Please help with furniture arrangement in living/dining area
liannetracy
Hi everyone! I just bought my first home and I have an awesome living space that I want to make the best of. This community has such great ideas, so please share!! I am planning on buying all new furniture, and the dining room light fixture has since been returned to the previous owner, so it's a real clean slate! Design and decor ideas are welcome too. Thanks so much!!
Elise
Either sofa with loveseat or 2 armchairs to start. Float sofa 4 feet in from LH wall with 2 chairs facing tv space and one in window corner. Anchor with 10 by 12 rug and coffee table. You don't want to block entry into living room. Don't get too large a sofa. A 6 footer should be enough.
October 10, 2012 at 5:38pm     
Please post a sketch of room with dimensions marked for walls, doorways, fireplace, etc. Please do not buy a loveseat, EVER! But I will rain praises upon you for buying a sofa of about 7 to 7.5' in length and no deeper than 39" plus a couple of chairs. If you'll post those room dimensions, I'll tell you more precisely what furniture I think you need.
October 10, 2012 at 5:54pm   
Manon Floreat
Congratulations - beautiful space. Do you plan on having a TV in there? If so, I'd opt for a sofa with ottoman on the wall opposite the fireplace. The ottoman can be scooted over to simulate a chaise lounge. A swiveling swan chair to the left of the fireplace, a TV on a swivel in the niche between the selves and an area rug would round out the seating area.

What are you style preferences?
October 10, 2012 at 5:57pm     
Orchard Family Room A

Dreamy Whites
Do something like this. Sofa/sectional against the wall facing fireplace, anchored by a rug. Dining where it was with new (yeah) chandelier. Fill the bookcases with guess what? for a library effect and hang a huge, over the top mirror in the niche.
October 10, 2012 at 6:02pm     
Nancy Hehmann
Be sure to buy quality furniture. You will not regret it. They last and they are comfortable no matter what design you choose. I have a formal Drexel sofa but it has always been so comfie that my sons chose to sleep on it when they could not sleep and I used it to study on when getting my Masters Degree. They have a website which shows all the styles of sofas. You can choose the style and the fabric from any of their dealers. They list their dealers on their website.

I am sure it will help people to know what types of things you like and style such as modern or traditional, sectionals (which can be very comfortable) etc.

If you need new drapes, check out JCPenney.com they have a wonderful website for drapes if you are not going to do custom drapes. Target is a great place to look for area rugs on their website- they have more there than in their store.

Also, Etsy.com has a lot of home decor on its site which is unique and most of the time handcrafted by people from all over the US, Canada and other countries. Just put what you would like in the search engine. Each artisan has a "shop" and you can contact them directly. They have throw pillows, mirrors, photography, paintings etc. And you can check out my photography shop, nancyhehmann.

It is a good idea most of the time to choose neutral colors for your sofa because it is so expensive and then add pops of color via cushions and artwork and area rugs. The latter are less expensive and if you tire of them you can change them out easier. If you find a piece of artwork or photography that you really like then you can take a dominant color from it to use as an accent color.

Have fun!
October 10, 2012 at 6:11pm   
liannetracy
Thanks for all the fabulous ideas! I'm attaching a quick sketch of the measurements to help with the visualizations ;) My style is 'cozy', if that's a style... I also tend to favor earthy, natural, beach/cottage type decor. Oh, and yes, I'd like to get a TV in that recessed area between the built in bookshelves. Btw, should I paint those shelves?
October 10, 2012 at 7:03pm   
BarbaraKingRealty.com
a friend who had a small house had one safa and a chest for the coffee table and her eating area was also in the one large "living space" - she had two straight backed upholstered chairs with arms with a glas top round table - it was perfect for eating but didn't seem out of place in the 'living room'
October 10, 2012 at 7:14pm   
In drawing your furniture arrangement, I found that your first photo doesn't totally jibe with your sketch, so I made some guesses which I hope are more or less accurate. You have space for an 84" or 90" sofa, plus 3 chairs. It's important that you take your tape measure with you when you shop for furniture, as if you get larger chairs, you'll run into problems.

Your dining area should accommodate a 48" round table with 4 chairs. If you keep a couple of other small chairs handy, I think you'll be able to fit 6 at your table if your 4 chairs aren't huge. Please let me know if you have questions.
October 10, 2012 at 8:01pm     
P.S. Your bookcases would look great painted white.
October 10, 2012 at 8:03pm   
liannetracy
Thank you very much Carolyn. I love that layout. Sorry about my rough sketch, but I definitely think that furniture placement will work. I'll be sure to bring a measuring tape shopping with me. And I agree about the bookcases!
October 11, 2012 at 7:16am   
Elise
Liannetracy,
Definitely paint those shelves! A 48 inch round table would look great! If you like to have dinner parties, find a round table with leaves that expands to an oval, you could then angle the table and seat a larger party for holidays and entertaining. If your two armchairs facing the LR are smaller and moveable, they could be turned and used as end chairs for a dinner party.

According to your sketched measurements, there is a doorway on the RH arm of the sofa Carolyn placed for you. If you buy an 84 inch sofa, there isn't room for the standing lamp on the right and the end table on the LH side of the sofa. The doorway will be blocked. If you lose the end table and move the standing lamp to the LH side of the sofa there will be more room. Looks just like I thought it would! :)

Picture 2 has a lighted niche cut into wall between dining and living area. Check it out.

new project

Krahn Residence

Brookdale Nook

Dining areas

Ascher Davis Architects, LLP

Tommy Chow
October 11, 2012 at 10:14am     
Elise, you're absolutely correct about there not being space for the end table. That's the part of the plan I didn't understand as from photo 1 it looks like there'a return wall in that location and not a hallway. Thanks so very much for pointing this out. With 9'7" of space, when we subtract 12" for the bookshelves and 84" for the sofa, there will be only 19" of space around the sofa. So a couple of small floor lamps should serve well for lighting in that area.
October 11, 2012 at 10:36am   
Elise
Thanks Carolyn. I looked at those pictures and measurements several times to figure it out.

Liannetracy,
From your sketch it looks like the kitchen is closed off behind the wall facing out to the dining area. Do you want to open it up more? Consider ways to place windows into the wall leaving counterspace with a 1/2 wall( and a possible bar), or go for a more open concept after evaluating whether the wall is a bearing wall (talk to a contractor). I still like the niche idea as well.
October 11, 2012 at 10:45am   
Furniture arrangement for bedroom and L-shaped living/dining room HELP
I would like too hear some ideas on furniture arrangement...
Need help arranging furniture in small living/dining room space
Hi Fellow Houzzers, I am trying to figure out the...
Need help with my condo living/dining room area- furniture and paint??
I have a 2 bedroom condo overlooking a lake in a major...
BORING LIVING/DINING AREA NEEDS SOME SPRUCING UP, HELP PLEASE
Really seeking ideas on the two areas, if its either...
Please, I Need help with my living/dining room area
Hello, I am not sure what to do with my living/...
Need help picking out countertops!
I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and could really...
Help with accessorizing new media console
Hi, we recently purchased the PB printers collection...
Exterior color help?
I am repainting my home and I am having trouble finding...
Curtains or blinds: which is better to use? Also for bay windows. Pls
My house will finish ver soon. I must now decide whether...