallway colour

eunice600October 8, 2012
North facing hallway that needs an injection of colour and warmth any thoughts? Very dark but gets lighter as you go up the stairs
Look at BM secluded beach 899. This is a good north light color and particularly for your stairway. It will change as needed when the light hits the wall differently. If you are thinking of blue, try BM crystal blue 2051-70.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 11:01AM
Christine
I think you need to add pops of color. Pictures and paintings on the wall going up and fabulous runner on the stairs and I would find a white sculputure or something in metal for the art niche at the top. something to draw the eye up. As for color. Lemony yellow is calling to me. or a spicy pumpkin color or a limey green or a pale sea blue
    Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 11:37AM
julie1446
Try hanging a large mirror (or for an arty version get several mirrors or various shapes, sizes and designs) on the wall going up the stairs. This will help reflect the light coming from the landing area and bounce around the darker lower hallway. Also there are different light reflective paint types with you could look into. they come in various shades so you can choose what suits you.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 12:18PM
pcmom1
Butter yellow helped my dark hallway!

And, right now you have just three very small art pieces going up the stairs. Why not frame some (6 or 7) of your favorites of the kids' art? I like the ones of the blue whale, the tree with the bright yellow background, the red castle (?), vase, poem with the hand print...

And, for some contrast, paint the top of each step in a glossy black.
    Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 12:52PM
eunice600
thank you all for your comments. @Julie I forgot to mention that the children's art wall will be a mirror soon now that there won't be little hand prints all over it. This may bounce some light around. I was thinking of a warm sagey green which would work well with the oak wood but I need some drama!! It's funny looking at the pictures totally gives you a different perspective of the room. I now think I need to paint the front door in a pale color... @Judy I like the shade secluded beach def dont want blue - the tester pots were nothing like the shade on the charts... @Christine def agree re pops of color - baby's feet are going into another room. @ pcmom yellow would definitely brighten it up
    Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 1:08PM
HI --- It should not matter that the hall is dark . You don't live in the hall , you only pass through it. Work with the dark . I think a darker strong paint color or a patterned wall paper , or large 2 ft. horizontal stripes , to set it apart from the rest of the house . Add some track lights for affect . Do groupings of pictures instead of having them stepped up the stairs . Move the kids art displays to their rooms . Halls are small and that family clutter just adds to the smallness. Find a hall runner rug and the stair runner . Move a mirror to an area closer to the front door for last minute checking with a small table or shelf for a landing spot for keys , mail etc.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 1:09PM
Entry and hallway paint colour
My entry and hallway including up the stairs is very...
pennymariejames
Need help picking Flor tiles for long hallway...
Need help picking FLOR tiles for a long hallway with...
newtofurniture
Wall colour for living room
I am repainting my living and dining rooms. My furniture...
radj
Looking for colour suggestions for LR and DR please
Im giving this another go since I have not had anyone...
rturino
Hallway Colour to use with dark wood trim?
I am not sure what colour will work in my hallway with...
rob191986
Need need recommendations on splash material versus trim in tight spot
So I have decided to use subway tile as my back-splash...
oriddlero
First Home, style ideas
We just bought our first home (well, closing this week)...
kimbermenssen
Siding/shutter color options for 1970s orange brick
I'm wondering if there are any better siding/shutter...
abhousey
How can we change the look of this contemporary home?
My husband and I love this house, but we'd like the...
kaz1212