Which Fireplace
chelseamrk
My husband and I just moved to a new house. The house was built in 1969 however has been slightly updated by previous owners.
The issue here is we are starting renovations and have removed the ugly surround of the gas fireplace that previous owners have put it. My husband wants a fireplace with brick on the bottom and I want something that fits more with the style of the house. We are at a standstill with not being able to come to a compromise. Please help!
The first pictures of the brick fireplaces is what my husband likes.
The second pictures are what I like.
chelseamrk
I couldn't add anymore than 4 photos at a time but here is a picture of the living room. And we will be painting the walls a seattle grey and the built in shelving at the hallway white
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 4:37PM
What is the style of your home? I would go in that direction. Or perhaps you could compromise with your husband's choice of brick or stone on the bottom, and your choice of a clean mantel with tv above.
2 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 4:40PM
Jamieson
Would something similar to this work as a compromise?

11 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 4:56PM
Good one Jamieson!
2 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 4:58PM
chelseamrk
Here are some photos of the house.
-The dining room set is new, I like the wallpaper and will keep, however paint the trim of the mirrors on the wall white because some idiot glued them to the wall. And change the chandlier to something lower hanging and more modern and preferably in a nickel or silver
-The photo is of the upstairs bath, we will be getting a quartz countertop in a white and white subway tile around the wall with a white grout as well as add a glass door to the tub instead of curtain
- This shelving is in the office and will be painted white with the back being a contrast colour. The hinges and handles will be changed to something more updated and the decorative pieces on the doors will be taken off and sanded.
- The last photo is what all of the closet doors in the bedrooms look like. They're nice and will be keeping them, still deciding on whether or not I should stain them darker.

There is not much character in the house I just feel a lot of brick might be overwhelming in the living room space.

Hope this helps
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:00PM
anitajoyce
You both have a difficult choice. I like them all!
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:04PM
You need to be unbelievably careful painting those mirror frames. If one drop of paint finds its way under the frame it will be reflected in the mirror. Been there, done that.

You have quite a bit of wood in your home. The wood tone on the second pic's mantel seems to match your dining room set. Sorry, I would go that way.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:07PM
michigammemom
I'm seeing a quite contemporary white sofa in the room and you mention the addition of a modern light fixture in the dining room. Although I do love the traditional white painted surrounds you are leaning toward, I think the first cream colored, stacked stone may be more in keeping with the decor of the home.
3 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:12PM
chelseamrk
lol, well that's not what I wanted to hear. When we paint we are planning on painting all the trim and baseboards white for a more modern look
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:12PM
I know, I'm sorry. Just tell him you're giving in IF you get to decorate the bedroom all by yourself. Then paint it pink!
1 Like   October 10, 2012 at 5:14PM
chelseamrk
yes i see the first picture of the fireplaces as the compromise
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:14PM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi chelseamrk, marie here. Your husbands choice of stone cladding to the ceiling is a current builder basic. Not complimentary to the age or style of your 1969 home.

If you want design success you need to always nod toward the style of the year your home was built - in your case, it needs to have a mid-century modern vibe to it.

What I think would be a winning combination for you both would be to use the stone you like Chelsea, but to install it right to the ceiling without hearth, and without fireplace mantle. So, like photo #1 attached below - you would be getting that winning combination of the idea your husband likes, the colours you like nodding to the style of fireplace that would have been installed in your home in 1969!

I've attached some typical mid-century modern fireplace surrounds - to help keep you on track with your fireplace reno.

Re your wood partition in the entryway - I love the wood & shelves, but not the centre window thing - that should be removed.

win/win/WIN! Good luck in your project - and keep us posted!
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:15PM
chelseamrk
haha Bobbi P sadly he does not care about that room, it is the man cave he'll care about that. And we've already agreed on tile and colour for that
2 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:18PM
calikym
i like the first fireplace best but do you need to also hang a flat panel tv? If so, then i would consider something different since the mantel is so high.
1 Like   October 10, 2012 at 5:19PM
chelseamrk
Marie I like the fireplace with the sunburst clock, however I feel this look is too large scale. We just have regular height ceilings and this design might overwhelm the space not compliment it. I do like midcentury modern pieces and design, I just never thought my house fit that description.

Calikym, I do have to hang a TV but only to please my husband. He has his eye on a 50". I don't plan on ever really watching TV in this room as we have 3 others in the house. The TV is more for occasions when family gets together.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:32PM
FP #1 seems like a bit of both of you.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 5:37PM

Your fireplace is on the short wall and, as there is nothing going on in the room, you need to focus on the entire wall, not just the fireplace. Floor to ceiling, wall to wall, make the whole space the focal point.
1 Like   October 10, 2012 at 5:52PM
KOUBOO
This most probably not what you want to hear but I think the current fireplace is not that bad at all. Especially given how far apart you and your husband are. I would agree with Judyg above that focusing on the surrounding might make the current solution more palatable to both of you. From mantle decoration, possibly a small piece of art (even a flat screen TV - not my favorite but practical), a log basket, shelving unites on the left and right etc. might very well do the trick.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 10:09PM
Diane Mazefsky
I like the first photo, as well as the mid-centuries that someone above posted. I think the traditonal ones would look great in an older home. I have one like that in my old house; I am restoring a midcentury and the fireplaces are like the ones in the midcentury photos, and the lower level more rustic modern, has the stacked stone, and as muchas I live my traditional surround in the house I live now, it would look boring in the midcentury.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 11:12PM
Diane Mazefsky
You will get more architectural interest if you stay someone with the era of the home, and add your warmth through color, fabric, art, rather than trying to put features from another era in the main structures.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 11:14PM
Diane Mazefsky
By the way, having lived in big old houses always, it was challenging to buy a 60's home and go this different path, but it really works when you start with the house itself and its era as your guide. Your photos show a lot of potential for using elements of
midcentury, zen, modern, rustic simplicity as the framework.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 11:18PM
Diane Mazefsky
What about painting the mirrors a metal in one of the tones from the wallpaper if you are keeping them. White is less a neutral when you already have the colors in the wallpaper and the dark wood DR furniture. The white might distract rather than disappear.
0 Likes   October 10, 2012 at 11:22PM
chelseamrk
ok so fireplace is up painted and tiled. We went with a medium-thin random stacks porcelain tile that is a whitish grey colour with slight veins. It looks great just struggling to find a solid piece of wood for the mantle. And waiting for the crown moulding to come in. I can take a picture as it is so far as I think the moulding and mantle will take some time to find/come in. It was stressful but well worth it! And then on to the next room!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 10:44PM
chelseamrk
Ok here it is. Still needs crown moulding down and when thats being done the hubby will hide the cords in the wall
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 2:12PM
chelseamrk
also at a loss now for what to put on either side of the fireplace if anything
0 Likes   March 23, 2013 at 2:16PM
Diane Mazefsky
Love the fireplace!
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 12:58AM
Diane Mazefsky
Can you build a very simple set of floating shelves on each side out of the same wood as the mantel, or paint them the fireplace color? They would bolt into the wall so that you see nothing but the shelves, very simple.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 12:59AM
chelseamrk
Thank you. Floating shelves is a great idea however maybe too modern a look to fit in with the rest of the house
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 7:51AM
bevballew
Fun watching progress. Just posting so I can watch progress.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 8:09AM
chelseamrk
Thanks, Bevballew. But the progress is nearly done. Just putting the final touches on the room. Heres the posting of when we bought the house and how it looked with the previous owners.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 8:31AM
Diane Mazefsky
I enlarged your photo and saw the crown moulding. Didn't realize it was there and wondered what you meant. I thought it was a midcentury. If you like the moulding, then the floating shelves wouldn't work.
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 10:27AM
alwaysdesigning
My husband and I are compromising as well. He is getting the stonework he likes and I am adding hearth extended window seats that extend on each side of the fireplace under the windows on each side. I am attaching some photos that may work for you both. Good luck.
[houzz=town hall]
[houzz=Vancouver: Connie+Nick]
[houzz=Austin Patterson Disston Architects]
[houzz=Living Room]
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 10:38AM
bevballew
More fun. I did not have to watch progress but just scroll thru. Looks very nice. I was assuming progress as to what to put on each side of fp. Thanks for responding! Looks very nice!
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 11:53AM
Diane Mazefsky
Oh! (re:above)....what about built-in seats on either side, great fabrics/color on the pillows, and then art work above?
0 Likes   March 24, 2013 at 1:00PM
Need advice for powder room decore
What should I do powder room ceiling lighting and vanity...
salvage wood flooring in 1932 home
Most of my floors are wood, I already refinished the...
Kitchen knobs for traditional cabinets.
I am buying this condo and the cabinets are traditional...
Need help with the brick paint color that match the roof and design
I personally like to paint it white or light grey but...