Kitchen layout.
qzhan123
I am purchasing a house with a U shape kitchen and the space is a little small. I am wondering if i can extend the kitchen to create more counter space but there is a door in the way. From your experiences, do you think it is possible to design around the door?
kah416
Yes! I would say just keep the cabinets going on the other side of the door! :)
October 10, 2012 at 8:25pm     
Danijela Quenzler
Can you move the door to the window opening all the way to the left? Notnsure if the fridge wall can be taken down, so you could create space and maybe put in an island where the kitchen table is now. Difficult to tell what lays beyond the picture.
October 10, 2012 at 10:33pm   
If you can move the table down, maybe you can have a penninsula on this side of the door.
October 10, 2012 at 11:46pm   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Don't think you have room to extend the cabinetry and countertop unless you can remove a wall or whatever is on the right side of the picture.
October 11, 2012 at 4:32am   
Why not add a large pantry to the left of the door? You wouldn't have to worry about matching a countertop and if you keep it shallow enough (say, 12") it should be enough to store food and not interfere with the door.
October 11, 2012 at 5:14am     
Gabberts Design Studio
I think you could definitely extend the cabinets on the other side of the door. It would be nice to add a countertop type buffet with lower cabinets only. It could act as a piece of furniture, but be really functional with lots of storage underneath. Match the cabinets and countertops exactly.
October 11, 2012 at 5:25am   
annoulaxeni
I'm with Bobbi P -- shallow cupboards hold an AMAZING amount of stuff, and access is so much easier than with deep (especially when it's without a counter you have all that prime-height space available for storage).
October 11, 2012 at 5:35am     
babyblue1588
extending counter space beyond the door would be pointless for prep...you would never use it to prepare food because itd be on the other side of that huge double oven and too far from the sink/fridge. It could function as storage but it'd also take up space from the eating area as well as crowding the door.. from what i see the only way to create more counter space would be to get rid of the double oven and stove top and get an all in one..but is it worth it for that much counter space? i dont think so
October 11, 2012 at 6:12am   
Need Help to Liven Up The Red Brick Ranch
OK, I need to repaint the front door and shutters....
Old building, apt. rental, very small, typical layout
Am just moving into a very predictable very small 1...
What should we do with this large space below the screened porch?
I need suggestions on design for this large area. ...
Need Help with Lights in My Kitchen
We are remodeling our kitchen. All cabinets will be...