Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
analauravila

i don t know how to decorate my teens room in coral or turquoise help me please!!!!!

analauravila
11 years ago
2 beds

Comments (24)

• houssaon
    11 years ago
    I'd remove the valance and the wallpaper boarder. The room should have a bed, dresser and mirror, night table and lamp, desk and chair. As well as some shelving for books and stuff.

I love this coral and melon room:
    Tineke triggs · More Info
    You could get all white furniture and coral colored patterned bedding. The matchstick blinds would work in the space:
    A High School Girl's Dream bedroom · More Info

Another room full of ideas:
    Finishing Touches Interiors By Deisgn, Inc. · More Info
    Punta del Este Beach House · More Info
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I hate to say it, but lovely as they are, I think you / your daughter will soon tire of both of those colours if you use them on the walls. I would go for a more neutral base colour on the walls, and use your coral or turquoise as accents. I like the way it's been done on the Punta del Este Beach House suggested by houssaon.
  • mmname
    11 years ago
    supper
  • summer_night5
    11 years ago
    After removing the border and painting the walls and ceiling with a good quality white or light neutral color paint, I'd paint the headboards the same color. If your girls would like a really feminine touch you can hang up a small round white mosquito netting curtain from the ceiling over each bed and drape them behind the headboards. If you can't remove the wooden valance, a white Roman shade over the window. If you can remove it, I'd put up a decorative white wooden rod and hang it about 8-10" below the ceiling and use white curtains that are floor length.

That leaves you free to put the bright colors in your quilts or bedspreads and some bright accent pillows. Most quilts or bedspreads are reversible which can give a little different look and are easier to change colors. A modern sculptural wall sconce near each corner would give a good reading light. A wooden or natural bamboo bookcase between the beds for baskets and bins and some sort of wild throw rug that feet would love.
  • livija
    11 years ago
    I think the window, curtain and borders are the gloomiest points here.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Hi analauravila, Here you go - two of my mood boards used for my clients attached.
    What you need to do is find your inspiration point - in a bedroom, it should be the bedding - then extract the accessories and paint from there.

Finishing Touches from Housson's referral of turquoise and lime green is actually "glowing", I prefer the more classic, timeless approach. Put the bursts of colour in your art and accessories - things that are easy to change. You can have lots of fun and make an amazing room with accessories.

You also need to make it "age appropriate" my mood boards lend themselves to teen-adult, where I believe your daughter is much younger. Which means, she's going to outgrow her tastes pretty much yearly.
    Don't go too far with the permanent decorations...

Good Luck!
  • Donald
    11 years ago
    I'd remove the wallpaper and paint the whole room white, including the valence, attach some Velcro along the top of the valance and cover it with a fabric the girls love, make matching curtains, can all be no sew with iron on hem taping. White duvets, maybe monogrammed and throw pillows in their colors they choose. Cute girly chandelier like PB Teen sells. So any changes to what they like in the future would only require some new pillows and some new curtains but the colors all stand out against the white
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    Go to Houzz IDEABOOKS. Put "turquoise teen room" in the search box. Then do the same thing for "coral teen room."
  • Gretchen125
    11 years ago
    I recently redid the master bedroom in turquoise and burnt orange. I originally was thinking coral too, but thought orange would be a little more husband-friendly :) LOVE it! I also had to remove wallpaper (walls, ceilings, closets)! Used SW Raindrop paint, white furniture and colorful bedding, including the orange. I say, go for it. After all, it's only paint and if you, or they tire of it..change it. The turquoise is so calming and I'm glad I didn't go neutral! I've attached a pic. Best of luck!
  • PRO
    Pam Ozment Designs
    11 years ago
    Although all the comments above are good, everybody know you get the most bang for your buck for the least amount of money with paint. Let them have those turquoise walls!!! So what if they want something else in a few years...it's just paint!
    Get rid of those ruffled curtains and that border, paint the walls a tasteful shade of turquoise (easier to pull off than coral) and paint the headboards/furniture white. Do some washable matelasse coverlets or simple white duvets, and bring on the coral and turquoise (and maybe apple green) accents in pillows, sheets, and accessories.
    Have fun! They will love it.
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    Hi again. I found at least one or two...
    Go to IDEABOOKS at the top of this page. Enter "Girl's Bedroom Design: Tips for Playful and Tasteful Spaces."
    Another one: enter "Tween-Age Daydream." The second photo has nice alcoves for two beds in the same room, in coral.
  • laurahahe
    11 years ago
    You need very little bright colors to make the room pop. I would paint the walls white or a lighter gray, paint the headboards out in a white or gray and have mostly white accessories. Then put the color in the bedding, curtains and a few strategically placed accents throughout the room.
  • clauswomann
    11 years ago
    Hi... If they picked coral and turquoise, why not combine the two... they're both ocean colours...
  • mccutcheon1
    11 years ago
    Hi! I agree with Pam Ozment that paint gives the most bang for the buck. I also like her recommendation to make the bedding white. A white bed always looks inviting and restful. And you can use white denim, too : it goes in the washer, it's practically indestructible, and looks simple and comfortable.

As to color, I had a turquoise bedroom in childhood, tired of it quickly, and can hardly stand to look at it now.

In the last few weeks, I have been looking for a pink to warm up a hallway. I ended up with an ethereal coral, Valspar's Apricot Ice.

I got to that shade searching for a good match to a color on Martha Stewart's website. Here is the URL: http://www.marthastewart.com/274412/natural-palette/@center/276988/painting-ideas-and-projects#/203700

Martha put her gentle coral on the walls and all the trim. I'll be using it on my ceiling too. You could do the same. EZ painting! NO BLUE TAPE!

Another consideration is what your teens will be doing in their room. Sleeping, maybe reading? Studying? Entertaining friends? A lot of rooms decorated for teens would give me the jitters, possibly vertigo. Aren't teens amped up enough already? So, I would steer away from sharply contrasting colors.

A chest of drawers or a desk under the window could do double duty as a nightstand. Use deep trays for coasters. It would also disguise the shortness of the window. To make this work, put the beds' legs on risers. (BBB has them.) The will look less like beds for children and more like beds for young ladies. In addition, you'll get more under-bed storage room.

Ruffles fight with the clean lines of the valence/pelmet above.

Still need vivid color? Put it on the floor in rugs.
  • Rebecca Behrent
    11 years ago
    I think you're having a hard time visualizing how the room might look with these colors because you're probably looking at what's there now (the pink and other colors) which distracts you from being able to visualize a new look. If you can, I'd get rid of it all and then take a good look. Or you might move stuff away from the main wall shown, at least, and start playing with ideas. Personally, I've found it easier to pick the accessories (bedding, pillows, decorations, etc.) before I start painting. You can then pull out colors from the accessories to use on the walls. Be careful, however - I wouldn't put coral or turquoise paint all over the walls. Perhaps paint just one wall in one of the colors. Behr paint and primer in one makes small sample jars that only cost about $3.50 each - but you could paint a sample color on a wall large enough to see how it's going to work. As a final thought, you could always stick to white or off-white for walls and woodwork, as coral and turquoise work beautifully with white.
  • PRO
    City Girls Decor
    11 years ago
    I love the combination of coral and turquoise. I have a few in my Etsy shop and I just love them~
  • PRO
    Trading Phrases
    11 years ago
    Coral and turquoise are both very bold, very gorgeous colors- great pick! Since teens are fickle here is what I would do
    1. remove the curtains and the wallpaper border... paint the wall a neutral color like an offwhite or creme.
    2. Buy coordinating bedding that matches what she is looking for-
    3. from there I'd get some wall decals (maybe these adorable bubble dots http://tradingphrases.com/bubble-dot-circles.html from Trading Phrases) or whatever she likes in colors to match the bedding. These decals look painted on and when she moves onto a new idea or color scheme they peel right off with no mess. These ones don't have a clear backing behind them so they don't look tacky. :) I think that would be really neat!!
  • Barbara Travis
    11 years ago
    Take your daughter shopping to find the bedding she likes. Strip the room of any colour & then get all the paint chips that blend in or compliment the bedding then have a ball creating a lovely room for your daughter to enjoy. Lucky you decorating for your daughter, I had two boys & would have loved to go wild decorating for a girl.
  • lessismoore
    11 years ago
    Great ideas - Love the white walls to make it all work - using your photo, I tried to replicate your area with some of the suggestions here - I really like (but could not do in this time frame) the idea of hanging some colored prisms/beads from sconces, chandelier type fixtures to - girly it up. Also, I found that teens love to hang photos/poster of their faves - maybe delineating a "framed" area keeps that looking good.
  • swewer
    11 years ago
    Coral can be bright and sophisticated, too. I did 2 bedrooms in coral. What seems to balance it out is taupe, and dark wood, or creamy white ( not stark white ) and hints of black with white headboards. Take a look at what I did at home for some ideas. Start fresh with the walls with either creamy white or soft taupe beige. The choose dark wood headboards ( paint over what you have ) or white furniture. You only need splashes of the coral to make an impact, usually in the form of a pillow or throw blanket or lamp, etc. As for Turquoise, go softer with a lighter version of it..team it with creamy white and silver and maybe a bit of soft yellow here and there. It can be timeless instead of trendy. See my 3 rooms I did myself for ideas.
  • PRO
    City Girls Decor
    11 years ago
    You could also do a coral and turquoise photo frame wall. Here is a custom set I did for a customer a few months ago https://www.etsy.com/transaction/57837983. See the 4th and 5th photo for the bright turquoise color I did. Then I could add coral for you too! Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Sonia Isle
    11 years ago
    How about instead of white or bright turquoise or coral, going with a soft teal. The first color on the chip. Use white bedding and use bright coral and teal in your sheets, drapes, etc. This is the color scheme for my 10 year old, but I want it to grow with her.
  • PRO
    Rose Abby Design
    11 years ago
    Try going neutral on the wall - a shade of white would be great for coral or turquoise to pop off of. Keep the color in your accents - pillows, artwork, throws, etc... A nice touch would be to paint the headboard coral, allowing it to pop up against the white wall. A simple white curtain with a coral banding on the leading edge would bring some coral to the walls and tie it all together... you can either use a rod to hang the curtains or put them behind a box valance and use the banding to line the two sides and bottom to match the curtain.