Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwaysonabudget

Need design suggestions for a ceramic subway to match my gold toned granite.

alwaysonabudget
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Hello,

I am looking to replace a travertine backsplash that took on a pink/orange tone now it is up on the wall.
After a long and exhausting search at many, many stone choices, I have decided on and am looking for a simple ceramic subway tile to replace it. I have darker brown maple cabinetry and darker brown maple wood floors so pulling a darker color from the granite, I believe, is not an option. I would like to stay away from the gold tones as well as I am looking for a brighter, cleaner look than what I have now and feel there is more than enough gold in the granite. I want simple and easy so that I can change the other design elements in the room as my mood changes.

I have samples of Grazia Rixi in Crema, which up until today I thought would be THE one but was gently discouraged by a tile person with many years experience that felt I may be making the same mistake again with that particular tile. He thought he possibly saw a hint of pink once it was up against my granite.

He suggested more of an off white tile vs. the cream color in the samples shown below. The overall granite 'tone' is best depicted in the middle close up photo, however that was taken near a section that seemed to have more cream tones in it, whereas there are some areas of the granite where there is very little.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank You!

Comments (8)

• betsyanderson
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I disagree, I just think you picked the wrong tile -- I don't like the size or washed out color. I think a subway tile like this would work:

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Note the contrasting grout which can help pick up some of the warmth in the granite. Also, a subway tile with a richer color like this could work:

English Tudor Kitchen · More Info
  • alwaysonabudget
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    There are actually some beautiful Italian ceramic tiles that have some gorgeous crackle and hand painted finishes on them. Color/tone aside, there are issues with a few areas of the lower mosaic hygiene wise so unfortunatly it does need to be removed. All stones, it seems that because they are a product of nature, have the wrong undertone for the yellow/gold in the granite. I feel like I have visited and revisited the options and I have come full circle. It's a frustrating process for sure!

If done correctly, there are some beautiful ceramic subway backsplashes to be had, finding the perfect color and tone is a whole other story! LOL

We did change out the bulbs to LED lighting.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    How about a cream tile with darker grout?
    Microhouse fremont cottage - reclaimed fir cabinets · More Info
  • alwaysonabudget
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I am sorry I haven't been able to get back here sooner, thank you for all the replies! My computer access has been spotty lately and it's really hard to type on the teeeeeeeeeeeny tiny screen Houzz message reply box that shows up on my iPhone. O_o

betseyanderson - Thank you so much for the pictures. Both pictures are exactly what I am looking for. I have the square tiles for samples just for color purposes, I am absolutely going to be using subway shape for the replacement. For some reason I need to give the colored grout idea some time to grow on me a little longer. I don't know know if it stems from having white ceramic tile counters long ago and the constant upkeep of the keeping the grout white (so maybe I am thinking a colored grout looks dingy?) or what...maybe it's the busy look that isn't drawing me in? I don't know. I do like the looks of the richer colored tile. If you have any other pictures in mind, send them on! Thanks again. :)

Darzy - I am going to a more upscale tile place today to see if I can get some ideas on tile and grout color from the staff. Maybe if I see a team of tile and grout that matches great I can get past the
    hesitancy that I have towards a darker grout. I need to look outside the box as I am really narrowing my choices this way...

Here is another upclose picture of my granite that depicts it's overall tone and color pretty accurately. It is paired with the lighter tile as it was taken last week, however hopefully seeing the colors in the granite up close will help to spark some ideas!
  • Heather Petrone
    6 years ago

I’m dealing with the same issue as you! I hate my gold tone granite but it’s good quality and don’t want to replace. I’m going with white subway tile and very thin pewter grout lines. Will attach a pic of something I found online in a sec

• Heather Petrone
    6 years ago

• Heather Petrone
    6 years ago

How did yours come out what did you do