Cathedral style kitchen doors
110ang
i bought my first house and i have a solid oak kitchen with a cathedral style kitchen doors. curved from top which makes it a country look. which is not exactly my type i like more contempory style.i wasn't thinking of changing the kitchen doors cause that would be a bit expensive and considering it's a 10 years old it's not worth it. what can i do to give it that bit of a contempory style? like changing backsplah,knobs.... i.m confused
Painting the cabinets a more contemporary might be an option.

October 10, 2012 at 6:22am     
110ang
thanks for that great idea Dytecture! yes i'm sure painting the cabinets would give the kitchen a better look. i have to think wisely on which colour to choose since the topcounter is black/green/grey colour...... then i need to see what material to choose for the backsplash.thanks again :-)
October 10, 2012 at 6:34am   
Walker Woodworking
Do you have any pictures? You could change out hardware and back splash but I know exactly the type of doors you are describing and it's not just the door style but also the oak cabinets themselves that give it a 'country' feel.
October 10, 2012 at 6:35am   
110ang
i will try to upload a pic to get a better look. yes you're absolutley right. at first i was going to buy a new kitchen but considering that it's a solid kitchen and not used much. i decided to keep. but MUST do some alterations here and there to get rid of that 'country' feel.
October 10, 2012 at 6:50am   
110ang
Kitchen
October 10, 2012 at 7:06am   
Sheryl Horton
If you are going to paint, consider replacing the doors only. In addition to local cabinet makers, there are many sites to order replacement doors for DYI, as well as companies that specialize in door replacement. Add a simple crown & light rail. Consider painting the island an accent color with a contrasting countertop. It's small & you could probably find a remnant . You would then have a "new kitchen to suite your tastes.
October 10, 2012 at 7:17am   
110ang
yes, if the paint and all the stuff and time you require to actual paint the doors amounts to the same amount of money, i would consider buying new ones ready with the colour that fits with the countertop. good point!
October 10, 2012 at 7:36am   
lessismoore
The back splash looks like it is just a plain white tile? Will you definitely be replacing that?
I'd be more inclined to have the doors "refaced" with a plainer style, eliminating the cathedral shaped ones - than replacing the back tiles.

But beyond the cathedral shape, (and I have one of those in a bathroom cabinet that is otherwise very nice, but it bugs me every time I look at it!) It's really the dark wood that makes the kitchen look country/dated.

Paint would be the least "painful" renovation. I wonder what a nice Martha-Stewart-esque soft gray would be like? Maybe with some of the bottom cabinets a tone off say a greenish gray, to key into your existing counter colors. The more mono-tonal you can keep this - the bigger/fresher that room will feel.

link: Color palette in greys/greens/buffs ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/8230585@N06/3414194807/lightbox/

Gray cabinets: http://peopleandplacesandthings.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/cabinets-finished.jpg

Additionally, you could have a few of the above doors removed completely and have open shelving - (painted) with some white/buff/ceramic display dishes/pottery.

Open shelving with paint and pottery
http://homerenovations.about.com/od/kitchencabinets/ss/Painted-Kitchen-Cabinet-Ideas_7.htm
Add a table covering, some coir rugs ...

Best of luck. It's all doable!
October 10, 2012 at 7:50am   
110ang
the back splash it's small plain white tile. the small tiles gives the kitchen that country look. thanks for the color palette, will definatley go for those colours since the floor tile is also white/greyish. i like the idea of removing some of the above door cabinets that would sure gives a 'different' style. yes considering that it's that cathedral style that bugs me i better get rid of that than spend almost the same amount of money on other things such as painting and changing backspalsh. and at the end would still bugs me.
October 10, 2012 at 8:07am     
lessismoore
Would love to see a follow up photo when you finish.
October 10, 2012 at 9:54am   
Ideas Please On Staircase
Contemporary home with staircase that's too rustic...
Need help with dining room chairs!
Hi! I'm looking for help on picking our my dining room...
Help me find a paint match to this ikea sivik gray couch
I'm looking for a gray paint that would match (not...
How to accessorize a white desk...
I finally bought the west elm parsons desk in white....