Need help with gameroom layout.
karna6e
October 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We're trying to decide where to put the rough-ins for our unfinished basement. Right now, they're in the rear of the room, but to me that doesn't seem to make sense since it takes away the ability to use that side of the room as a TV room/game room.

We're already moving the heater and furnace to in-line with the stairs (so they'd be on the opposite wall). Does it make sense to put the rough-ins for the powder room along that same wall as well.

This seems like this would be a typical game room layout, does anyone have any advice where to put these?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Emily Hurley
Hi there, Did you find a solution and move forward on your project? I feel like my instinct is to move the powder room further towards the stairs, but I'm curious what you came up with. Would love to see!
November 13, 2012 at 5:09pm   
karna6e
Hi Emily,
I decided to keep it against the back wall, but moved it to the other side. Whereas in the pic above, it's right-aligned, I made it left-aligned in the final design. To you point, I'm trying to keep all the utilities on that side of the room, but I didn't want a bathroom in the middle of the room to break up the flow of the room. Especially since I'm not sure how it will be set up going forward. I felt this way would give me the most flexibility. Thanks for asking!
November 14, 2012 at 5:41am   
PRO
Sanford Architects
Not sure what you want to put in the room for gaming, but it looks like you may be able to fit the furnace, water heater, and powder room under the stair. See the attached sketch. Looks like you'd have around a 11'-0" wide space that would open up in the rear for a tv area. This wouldn't be enough room for a pool table (typically you need a room thats 14 feet by 18 feet minimum), but if your looking for a tv/video game setup this could work. Hope this helps.
November 14, 2012 at 6:17am   
karna6e
Okay, thank you. That is very helpful to see it that way. I was worried that the powder room would come out too far into the room, but I like this setup better. Thank you so much!
November 14, 2012 at 7:40am